PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 BA .308

Pages : 1 [2] 3

earl39
06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Looking at the measurements are a little confusing as it is showing the neck of a fired shell as smaller than a resized brass. Are you sure you didn't get some of the measurements confused? Give us the same measurements on a loaded round and recheck the measurements you have listed.

eddiesindian
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
you do infact without a dought have a tight chamber. thats jsut about the same dimensions I got out of mine when new.
Im suprised your were even able to close the bolt.
3 options....your choice.......1:get a small base full lenght die,(rcbs if you so wish) set the dies accordingly as per instru. 2: get a match set of dies (lots of $$$$)...Get a collet (neck sizing die) so you can use your fire formed brass on "your" rifle. the collet die resizes the neck only. saves time resizing, no lube, no mess, the life of the brass is extended.
providing that your case,s are cut to std. lenght, (me personally) would go with small base full lenght die.
I went down this rd yrs ago with my new savage and once i mic,d I realized that my dies werent "fit" for my savage,s tight chamber. double cking my dies for correct depth and settings. I purchased a small base full lenght die from rcbs and problem solved.
Im sure that youve cleaned the chamber thourghly as well.
Question....will your rigg chamber a brand new factory oem round with out any resistance?

keoni008
06-07-2013, 02:50 AM
you do infact without a dought have a tight chamber. thats jsut about the same dimensions I got out of mine when new.
Im suprised your were even able to close the bolt.
3 options....your choice.......1:get a small base full lenght die,(rcbs if you so wish) set the dies accordingly as per instru. 2: get a match set of dies (lots of $$$$)...Get a collet (neck sizing die) so you can use your fire formed brass on "your" rifle. the collet die resizes the neck only. saves time resizing, no lube, no mess, the life of the brass is extended.
providing that your case,s are cut to std. lenght, (me personally) would go with small base full lenght die.
I went down this rd yrs ago with my new savage and once i mic,d I realized that my dies werent "fit" for my savage,s tight chamber. double cking my dies for correct depth and settings. I purchased a small base full lenght die from rcbs and problem solved.
Im sure that youve cleaned the chamber thourghly as well.
Question....will your rigg chamber a brand new factory oem round with out any resistance?Yes it will chamber a factory round no problem at all, and ejects the spent rds no problem either.

keoni008
06-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Looking at the measurements are a little confusing as it is showing the neck of a fired shell as smaller than a resized brass. Are you sure you didn't get some of the measurements confused? Give us the same measurements on a loaded round and recheck the measurements you have listed.Do you know how to put up a picture on this site, Im trying to put up a picture of the shell case with the measurements and where I mic'd them from

thomae
06-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Do you know how to put up a picture on this site, Im trying to put up a picture of the shell case with the measurements and where I mic'd them from
Hopefully this will help you: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20418-The-ultimate-guide-to-posting-pictures-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it!

read it and if you still don't understand, ask more questions.

keoni008
06-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Heres a pict of what i was trying to say. http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y412/keoni008/20130607_064955_zps66e39410.jpg

earl39
06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Ok you had the fired and resized numbers reversed earlier. Have you tried a different powder? If the loads are to hot,and i suspect they are, Try backing down to a 41gr charge. I wouldn't go below 40grs. If you have a different can of powder try that also. Could be you somehow got a bad can. Also be sure you are not jamming the bullet as that will raise pressure also.

Tell us where you are as someone might be close enough to give you a hand.

keoni008
06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Ok you had the fired and resized numbers reversed earlier. Have you tried a different powder? If the loads are to hot,and i suspect they are, Try backing down to a 41gr charge. I wouldn't go below 40grs. If you have a different can of powder try that also. Could be you somehow got a bad can. Also be sure you are not jamming the bullet as that will raise pressure also.

Tell us where you are as someone might be close enough to give you a hand.I will be trying everything that was posted, i will get back to everyone. I live in Hawaii and thank you for all the helpful info!!!

eddiesindian
06-07-2013, 09:32 PM
great info!....
seeing as how you can easily close the bolt on a factory new oem rd, then that tell,s me that you do infact have a tight chamber....thats one issue...the other is th primer blowing out......Ive used 4062 before and I just cant say that "yes" 42,0 grs is too hot of a charge..unless like earl mention,d....bad possible old 4064 powder.
have you cut the brass down to std lenght?
do you have a chronograph?

keoni008
06-08-2013, 03:20 AM
great info!....
seeing as how you can easily close the bolt on a factory new oem rd, then that tell,s me that you do infact have a tight chamber....thats one issue...the other is th primer blowing out......Ive used 4062 before and I just cant say that "yes" 42,0 grs is too hot of a charge..unless like earl mention,d....bad possible old 4064 powder.
have you cut the brass down to std lenght?
do you have a chronograph?
I cut my brass down to factory specs, around 2.007", I do not have a Chronograph yet but trying to borrow one.

keoni008
06-13-2013, 02:21 AM
My friend told me i needed a small base die, so i ordered one. I was also wondering about maybe neck sizing and turning, does anyone recommend this? And what is the steps, 1st small base then shoot, 2nd neck size, 3rd turn the case? is this correct?

earl39
06-13-2013, 10:36 PM
looking at your drawing and measurements i would say you do not need to turn the necks. There should be more than enough clearance already and turning the necks will only shorten the life of your brass.

eddiesindian
06-14-2013, 12:23 AM
I agree, dont turn the necks.
imo......get a small/full lenght die and a collet/neck sizing die.
resize with small base, shoot it...resize with collet/neck sizing die...I can "usually" get away with using neck sized brass for about 3-4 times before it starts to get tight on extraction.

stangfish
06-14-2013, 01:55 AM
What does this mean? Does the chambers size increase an appreciable amount?

Savage riggs are known for having tight chambers, more so when there new.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb363/stangfish/dfc444b6_121054d1231181462-coral-star-dec-26th-jan-1-thread_is_worthless.jpg

I don't understand the .433 vs .408 dimension. The Saami specs for the LE of the web area of the case is .470 you are measuring .465. Work your way down the case slowly ensuring that the taper never gets larger as you move towards the sholder. Where is the back of the casing.

You have never discussed how many firings your brass has on it, if you have annealed it or not, If the primer pockets are loose or tight. What primer are you using? Where you got your powder from and was it factory sealed? Which dies are you using?

The problem with your extractor pin and spring came from a loose primer. Show us a picture of the bolt face.

A bullet is .308 the walls are near .015 per side that puts the neck at roughly .338 on loaded ammo. It is expanding to a dimension greater than .343 and then relaxing back to .343. Thats a minimum of .005 clearance in the neck area of the chamber. No problem there.

You are shooting a very safe load for any .308

Looks like the only money you need to spend is on brass. Stop all the buy this buy that stuff and go down and get some brand new brass.

keoni008
06-14-2013, 02:44 AM
What does this mean? Do the chambers increas an appreciable amount?

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb363/stangfish/dfc444b6_121054d1231181462-coral-star-dec-26th-jan-1-thread_is_worthless.jpg

I don't understand the .433 vs .408 dimension. The Saami specs for the LE of the web area of the case is .470 you are measuring .465. Work your way down the case slowly ensuring that the taper never gets larger as you move towards the sholder. Where is the back of the casing.

You have never discussed how many firings your brass has on it, if you have annealed it or not, If the primer pockets are loose or tight. What primer are you using? Where you got your powder from and was it factory sealed? Which dies are you using?

The problem with your extractor pin and spring came from a loose primer. Show us a picture of the bolt face.

A bullet is .308 the walls are near .015 per side that puts the neck at roughly .338 on loaded ammo. It is expanding to a dimension greater than .343 and then relaxing back to .343. Thats a minimum of .005 clearance in the neck area of the chamber. No problem there.

You are shooting a very safe load for any .308

Looks like the only money you need to spend is on brass. Stop all the buy this buy that stuff and go down and get some brand new brass.My brass is one time fired PMC, is that brass no good?

stangfish
06-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Are you having trouble with; the primers, extraction? Which dies are you using?

keoni008
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Are you having trouble with; the primers, extraction? Which dies are you using?I was using the Lee dies but i thought was the die so i borrowed my friends redding die and same problem. Im having a hard time just chambering a empty round after its sized, so i ordered a small base die and well see from there.

stangfish
06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Why do your cartridges that you have loaded not fit your chamber. You must think long and hard about this or you will not resolve your problem.
Lee makes two different types of dies for the 308. One can create a issue that is completely different from the issues of the other type of die. So when I ask you which die I need to know WHICH die you are using. If you are having a hard time chambering a resized case that came out of your chamber your process is flawed. There is a remedy but you are going to have to back up and start over. You have been spread to thin with shotgun input. My guess is that your dies are not set up correctly.

keoni008
06-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Why do your cartridges that you have loaded not fit your chamber. You must think long and hard about this or you will not resolve your problem.
Lee makes two different types of dies for the 308. One can create a issue that is completely different from the issues of the other type of die. So when I ask you which die I need to know WHICH die you are using. If you are having a hard time chambering a resized case that came out of your chamber your process is flawed. There is a remedy but you are going to have to back up and start over. You have been spread to thin with shotgun input. My guess is that your dies are not set up correctly.Well I've been reloading for a few years now and in my 10fp I had no problems at all. So I dont think my process has a flaw.

stangfish
06-14-2013, 02:59 PM
What is the case headspace on the once fired brass and what is the headspace on the resized brass? Did you ever find out what the die type was? Why do your resized cases not fit? What is that demension on your drawing that points to the shoulder? Where is all of the data that determines if the resized case will or will not fit in the chamber?