PDA

View Full Version : The 26 Nosler

Pages : [1] 2 3

wch
12-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Are any of the barrel makers chambering barrels in this caliber?

missed
12-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I bet someone will, I have not even seen anybody making reamers for it yet. I bet it won't be till late 2014 before we see one outside of the shot show. I wonder what it actually is, 375 ruger parent case maybe? I bet it is a barrel cooker, I can't think of that much speed not being one. the 6.5x284 is 2800-3000 fps and maybe stretch 1500 rounds though it. Picking up 400~ FPS over the Norma I bet that would be a short barrel life. I am still intrigued by the screamer, but I don't know if it is enough to try it.

chukarmandoo
12-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't think its really anything new? These days everybody wants on the 6.5 bandwagon. Plenty to choose from already.

stomp442
12-03-2013, 11:04 PM
+1 plenty of other cartridges out there that meet or come very close to this performance already. 6.5-300wsm 6.5-06 ackley 6.5 saum. Heck even the 264 win mag is pretty close. I dont see the need for reinventing the wheel. 6.5s are growing in popularity though and I am happy to see that.

sinman
12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
I didn't think it was anything impressive, my Sin gets ~300fps on it and the 6.5wsm will match it or better it. I will probably end up with a reamer if the demand is there. Shot show is in a month and I bet Dave has prints and probably grinding reamers for it.

EOD350
12-13-2013, 03:27 PM
I read a thread on the L/R hunting site, supposedly from an insider the round was based on a 404 Jeffery case. At any rate you'd better have a new barrel in your back pocket if you are prone to shoot it much. I agree with Sinman, do a 6.5 WSM and have no where near the issues. The advertised velocity of the Nosler may be fast, but who cares how fast you miss. Accuracy is the name of the game.

Hotolds442
12-13-2013, 09:15 PM
I read a thread on the L/R hunting site, supposedly from an insider the round was based on a 404 Jeffery case. At any rate you'd better have a new barrel in your back pocket if you are prone to shoot it much. I agree with Sinman, do a 6.5 WSM and have no where near the issues. The advertised velocity of the Nosler may be fast, but who cares how fast you miss. Accuracy is the name of the game.
If that's the case, it's just a 6.5 Dakota with Noslers name on it. Nothing that hasn't been done before, yawn.

Blue Avenger
01-27-2014, 11:57 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/917701/ptg-solid-pilot-chamber-finish-reamer-26-nosler

davemuzz
01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
http://www.26nosler.com/_images/charts/cartridge.png

Here is the cartridge measurements directly from the Nosler web site. Go to this link and then scroll down past the video. http://www.26nosler.com Yeah.....I'm thinking a new barrel is "needed".

Dave

davemuzz
01-27-2014, 02:01 PM
If that's the case, it's just a 6.5 Dakota with Noslers name on it. Nothing that hasn't been done before, yawn.

Well....except maybe you don't have to spend monster dollars on a Dakota....and you will now have a source for brass.

BTW, below is the Dakota 7MM that Dakota says MV is 3400fps from a 24" barrel:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/site/ballisticstudies/images/book_drawings/7mm%20Dakota%20final.jpg

7mm Dakota
A .545
B .545
C 30 deg
D .531
E .315
F 1.980
G .333
H 2.500
Max Case 2.510
Trim length 2.500

missed
01-27-2014, 02:02 PM
That's why I think my 6.5 build is going to be a 6.5wsm.

yobuck
01-27-2014, 05:03 PM
with what bullet weight on the 7mm dakota dave?
im in that area with my 7x300 weatherby with a 162 hornady.
about 3200 with a 180. that in a 27"barrel.
the reason my 6.5 wsm went down the road.

davemuzz
01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
with what bullet weight on the 7mm dakota dave?
im in that area with my 7x300 weatherby with a 162 hornady.
about 3200 with a 180. that in a 27"barrel.
the reason my 6.5 wsm went down the road.

I went to the Dakota web site to find the info on the 6.5 Dakota and couldn't find anything. All I could find was the 7mm Dakota....so I figured it had to be somewhat close to the 6.5 Dakota. That's the only reason I posted it. Then I figured some 'inquiring mind" such as you would ask why I posted that!! :) I thought the 6.5 Dakota was their proprietary cartridge as I'm not familiar with it. But, from the limited search I've done it appears to be a wildcat cartridge. Resellable to those rifle loonies (like me) who get way too far into ballistic "stuff". Not a bad thing....less money that a '65 Mustang fastback!!!!

The 7X300 is a barn burner as well. I'm not a fan of any belted cartridge. Just for the reason they can get jammed up during a fast bolt reload. And when your hunting...when do you actually do a slow bolt reload? But, the dislike of a belted cartridge is just a personal preference on my part. Has nothing to do with the cartridge performance.

Dave

yobuck
01-28-2014, 02:10 PM
the argument over belted and non belted is a never ending situation. ive never had nor have i ever seen a stuck case due to a belt.
i have had cases stuck without a belt however. its the main reason i full legnth resize my cases.
i carry a rod with me in my jeep at all times for that purpose. also several size bronze brushes.
i make it a practice of chambering every round i take hunting with me on the larger rifles. the best thing would be to dispose of the
cases for hunting after the third firing at most. ill admitt to being lax about that. i have a hunting buddy who uses colored sharpies
for keeping track of times loaded by coloring the primer. i bought sharpies and intend to start doing that. i had 2 case failures this
past season while firing at animals. fortunatly both extracted without incident. i was never much of a fan about annealing but i am now.
age of brass is no doubt as much an issue as times fired. especially with the reshaped cases of wildcats.

davemuzz
01-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I don't really have an argument about 'em. A buddy of mine has a 7mm mag and a few years ago I watched his second round jam because of the belted case. Well...I don't wanna argue about it, but even he though it was the belt that was the issue. Meh!

If I were to move up to a 7mm, I'd probably go to the 7mm Ultra Mag. But...OTOH, I really have no use for such a rifle. In fact, I really don't "need" a Nosler 26....and honestly, it will probably be in the "future get" column anyway. But...I do like the idea of having a 6.5mm cartridge to load up and whack a groundhog or even a crow with a flat shooting 129 or 130gr. bullet.

Besides....I can just stock up on one caliber of bullet!!!

Dave

maxl
01-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Now what kinda fun would that be dave only one caliber of bullets , sometimes you need to let the mad scientist in you loose, besides everyone needs more quaility time in the labratory. seriously though the 26 nosler looks interesting shoots flat to 400 more research is most certainly needed I do like the 6.5 so l am sure if it can do what there sayin a new barrel is in the future

yobuck
01-28-2014, 05:23 PM
well it certainly is stirring up some excitment and that cant be all bad.
it all depends on what your interest are as to how these things work for you.
my guns are all for hunting and fall into two catagories. one for varmits and one for larger animals.
for me the 6.5 is appealing but falls into sort of a grey area. maybe more than needed for varmits
and not quite enough for the larger animals at the distances i shoot. years back before all the technical
stuff we now have we had a simple approach for picking the best gun.
sight them in at a hundred then dont touch the scope. now lets go shoot at a rock on a hillside at about a 1000 yds.
if mine lands higher on the hill than yours i win. that tends to seperate the bc from the bs.

Okiebonecollector
01-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Hey guys I'm a new member to the site... I'm from oklahoma and I'm a huge deer and turkey hunter. I'm wanting to build a custom rifle but have never even attempted to start one... I really need some help from you guys! I want a rifle that is very accurate and One that can reach out to 600-800 yards comfortably... My email is dromines14@gmail.com... I would greatly appreciate someone working with me and helping me out. Thanks

yobuck
01-28-2014, 07:57 PM
reaching out to 800 yds would be relativly easy for many of todays cartridges. its from that point out that would
be more challenging with cartridge choice and frankly shooter ability
assuming were on the same page and you are talking about hunting? you certainly couldnt go wrong with any of the 6.5 offerings from savage and others for what your describing.
as for a custom gun i wouldnt reccomend doing that at least initially. once you get your legs under you and find
out for sure where your needs are that could change. then again it may never change. the rem sendero has been
extremly popular with long range shooters. some of the savage models could do likewise. you will spend far more time
"hunting" than shooting. how you do that will be far more important than the gun you use. its a totaly different concept
and thought process. it can also get very boring which is why some very good hunters dont like doing it.
if you like marlin fishing you could well like long range hunting. sometimes days maybe a whole season seeing nothing to shoot at.
hopefully the boredom will be occaisionaly interupted by chaos. controlling the chaos is the important part. go slowly, try to go with
someone else on their boat first before ordering one of your own.

davemuzz
01-29-2014, 01:39 PM
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww125/pdhorwath/375Ruger.jpg

Here's the case dimensions (above) of the 375 Ruger

And below are the case dimensions of the Nosler 26.....

http://www.26nosler.com/_images/charts/cartridge.png

I'm not the guy who did the research.....but thru Google I did find where someone of a gun background stated this was the rumor.....that the N-26 parent case is the 375 Ruger. Looks like it's close....and perhaps could be made from the 375 brass.

BTW....go to this link: http://www.26nosler.com/_media/26Nosler_Comparison-Charts_Low-Res.pdf and you will get the N-26 velocity\energy and bullet drop comparisons to a pile of different calibers....including 7mm with heavier bullets. Compare the bullet drops using the 200 yard zero chart and the results are impressive.

Dave