PDA

View Full Version : Why spend thousands on a custom gun

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pbracken556
11-28-2013, 02:54 PM
I have recently purchased a savage model 10 FCP-sr along with a leupold mark 4 for the optic. I was figuring on this being my budget long rand rifle. Now I still have no clue what it's going to be capable of out past 800 yards but after working up a load for it and going through all my options this is what I ended up with....http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/asahaneh.jpg

That's a 3 shot group @ 100 yards.

I guess what I'm getting at is you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a rifle capable of this kind of accuracy.

LoneWolf
11-28-2013, 02:59 PM
I agree, however a rifle that maintains that accuracy out to its maximum effective range takes a solid rig!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

pbracken556
11-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Your exactly right..... Here in PA during the winter months it's just to windy to try to get accurate shots at long distances so this summer u can bet ur a** I'll be pushing the limits of this gun to see what's it's really capable of. Now whether I got lucky when I bought the gun and ended up with a really good one or I'm just lucky so far, I don't know that yet either but for just getting into long distance shooting and trying to be on the inexpensive side of it, I couldn't be more pleased

RP12
11-28-2013, 04:43 PM
I agree, however a rifle that maintains that accuracy out to its maximum effective range takes a solid rig!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2If it shoots that well a 100 yards, why would you need a "solid rig" to get that accuracy at maximum effective range ? The rifle has no affect on the bullet after it leaves the barrel, no ? So explain please.

pbracken556
11-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I never even thought about it like that. Well I do know that this issue will be resolved as soon as I can get some good shots way way way down range. I gotta wait till the weather permits me to do that

yobuck
11-28-2013, 05:18 PM
well ive met very few gunsmiths i didnt like and they like to eat also.
that said i agree most savages shoot very well. but i personaly dont subscribe to working on my own.
since your new here and somewhat impartial ill nominate you to check out the most popular
cartridges used by (serious) long rangers here in the keystone state.
the weather by the way is great. about 5" of snow and moderate temps. perfect for what we
like to do. at least thats the conditions where im sitting.

RP12
11-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I never even thought about it like that. Well I do know that this issue will be resolved as soon as I can get some good shots way way way down range. I gotta wait till the weather permits me to do thatSometimes hype clouds common sense, LOL.

pbracken556
11-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Well I'm not sure where you live in pa but where I have my shooting range set up is up on top a hill. And on the top of a hill wind is a issue for me there is steady ten to fifteen mph winds and they are constantly changing. But during the summer the wind does die down a ton....little to almost none. Thus the summer months are a lot better to shoot for groups at longer ranges.

kdvarmint
11-28-2013, 05:52 PM
I have recently purchased a savage model 10 FCP-sr along with a leupold mark 4 for the optic. I was figuring on this being my budget long rand rifle. Now I still have no clue what it's going to be capable of out past 800 yards but after working up a load for it and going through all my options this is what I ended up with....http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/asahaneh.jpg

That's a 3 shot group @ 100 yards.

I guess what I'm getting at is you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a rifle capable of this kind of accuracy.

That's not uncommon from Savage at all. Lets see it 5 Times in a row. That's the difference.

RP12
11-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Consistency and repeatability are what you "should" get with a high dollar rig. If your Savage can shoot like that consistently at 100 yards, long range potential should also be there.

sniper15545
11-28-2013, 07:08 PM
If it doesn't do it five times in a row its not the arrow! My fcp-k does it regularly and I live in PA.

pbracken556
11-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I can shoot 1/2" groups all day long ..... That one there is just the best I have done

bootsmcguire
11-28-2013, 08:09 PM
JMHO, but 3 shots proves the rifle, 5 shots proves the man behind it.

GSRswapandslow
11-28-2013, 08:44 PM
A single 3 shot group proves nothing. Go shoot a 10 shot group....then do it each day for a week.....then take your Agg.

Custom guns shoot good groups consistently, in different weather conditions, temps, altitudes, etc.

Going out and shooting 5 bad groups and 1 good is what you get with a factory gun.

And 1/2" at 100yds, or even 200, won't likely put you in the top ten at a bench rest match

kdvarmint
11-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I can shoot 1/2" groups all day long ..... That one there is just the best I have done

That's what I would expect. And that's Darn good with a Factory gun.

kdvarmint
11-28-2013, 09:34 PM
And 1/2" at 100yds, or even 200, won't likely put you in the top ten at a bench rest match

You can be very competitive shooting 1/2" groups consistently. Top 10 depends on the competition. I've beaten many custom rifles with my factory 308 in 500yd shoots. Guns never win, shooters do. And the top shooters are very tough to hang with. Dollar for dollar, you just got to pick what level you want to compete at.

GSRswapandslow
11-28-2013, 09:37 PM
You can be very competitive shooting 1/2" groups consistently. Top 10 depends on the competition. I've beaten many custom rifles with my factory 308 in 500yd shoots. Guns never win, shooters do. And the top shooters are very tough to hang with. Dollar for dollar, you just got to pick what level you want to compete at.

I'm not sure what matches you go to....but its not benchrest...

kdvarmint
11-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Ok, if you say so.

GSRswapandslow
11-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Ok, if you say so.

Even the local sportsman matches here have a top ten of nothing more than .2's.

bootsmcguire
11-28-2013, 09:45 PM
JMHO, but 3 shots proves the rifle, 5 shots proves the man behind it.

A single 3 shot group proves nothing. Go shoot a 10 shot group....then do it each day for a week.....then take your Agg.

Custom guns shoot good groups consistently, in different weather conditions, temps, altitudes, etc.

Going out and shooting 5 bad groups and 1 good is what you get with a factory gun.

Repeatability was kind of a given to my above statement. I should have worded that better.