PDA

View Full Version : Locked up trigger?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

stangfish
05-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Is this a new rifle or did you buy it used?

Try pushing the trigger towards the muzzle (opposite the firing direction). Cycle the bolt at the same time. Now pull the trigger. Does it function normaly?

Slapp
05-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Yes new rifle. Bought it two Saturdays ago. I did notice when I took the stock off the second time their is a spot that looks like it is rubbing. I may sand that a little as a "better safe than sorry" type action.

bodywerks
05-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Cycle the bolt with the stock off as well just to make sure the stock isn't the problem.

handirifle
05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Personally, this does not sound like an adjustment issue, especially when he says that closing the bolt, causes the safety button to move off safe position.
i have a 12 that would slam fire or fire on its own, but ONLY when I manually took it off safe position. That was a simple pull weight adjustment. This I believe is something else.

To the OP, I may have missed it, but did it ever work properly, since you have owned it? I would go back and look but am answering from my phone and cannot navigate back without losing all I have typed. PITA

handirifle
05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Savage, model 10, 308 cal with McMillan stock, Accutrigger.
Ok here's the deal; when I cycle the bolt the safety automatically goes to the first stage and will not move! If I re-cycle the bolt and hold the safety in the fire position the trigger will fire on its own. Then it will lock in place so it cannot be released or pulled? If I manage to get it to cycle properly, once I pull the trigger it sounds and feels like a half fire (if that makes sense), and then locks in place?
Any help would be great. This rifle is brand new and has not had one round down the tube yet, I just picked it up last weekend.:Cry:

Ok got to a laptop and see it seems it has never worked properly for you.

I have to say I had a similar situation on one of my rifles, but it was one I had worked on. I re-assembled the bolt incorrectly, but I wish I could remember exactly why it was incorrect, but basically instead of cocking on close, it fired on close. A little bit of disassembly and reassembly cured that problem. This was not the model 12 mentioned earlier, that came that way from the factory and was corrected with the adjustment.

I assume you have never taken the bolt apart, correct?

bodywerks
05-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Personally, this does not sound like an adjustment issue, especially when he says that closing the bolt, causes the safety button to move off safe position.
i have a 12 that would slam fire or fire on its own, but ONLY when I manually took it off safe position. That was a simple pull weight adjustment. This I believe is something else.

To the OP, I may have missed it, but did it ever work properly, since you have owned it? I would go back and look but am answering from my phone and cannot navigate back without losing all I have typed. PITA

I believe what he is referring to as the safety is the trigger blade (directly referred to as the accurelease) and not the actual safety button.
It is a brand new, never disassembled rifle. I am quite certain we are dealing with an adjustment issue (extremely common with this crappy accutrigger right from the factory).

Slapp
05-19-2013, 04:39 PM
It is the safety part of the trigger, I guess the Accutrigger part (the blade located in the center of the trigger). I still have not worked on it yet. Today was super busy mom in-law broke her ankle.
Will get more info here as soon as I can.
Thanks to all for your help so far.

bodywerks
05-19-2013, 05:36 PM
It is the safety part of the trigger, I guess the Accutrigger part (the blade located in the center of the trigger). I still have not worked on it yet. Today was super busy mom in-law broke her ankle.
Will get more info here as soon as I can.
Thanks to all for your help so far.

Yea, that's called the accurelease. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are you to touch that, or any part of the trigger while cycling the bolt. It's only purpose is to catch the sear to prevent the rifle from firing in the event the rifle was dropped or in the (all to common event with the accutrigger) event the trigger doesn't reset fully and fails to engage the sear when the bolt is cycled. Your first line of safety is to not chamber a round until ready to fire with the muzzle pointed in the direction you intend to shoot. Your second line of safety is the safety button. Your last line of safety is the accurelease.

handirifle
05-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Well thats a horse of a different color. Thought he was talking about the actual safety.

Slapp
05-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Ok sorry it took so long to get back.
Completely cleaned trigger group with brake clean and then blew dried with air, lightly luricated all moving parts with hops gun oil.
Cycled bolt a few times then backed the Accutrigger adjustment all the way out and reset it to we're it was originally set (about 1 1/2 - 2 turns, clockwise). Cycled bolt and still had same problem. Tightend it another 1/2 turn and it only did it once out of about five times.
Going to go try and shoot the rifle this weekend to see how it works also going to local gun shop to see if they have a trigger gage to measure pull.
What do you all think?

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 08:00 AM
I think you went the wrong way on your adjustment. You need to turn that spring all the way IN/DOWN, not back it out. If you are looking for a light, crisp trigger tippy need to get a better trigger. Simple as that.
Get it working right at home, it's not going to fix itself at the range. TURN THE TRIGGER WEIGHT ADJUSTMENT SCREW ALL THE WAY DOWN. And if you put any of that oil where the sear and trigger come together, remove it. It's as simple as that.

Slapp
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=bodywerks;184761]I think you went the wrong way on your adjustment. You need to turn that spring all the way IN/DOWN, not back it out. If you are looking for a light, crisp trigger tippy need to get a better trigger. Simple as that.
Get it working right at home, it's not going to fix itself at the range. TURN THE TRIGGER WEIGHT ADJUSTMENT SCREW ALL THE WAY DOWN. And if you put any of that oil where the sear and trigger come together, remove it. It's as simple as that.[/QUOTe

Adjusting the triger; It states in the manual using the special spring adjustment tool turn the spring clockwise to increase trigger pull and counter-clockwise to decrees trigger pull pressure.

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Correct, but you only turned the spring in a half turn and said you still managed to get the accurelease to lock up, albeit only once. That's still one time too many. Turn the trigger pull spring in until it won't go no more(that doesn't mean fully compress it, there needs to be enough leeway to allow the trigger to break). It's the only way to ensure reliability out of that trigger.
Like i said, if you want a light crisp trigger, get a better trigger.

ww1rdb
05-22-2013, 08:12 PM
sounded a bit harsh to me also...have owned a Savage since 71, and have 4 or 5 others but never been on this site..and being new yere just signed up today I tried your search and came up with nothing..so tells me I have a lot to learn about the sight..I have questions also but almost afraid to ask now..

you know the funny thing is that those of you who have been here for a long time forget what it is like when you are new..also correct me if I am wrong but there are only so many problems and also so many answers..so if once asked and never brought it up again pretty soon the site might as well shut down..

so not trying to step on toes but I have seen this over an over again some nubie walks up at the range to discuss a problem new to him and the older guys kind of snub him and soon he leaves..same in the hunting fields..problem is in my humble opinion is we are disscuraging all the new people..now days with the polticians and the left wing wackos I think we need all the newbies we can get and hold on to..so forgive me for telling it how i see it and I am sure I will ask some things that have been covered over time..still have to try and figure out the search thing..ww1rdb

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 08:57 PM
What's frustrating here is advice is given but the OP doesn't take it. Or he is not saying he took it. If he said, i removed the grease and maxed out the trigger pull spring and x was the result we'd make progress. But it sounds like he just kinda did his own thing, it still happens on occasion, but he's gonna go shoot it anyway.
The advice had been given. If he doesn't take it we can't help.

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
As far as the suggestion to search, google is your friend...
http://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=xmmdUfy-IaetiALnv4HoDg&q=accutrigger+problems&oq=accutriggerproblems&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0i13.10365.14134.0.15982.3.2.0.1.1.0.287.46 6.0j1j1.2.0...0.0...1c..14.mobile-gws-hp.pdBRoCGmgKk

ww1rdb
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
ok sorry I ruffled feathers...like I say I am new here..I have a few questions with some of mine and one my brother just picked up..guess I will start my own and believe me I have been prowling all over the net looking...the bummer is I Had a ton of stuff saved to my computer and it crapped out on me lost it all...the one thing I can say is never had a Savage die on me..this one my brother picked up is a different horse..I brageed the 110 up for years and he ended with problems that you couldnt see till it was out of the stock..oh well..I will ask here before I start a new thread all my own

there was at one time an outfit in Florida selling parts for the old Savage rifles and it was lost in my other stuff..does anyone know if it is still around or who to go to for the best selection of parts..as for never returning and saying if I have done something or not, let me assure you I always return..I like sitting around in a "bull" session with others as one never knows what he may pick up..

so far one thing I am missing here and may cause me to get lost is and tell me if I am wrong, is there something that shows you what threads you are postig on or do you need to write them all down so you dont forget where to go look..there again thanks in advance

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Not sure about old savage parts but Jim at northland shooter supply is quite knowledgeable on savages and he may be able to help you. He had his own spring vendor thread on hear and has a phone number listed (best/only way to reach him). It might not hurt also to just go to savagearms.com and go to their store/part finder section and enter your rifle's serial number and see what pops up. Or give them a call and tell them what you're looking for.
On the "what thread am i posting in" question, it depends on what you're using to browse the forum. If you're using tapatalk on a smart phone it is not blatantly obvious what forum you are on when looking at a thread, but on a PC, if you scroll to the to if the page it's there. It'll be something like "savageshooters-forums-110 based centerfire rifles-my rifle has problems. That means the thread is in the "110 based centerfire forum under the thread "my rifle had problems.
Sorry if i seemed short earlier. Bad day at work - three broke planes and three canceled flights within three hours of each other...

ww1rdb
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
hahaha Ok Bodywerks...we all have bad days...mine are drging as I broke my foot so am not shooting or riding my Harley..hahaha.. thanks for the info will save that so I can access it again..I am using a PC with Firefox..maybe I need to try IE(yuk)...hahaha...thanks again/ww1rdb

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Stay with Firefox