PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 BA .308

Pages : 1 2 [3]

eddiesindian
06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Im out..............

keoni008
06-14-2013, 03:23 PM
What is the case headspace on the once fired brass and what is the headspace on the resized brass? Did you ever find out what the die type was? Why do your resized cases not fit? What is that demension on your drawing that points to the shoulder? Where is all of the data that determines if the resized case will or will not fit in the chamber?Ill get the info on the die once i finish work, after i resize the case it will go in but no lock down completly. Its really hard to close the bolt down. My 10fp was alot more forgiving, from what i understand the 10BA is alot tighter with tolerances.

stangfish
06-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Are you bumping the shoulder back?

stangfish
06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I may be wrong but if savage sells a chamber to the masses that does not have the saami stamp of approval they are open to lawsuits in the event of a catistrophic failure. What exactly does it mean "you have a tight chamber". What tells you that? You may very well have a tight chamber but where's the proof? You have a bent barrel....LOL

earl39
06-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Ill get the info on the die once i finish work, after i resize the case it will go in but no lock down completly. Its really hard to close the bolt down. My 10fp was alot more forgiving, from what i understand the 10BA is alot tighter with tolerances.

I agree with stangfish. It sounds to me like you are not bumping the shoulder back enough. How did you adjust your dies in your press?
I still think your load is wrong for some reason and if your scale is correct i would look real hard at the powder. Bad lot or not what you think it is. It seems i recall a couple of years ago some of the palma shooters i shoot with saying that there was a batch of 4064 that got out that was labeled wrong. I don't recall what powder was in the cans but i do remember they said it was hotter than 4064. Seems it was a limited mistake and not a complete lot from what i remember. Try another powder or at least a different bottle.
Any decent brass will resize to be reloaded IF your dies are setup correctly. If you already have FL dies then screw them in 1/8 turn at a time till you bottom out then 1/8 more and try sizing a piece of brass at each 1/8 turn and see if you get to a point the bolt will close. When the bolt will close on the brass lock your set ring and you should be good to go.

CharlieNC
06-14-2013, 06:00 PM
You need a headspace gauge to compare rounds that chamber easily vs yours which do not; your brass can be stretching out of spec and as already mentioned the die must be setup to knock the headspace back into tolerance. Simply setting up a die according to mfg instructions does not assure this, so you need these measurements to diagnose the problem. If headspace is not involved this time, it will be eventually if you don't measure and keep it in check.

keoni008
06-17-2013, 03:57 AM
I agree with stangfish. It sounds to me like you are not bumping the shoulder back enough. How did you adjust your dies in your press?
I still think your load is wrong for some reason and if your scale is correct i would look real hard at the powder. Bad lot or not what you think it is. It seems i recall a couple of years ago some of the palma shooters i shoot with saying that there was a batch of 4064 that got out that was labeled wrong. I don't recall what powder was in the cans but i do remember they said it was hotter than 4064. Seems it was a limited mistake and not a complete lot from what i remember. Try another powder or at least a different bottle.
Any decent brass will resize to be reloaded IF your dies are setup correctly. If you already have FL dies then screw them in 1/8 turn at a time till you bottom out then 1/8 more and try sizing a piece of brass at each 1/8 turn and see if you get to a point the bolt will close. When the bolt will close on the brass lock your set ring and you should be good to go.Heres an update: I did what you said about the 1/8 turn on the die and WOW it worked like a charm, all the brass chambers now! Would this problem I had affect the primer blowing out issue, and hard to eject the shell from the chamber? Also by doing this to the brass there is a type of scratch mark on the shoulder area almost to the bottom of where it tapers, is this normal?

stangfish
06-17-2013, 10:49 AM
t is not a good practice to buy something for a fix without dimensional proof. You dont want to be throwing things at an issue. Be analytical, check demensions. There is a reason for all of the case/cartridge inspection devices out there. You need them for quality reloads. The best bang for your buck as a reloader is the LNL gauges and the LNL ogive checker with a threaded case(stoney point) as CharlieNC stated. So many new reloaders miss the part about case headspace. You really only want to move that shoulder back a few thousndths. If your chamber allows the brass to grow in diameter when you size it the case headspace can get longer making it hard to chamber unless you have it set to bump the shoulder back to the unsized length or shorter. BTW, Good job Earl!

Also by doing this to the brass there is a type of scratch mark on the shoulder area almost to the bottom of where it tapers, is this normal? You may have scratched the inside of your die. Get a flashlight and have a looksee.

earl39
06-17-2013, 09:15 PM
with the load you listed it should not cause a high pressure situation.

keoni008
06-18-2013, 03:12 AM
You guys are the BEST, after I finish working up the loads and shooting them I will give a report, Thanks again!!!!!!

earl39
06-18-2013, 06:45 PM
that's what we are here for. Hope you get a good load worked up.

keoni008
07-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know the OAL on the 110ba? I had a set at 2.75 for my last 10fp I am trying to get it close as possible to the lan without touching, I think I got it to around 2.80 and I think its ok. Just seeing what others were doing?

stangfish
07-17-2013, 11:43 AM
SMKs are good to .025-.030 off the lands. Some may put them closer but the benifits are probably minor unless the throat has been "adjusted".

Tempest
07-21-2013, 05:40 PM
I made a dummy round and cut the neck so the bullet is loose and you can check ogive by loading the dummy round, closing the bolt and measuring. On mine the COAL w/ the ogive into the lands was 2.805".

keoni008
07-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Ok so heres what I got so far:
I small based died my brass and got a load of 43 grains of IMR 4064 with an OAL at 2.802 and it fired and ejected perfectly! So I think I finally have found the recipe for my rifle, seemed like forever lol!