PDA

View Full Version : Locked up trigger?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Slapp
05-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Savage, model 10, 308 cal with McMillan stock, Accutrigger.
Ok here's the deal; when I cycle the bolt the safety automatically goes to the first stage and will not move! If I re-cycle the bolt and hold the safety in the fire position the trigger will fire on its own. Then it will lock in place so it cannot be released or pulled? If I manage to get it to cycle properly, once I pull the trigger it sounds and feels like a half fire (if that makes sense), and then locks in place?
Any help would be great. This rifle is brand new and has not had one round down the tube yet, I just picked it up last weekend.:Cry:

rjtfroggy
05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Adjust the trigger it has been covered a thousand and one times. Read your manual it is all in there.

bodywerks
05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Remove the stock and adjust the trigger pull weight spring all the way up (screw it all the way in). Remove any and all grease where the trigger engages the sear. This is the only way the accutrigger will be reliable without additional gunsmithing done to it. If you're not happy with the pull weight once you do this, replace the trigger with a quality aftermarket trigger. I recommend the sharpshooter supply comp trigger. I recommend staying away from the rifle basix sav-1. Its nothing more than an accutrigger without the safety feature of the accurelease and has a cheesy sear engagement adjustment. YMMV, but the one I bought was a joke, 50% reliable at best

bodywerks
05-15-2013, 06:31 PM
It is also possible that your trigger hinge pin is loose. What you describe sounds like something i encountered

stangfish
05-15-2013, 10:59 PM
it is possible that it is more than one thing...look at everything mentioned as well as checking for clearance in your stock.

Slapp
05-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Rjtfroggy thanks for advice, however as with any good firearm owner I read the manual from cover to cover before I even handled the firearm. As a first time owner of an Accutrigger type rifle I came here for advice not sarcasm.

Back to the problem for those willing to help. After carefully taking the stock off it looks as if the sear is to fat (thick) to fit into the sear slot. I will be calling Savage today to see what they have to say about the problem. I would post a picture of the sear and how it sits but this system won't let me put pictures up for some reason, however; if anyone is interested I can e-mail them to you.

Nandy
05-16-2013, 05:59 AM
I recommend staying away from the rifle basix sav-2. Its nothing more than an accutrigger without the safety feature of the accurelease and has a cheesy sear engagement adjustment. YMMV, but the one I bought was a joke, 50% reliable at best
I have that trigger adjusted to about 8 ounces per my trigger scale and I have no problems. I can bang the rifle and it will not missfire. I have to seriously slam the bolt close for it to slam fire to the point I think the stock trigger would slam fire as well. Very reliable trigger.

stangfish
05-16-2013, 06:38 AM
This may not be the right question but.... Is the rear pillar partialy removed from the inletting or is it whole or almost hole until behind the screw hole?

Did you try this when posting pictures? http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20418-The-ultimate-guide-to-posting-pictures-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it!

Slapp
05-16-2013, 08:22 AM
This may not be the right question but.... Is the rear pillar partialy removed from the inletting or is it whole or almost hole until behind the screw hole?

Did you try this when posting pictures? http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20418-The-ultimate-guide-to-posting-pictures-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it!

Thanks Stangfish, I am at work right now and will attempt loading pictures when I get home later.

bodywerks
05-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I didn't read any sarcasm. Did i miss something?
There is no "slot" on the trigger for the sear to "fit in". The end of the sear is razor-edged and catches the edge of the sear engagement on the trigger. Yes, there is a slot on the trigger but it is only like .018-.025 wide and not at all intended for the sear to fit in it.
Did you try removing all the grease from the sear and maxing out the trigger pull weight?
I can practically guarantee that it's not something worth sending back to savage. And if you call them that's exactly what they are going to do. Well, after probably suggesting you increase the pull weight.

Nandy
05-16-2013, 10:17 AM
I am not an owner of a rifle with an accutrigger but soon will so I have read enough about to tell you to follow the advice given here of cleaning the trigger and adjust the weight all the way up and see if it works then. When I get my new rifle that will be the first thing I will do. Good luck.

Texas Solo
05-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I have that trigger adjusted to about 8 ounces per my trigger scale and I have no problems. I can bang the rifle and it will not missfire. I have to seriously slam the bolt close for it to slam fire to the point I think the stock trigger would slam fire as well. Very reliable trigger.

Same here. My Sav2 trigger is at 13oz and has never failed me. It won't missfire and all the safeties work. I'm very happy with it.

bodywerks
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Same here. My Sav2 trigger is at 13oz and has never failed me. It won't missfire and all the safeties work. I'm very happy with it.

Oops. Meant sav-1. I'll edit the post

jpdown
05-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Slapp,

Does the Accutrigger work properly when the action is removed from the stock? If so, then check to make sure you have enough clearance just above the tip of the rear trigger guard screw.

rjtfroggy
05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
There was no sarcasm, I merely gave you the answer you were looking for and where to find the directions to do it. The tool should also be in the plastic bag the manual was in. 99.9% of the time adjusting the trigger is the fix.
I could have told you to use the search function and your answer would be there time after time the fix is almost always the adjustment.
When you get to where you want it put a small drop of nail polish on it and let it dry then it won't move until you want it to.

Slapp
05-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Savage, model 10, 308 cal with McMillan stock, Accutrigger.
Ok here's the deal; when I cycle the bolt the safety automatically goes to the first stage and will not move! If I re-cycle the bolt and hold the safety in the fire position the trigger will fire on its own. Then it will lock in place so it cannot be released or pulled? If I manage to get it to cycle properly, once I pull the trigger it sounds and feels like a half fire (if that makes sense), and then locks in place?
Any help would be great. This rifle is brand new and has not had one round down the tube yet, I just picked it up last weekend.:Cry:

ok here is a Picture, (hopr this works)
Notice how the groove is not wide enough to hold the sear? is it supposed to be like that?

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p650/Slapp1/DSCN0356_zps5be2cc44.jpg (http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/Slapp1/media/DSCN0356_zps5be2cc44.jpg.html)

bodywerks
05-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Yes, that looks completely normal. Now adjust your tiger all the way up and spray the trigger group clean with brake cleaner and use lighter fluid for lube, nothing else. Your problem should go away.
It would be worth cycling the bolt and pulling the trigger while out of the stock to see if the feeling changes from that when you put the barreled action back in the stock. This would indicate something else wrong.

bodywerks
05-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Also, i meant to ask, what do you mean by "holding the safety in the fire position"? By "safety" do you mean the actual safety button, or that silver blade on the trigger? That silver blade on the trigger is called the accurelease, and if you're touching that at all while cycling the bolt you risk sending the firing pin into lock. Don't touch that at all until you're ready to fire! The return spring for the accurelease is on the trigger itself, so pulling back on it also puts pull tension on the trigger.

bodywerks
05-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Get this figured out or what?

Slapp
05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
No still haven't got it figured out yet. I had a very bust weekend so far plan on trying what you said to in the morning. Will let you know how it works.