PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 BA .308

Pages : [1] 2 3

keoni008
06-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Hi newbie here and i had a question regarding my new 10BA. I had a 10FP before and upgraded to a 10BA in 308 and now my reloads not chambering or if it does i see a shiny circle on the back of the casing. I was told that the 10BA is alot tighter then the 10FP, i was using LC brass and found out its way to thick so i went to PMC brass. At the moment my reloads are 168g HPBT hornady heads, IMR 4064 powder with 42grains, OAL is 2.75, this had no problem at all in my 10FP. Also the extractor pin and spring was gone when i went to pull the round out and extract the shell case, im kinda thinking it could be a case issue and or the loads are too hot. Did anyone else have the same problem? Any help would be awesome thank you!

eddiesindian
06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Savage riggs are known for having tight chambers, more so when there new.
I found out quickly my chamber was tight after I mic,d my fired brass and compared it to my resized.
I solve,d it by using a small bass,full lenght rcbs die

keoni008
06-04-2013, 02:32 PM
What kind of powder are you using and how much grains? Im using IMR 4064 at 42 grains and it seems like there is to much back pressure, my extractor pin got stuck and there was a little shiny circle on the back of the shell.

eddiesindian
06-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Im using RL-15 on 150SMKs. I have 2 loads 1@ 43gr and another for distance @45.5gr. Be as it may, your running 168,s but 42gr of 4064 isnt pushing the envelope.
look at the primer on the spent cartrige and see if the firing pin indentation isnt partually blown back.
I suggest that you mic one of your fired brass against brass youve already resized. get your readings from 3 seperate locations on the brass. just below the neck where the taper ends, middle, and bottom shoulder.
fyi...small base full lenght die usually resize,s the base of the brass about .002 smaller

bodywerks
06-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Think you meant savage model 10BA...

keoni008
06-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Think you meant savage model 10BA...Thanks for the correction

keoni008
06-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Im using RL-15 on 150SMKs. I have 2 loads 1@ 43gr and another for distance @45.5gr. Be as it may, your running 168,s but 42gr of 4064 isnt pushing the envelope.
look at the primer on the spent cartrige and see if the firing pin indentation isnt partually blown back.
I suggest that you mic one of your fired brass against brass youve already resized. get your readings from 3 seperate locations on the brass. just below the neck where the taper ends, middle, and bottom shoulder.
fyi...small base full lenght die usually resize,s the base of the brass about .002 smallerOn a few of my shells the primer actually got blown completely out of the shell. The cases that still had the primers had a sharp point where the firing pin struck them. Do you think using a small base die will solve this issue?

bodywerks
06-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Small base die won't help blown primers. Invest in brass meant for reloading, preferably lapua, but win, Remington, Hornady, nosler, etc are all exponentially better than PMC.
Also make sure you're not jamming into the lands...

earl39
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
it is not the brass it is the load.. You took a load you worked up in a different rifle and now want to blame the chamber, then the brass when you should work the load up again. If the chamber is tighter the pressure will increase causing stuck cases, blown primers or hard extraction or any combination of problems. The only place to worry about a tight chamber is the neck. Measure your brass before and after being fired. You should have at least 2/1000 difference and more than that is not a real problem. If 2/1000 or less you will need brass with a thinner neck or turn your necks.

keoni008
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
it is not the brass it is the load.. You took a load you worked up in a different rifle and now want to blame the chamber, then the brass when you should work the load up again. If the chamber is tighter the pressure will increase causing stuck cases, blown primers or hard extraction or any combination of problems. The only place to worry about a tight chamber is the neck. Measure your brass before and after being fired. You should have at least 2/1000 difference and more than that is not a real problem. If 2/1000 or less you will need brass with a thinner neck or turn your necks.First of all im not blaming anything, all im doing is asking for any type of help or information. But thank you for your info, i appreciate any help!

earl39
06-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Keoni my comment was not aimed at you so much as some of the other posters. Understanding you are a newbie and am asking for help means everyone should read your post very closely. The PPU brass will load just fine if and i do say IF the chamber is not to tight for the necks. Will it give you benchrest quality reloads? Not likely. I guess i really should reread my own post as it does seem i am pointing just at you which was not the intent. Prep your brass and work a load up, never start at the upper end. Get more than one reloading manual and remember to heavy of a charge will cause high pressure and so will to light of a charge. To light of a charge COULD cause a detonation which is a disaster. Until you feel the urge to remove fingers and face parts check internet loads against the manuals and work up to them as each weapon is different.

eddiesindian
06-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Hi newbie here and i had a question regarding my new 10BA. I had a 10FP before and upgraded to a 10BA in 308 and now my reloads not chambering or if it does i see a shiny circle on the back of the casing. I was told that the 10BA is alot tighter then the 10FP, i was using LC brass and found out its way to thick so i went to PMC brass. At the moment my reloads are 168g HPBT hornady heads, IMR 4064 powder with 42grains, OAL is 2.75, this had no problem at all in my 10FP. Also the extractor pin and spring was gone when i went to pull the round out and extract the shell case, im kinda thinking it could be a case issue and or the loads are too hot. Did anyone else have the same problem? Any help would be awesome thank you!

Info so far given:...42gr,s 4064....hornady HPBT 168....OAL 2.75
Question,s:...... Have you trimed your brass back to std lenght?....have you had a chance to mic your fired case and compare it to "your resized" case?........its so vitally important to mic the case,s to resolve issues. mics dont lie.
fyi...of the last 2 savage,s Ive own (brand new)...they both had tight chambers. My shooting partner just purchased a model 10 sr and low and behold...tight chamber.(not a bad thing)
the only way you can see it for yourself is to mic

keoni008
06-06-2013, 02:55 AM
Keoni my comment was not aimed at you so much as some of the other posters. Understanding you are a newbie and am asking for help means everyone should read your post very closely. The PPU brass will load just fine if and i do say IF the chamber is not to tight for the necks. Will it give you benchrest quality reloads? Not likely. I guess i really should reread my own post as it does seem i am pointing just at you which was not the intent. Prep your brass and work a load up, never start at the upper end. Get more than one reloading manual and remember to heavy of a charge will cause high pressure and so will to light of a charge. To light of a charge COULD cause a detonation which is a disaster. Until you feel the urge to remove fingers and face parts check internet loads against the manuals and work up to them as each weapon is different.Thank you for being so honest, and i really do appreciate all the help!

keoni008
06-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Info so far given:...42gr,s 4064....hornady HPBT 168....OAL 2.75
Question,s:...... Have you trimed your brass back to std lenght?....have you had a chance to mic your fired case and compare it to "your resized" case?........its so vitally important to mic the case,s to resolve issues. mics dont lie.
fyi...of the last 2 savage,s Ive own (brand new)...they both had tight chambers. My shooting partner just purchased a model 10 sr and low and behold...tight chamber.(not a bad thing)
the only way you can see it for yourself is to micI havent had time to mic just yet, but will do it the first chance i get! Thank you!

eddiesindian
06-06-2013, 10:20 AM
your welcome.
now as far as the primers blowing out?..thats tell tail signs of over pressure or worn primer pockets due to fatigue,d brass but as I said before, 42gr of 4062 isnt pushing the envelope.
you mentioned that you had tight bolt closure which withen itself leans towards brass resizing either due to incorrect die settings or chamber issues (tight chamber) incorrect brass lenght.
good luck.......let us know what you find out when you mic the cases

earl39
06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I suggest try some factory ammo and if you still have the same problems send it back to savage with a letter telling what it is doing and the make and lot number of the factory ammo. If factory ammo works fine it will be somewhere in the load/components.

Balljoint
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I found that also about the Military brass as i tried to use some LC Match as test loads and would not chamber as the Federal brass i loaded with with the 185 gr Berger Match had no trouble cambering but didn't have enough to get it on paper and get to group.

earl39
06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
ok everyone with LC brass that don't like it just send it to me for proper disposal.

keoni008
06-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Ok heres is what i got when i mic'd the case:
After the case was fired:
Neck of shell .331"
Middle of Taper .408"
Middle of shell .457"
Bottom .465"

Mic'd after resized:
Neck of shell: .343"
Middle of taper: .433"
Middle of case .461"