PDA

View Full Version : Primary Extraction Failure-- swapping bolt handle didn't help

Pages : [1] 2 3

kuduman
08-30-2013, 11:03 AM
So I've got essentially zero primary extraction on my target rifle. It shoots well; it's just that I have to hammer the bolt open with a mallet after every shot these days.

I read all the threads on here, and it sounds like the corrective options are:

1.) Replace the bolt handle with one that's in spec.

2.) Shorten the bolt body.

3.) Add some set screws in a location I've yet to figure out.

I bought the Tactical Works bolt handle, which helped not at all. Nice bolt handle; I'll keep it for another project.

Shortening the body sounds difficult, as does the set-screw fix. Surely there is an off-the-shelf solution that fixes this problem? It must be an extremely common problem, based on the posts here. Is there no bridge, bolt body, or oversized bolt handle out there?

Thanks.

Kuduman

scope eye
08-30-2013, 11:05 AM
If I was a Betting man, I would say your headspace is way to tight.

Dean

kuduman
08-30-2013, 11:21 AM
If I was a Betting man, I would say your headspace is way to tight.

Dean

That's possible-- I put the barrel on myself, with the proper tools, but I'm new at that.

This does appear to be an extraction problem, just to elaborate. The bolt handle raises fine, but doesn't want to go back. It hangs with fired cases, that were very lightly loaded.

If my headspace is too tight though, it's in the "handful of thousandths" range. But not 0.050" or so, like the PE spec suggests.

scope eye
08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
There is no rhyme or reason, to how quirky a chamber can be. I only say that because that is the most common problem, I have to fix for other folks that have installed there own barrels, I rarely if ever see to much headspace, check it again just to eliminate that factor.

Dean

earl39
08-30-2013, 12:05 PM
It could also be the rear baffle being out of spec. Also could be a stacking of minimum specs causing it. If you have another bolt you can borrow the rear baffle from try that after rechecking your head space. The easiest way to see if it is primary extraction is use a feeler gauge between the bolt handle and rear baffle placed on the bevel. May be as little as 5 thousandths or as much as 30 out of spec.

stangfish
08-30-2013, 01:00 PM
If what earl says is true the best way to check it that I have found is to slide a feeler gauge between the action and the rear baffle. You wont bend your feeler gauge that way. One solution if changing out the baffle is to shorten the bolt at the rear, maintaing the step(two slots) dimensions to original specs.

CharlieNC
08-30-2013, 05:03 PM
A handful of thou headspace is all it takes to make for a very difficult bolt lift; that is why you hear the suggestion to full length size to bump the shoulder back .002". It's a lot easier to recheck that you set the barrel headspace properly before trying to fix something else that ain't broken and perhaps messing that up. Try intentionally setting the headspace "loose" to see if you have the same extraction problem.

stangfish
08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Clarify loose Charlie

I am betting the hedspace was set to short also. A set of gauges will eliminate the variables.

CharlieNC
08-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Its not clear whether this is factory or self loaded ammo so this is for diagnostic purpose at this point. Two layers of tape (approx .004) on brass fired in this rifle could be used to set loose headspace. If the bolt works OK then you know HS is the issue to fix using combination of setting properly plus sizing brass accordingly if loading.

sharpshooter
08-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Headspace has nothing to do with lack of primary extraction. Chances are the new bolt handle is out of spec too. The baffles do not vary that much, but the bolt body lengths will. Take in consideration that there is .020" slack in the bolt assembly from the front to the back. The back of the bolt will move .020" before the extractor will even grip the case solid. It usually takes about .035" more to break it loose, for a total of .055" measured from the boltface.

BillPa
08-31-2013, 10:29 AM
3.) Add some set screws in a location I've yet to figure out.

I'll save you some time.
http://i41.tinypic.com/14xctgp.jpg

6-32s adjusted then secured with 242. Just make sure the screws are adjusted so the face of the baffle sets square to the receiver ring.

Bill

scope eye
08-31-2013, 11:32 AM
All I know is that I have encountered barrels that were installed, with not enough headspace and had this exact same problem, I set it to the correct clearances and the problem went away, maybe this is not this forum members problem in particular, but I have see this happen.

Dean

M_Trivette
09-02-2013, 03:13 AM
hi guys
I do have have enough knowledge about headspace and bolt bodies to say what the problem is.
Sounds like some of you have a lot more experience than I in those matters.

I would like to add something to think about
the O.P. stated
"This does appear to be an extraction problem, just to elaborate. The bolt handle raises fine, but doesn't want to go back. It hangs with fired cases, that were very lightly loaded. "

And this quote from page 215 of Hornady 9th edition reloading handbook

"slow burning powders used with long bullets behave differently when loaded with reduced charges. These lighter charges may cause unexpectedly high pressure. On occasion primers are blow, bolts stick or even stocks are splintered. This only occures with lighter charge of slow burning propellants and we definitely do not recommend such use in the 243 winchester"

not saying this is the cause but the O.P. saying the loads that were sticking were "very lightly loaded " just got me thinking. It doesn't have to be a 243 he's shooting (I saw a guy stick a 308 by dropping bellow start load)

hope you get it figured out whatever the problem

Michael

Skunce
09-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Try what stangfish suggested it worked for me, it's a quick and easy check. I would try a .020" blade to start with. If your bolt closes easily on your loaded rounds then changing the headspace won't help. I had to shorten one of my bolt bodies after installing an aftermarket bolt handle.

Skunce
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
I found this on youtube. I would put the feeler gauge between the receiver and the baffle like stangfish suggested though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1ddHYW6wA

geargrinder
09-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I fix my primary extraction problems the same way Billpa does. Works very well.

kuduman
09-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Guys,

I have the headspace go and no-go gauges from when I set up the barrel the first time. I pulled the barrel tonight, and if I increase headspace 1/2 barrel turn past where the no-go chambers, it extracts. If you're not following me, that's WAY out of spec...

Headspace, from what little I know, is not the problem.

For the other commentors, yes, the feeler gauge/shim made it extract just fine. And I own one Savage bolt handle with which it extracts, but it's way too short for target use. I could cut off the knob and all that jazz, but is there really not a simple way to fix this? If someone sold a thicker bridge...

Is there really no simpler solution than set screws? (Thank you for posting the pictures of that, btw billpa.) That seems like a solution with a whole bunch of additional failure mechanisms.

I have a friend with a mill-- shorten the bolt body? And hope I don't ruin the threads? Weld up the "ramp", and file it down to +.050"?

I have to say I'm rethinking the Savage action for long-range shooting based on this. I'm committed, but for my friends and for more guns for me... Rem/age seems like the way to go. This is for the birds. I have time and resources to fix this, but not everyone does.

Still looking for a simple solution...

Kuduman

stangfish
09-03-2013, 10:07 PM
If you have a friend with a mill and some small carbide endmills Remove the amount off the end that is equal to the feeler gauge. Maintain the deppth of the slot.

sharpshooter
09-03-2013, 10:11 PM
The easiest fix is to find a bolt handle in spec.

geargrinder
09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
It you are going to shorten the bolt body you have to make sure you will still have clearance in the bolt slot of the action and stock.

Putting set screws in the baffle is much easier than milling the end of the bolt body.