View Full Version : Locked up trigger?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ww1rdb
05-22-2013, 11:55 PM
ok like it better...

Slapp
05-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Ok sorry it took so long to get back.
Completely cleaned trigger group with brake clean and then blew dried with air, lightly luricated all moving parts with hops gun oil.
Cycled bolt a few times then backed the Accutrigger adjustment all the way out and reset it to we're it was originally set (about 1 1/2 - 2 turns, clockwise). Cycled bolt and still had same problem. Tightend it another 1/2 turn and it only did it once out of about five times.
Going to go try and shoot the rifle this weekend to see how it works also going to local gun shop to see if they have a trigger gage to measure pull.
What do you all think?

Read what I wrote, last entry second page of this discussion. In other words maxed out trigger pull, cleaned, cycled and then backed out spring tension to lightest setting, then turned spring to increase pressure to factory then added another half a turn. Did exactly what was suggested.

bodywerks
05-23-2013, 09:27 AM
One person said to increase the trigger pull until you don't have the problem anymore, and i said you're going to have to max it out to make it reliable One half turn in from factory setting is not maxed out, hence the reason you're still getting the tripped sear. And did you put that oil you're talking about on the sear catch as well? If so that's another no no.

earl39
05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
you don't have to max it out in most cases butit will take a couple of adjustments as the spring wears/breaks in. As BW said no oil on the sear, that is a surefire way to get it to trip. Most triggers will work fine without going to max. Tighten half turn at a time until it passes the bump and bolt slam/slap test.

Slapp
05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
you don't have to max it out in most cases butit will take a couple of adjustments as the spring wears/breaks in. As BW said no oil on the sear, that is a surefire way to get it to trip. Most triggers will work fine without going to max. Tighten half turn at a time until it passes the bump and bolt slam/slap test.

Ok finaly made a trip to the range to break in the barrel and get the rifle sighted in. After several rounds (more like twenty) of shooting and cleaning, shooting and cleaning I settled in to adjust the the scope in at 100 yds. I had the trigger lock up twice. I removed the stock and adjusted the spring with a clockwise motion (adding pressure) a half of a turn each for a total of one full turn. After this the trigger no longer locked up. I am not sure what the trigger pull weight is at this moment, but it feels around 2-2 1/2 lbs, I'll have to check it. I manged to get the scope sighted in and was shooting 1/2 moa at 100 yards, and I am real happy with that.
However; a new problem has risen. It seem that after a couple shots when the barrel warms up it is extremly hard to pull the bolt back to eject the shell. A fresh shell will slid in with no problems but once fired it gets stuck. I mean to the point of I had the butt of the stock braced against my hip while pulling the bolt handle back with both hands just to eject the shell. Any ideas not sure if it is the ammo or the rifle. This ammo is just military surplus that fires great out of my AR-10.

earl39
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
not saying for sure but sounds like one of two things. Either a rough chamber or a lack of primary extraction.

bodywerks
05-29-2013, 12:48 PM
The only military ammo i know of that will shoot 1/2 MOA out of a savage is m118LR. It can tend to be a hot load but i never needed like, extra leverage or a mallet on the bolt handle to extract it. If you let the loaded round sit in an already hot chamber for more than a few seconds it can heat up the powder, resulting in a hotter charge/higher pressures.
Are there pressure signs on the brass and primer? That would be your first clue.
If no pressure signs but still hard to extract then the timing of your primary extraction cam is likely off. Often times there is a little play between the slots of the bolt handle (under the bolt assembly screw) and the tangs on the bolt body. And when the bolt assembly screw is tightened it advances the timing a bit, sometimes just enough that the lugs of the bolt head haven't cleared the lug abatement in the receiver when it starts trying to extract and results in what you are seeing.
The first fix i would try would be to retard the timing by putting some short of shim between the slot of the handle and the tang on the body to prevent the timing from advancing when you tighten the bolt. if it fixes the problem you can call it good enough as is, or file down/polish that ramp on the bolt handle to get it in time.

bodywerks
05-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Just reread your post and it sounds like you are able to lift the bolt just fine, just can't pull the bolt back? If so, then it's like earl said, lack of primary extraction or a hot load. Lack of extraction ifs fixable, too, but i wouldn't go there until i knew it wasn't a rough chamber/hot charge problem.
Check out this video showing what we're talking about with primary extraction and see if it's what you are experiencing. You'll notice he can lift the bolt no problem but can't extract. Shims in front of the extractor cam or advancing the timing on the bolt roil fix this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1ddHYW6wA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

earl39
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Glad your on the puter BW cause this typing on the phone is for the birds.

bodywerks
05-29-2013, 02:59 PM
I was typing from my phone and it does suck!

Slapp
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Just as an update; I contacted Savage who informed me to try "different" quality ammo. After trying some Winchester, Barnes and Hornady... all 3 stuck! Contacted Savage again and they sent me a label to send the rifle back to the factory for repair. I believe the chamber and headspace is incorrect, but, I will have to wait and see.
Will keep you posted.

bodywerks
06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Just as an update; I contacted Savage who informed me to try "different" quality ammo. After trying some Winchester, Barnes and Hornady... all 3 stuck! Contacted Savage again and they sent me a label to send the rifle back to the factory for repair. I believe the chamber and headspace is incorrect, but, I will have to wait and see.
Will keep you posted.

I guess if you wanna deal with not having your rifle for a month then send it in, but i bet its something simple.
Headspace had nothing to do with primary extraction. If you can lift the bolt all the way but just can't pull back its a basic primary extraction issue, and fixable at home.
Did you try the factory bolt handle as recommended?
Did you watch the video i posted?
Are you listening to any of our recommendations?
If your not interested in learning what makes a savage work then just send it in i guess.

Slapp
06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Bodywerks, tried everything that was suggested here and elsewhere nothing seemed to work. Even went as far as taking it back to the gun shop where I had purchashed it from. They had it for 2 days, called me and said it needs to go back to the factory, but would not give me a real reason as to why? When I picked it up the counter guy said "the gunsmith said that it seemed like it was not chambering correctly and since still under warrenty it needs to go back since they are not a factory warrenty repair facility."
One thing though that I noticed, when I tried the different ammo it seemed like the neck of the rounds became more conical (straighter) than the nice roundish curves they would normally have.
As far as missing my rifle for a month or so I guess will be better than to have a rifle that will not work correctly.
I plan on heading out this weekend to look at other rifles as an option for a back up bolt action.
At this point it is now just a wait game, but, I would just like to say thanks for eveyones help and suggestions. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

bodywerks
06-27-2013, 02:14 PM
K sorry i sounded so negative. Hadn't had my coffee yet

Slapp
07-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Received my rifle back from Savage Arms repair division and to be honest I am somewhat disappointed for a few of reasons.

First; I would think that when a company plans to send a rifle back to its owner you would think they would call, E-mail, text or something to let you know to expect the delivery. Instead I came home from work and found it sitting at my front door for all to see.

Two; Right off the bat I noticed there is a 2 inch scratch on the barrel that was not their when I sent it to Savage Arms.

Three; The invoice I received for the work performed is very vague and really doesn't tell what parts where replaced or work completed. The invoice states "1) Various small parts replaced, 2) Head space looked at, 3) Test fired operates fine. 4) Ship back to owner with case”.

Four; The case I sent with the rifle had custom cut foam with spots for the rifle, the bolt, and magazine, what did they do but just throw the bolt and magazine into the case without putting the parts into the proper spots.
Ok enough complaining, I will hopefully be heading to the 400 yard range to test fire this weekend. I will let you know how that goes along with results.

Nandy
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
I would find it a bit troublesome too that no one give you a warning about your gun being delivered... I get mail "lost" all the time, it is a frikking firearm!!!!
Go shoot it and let us know the results, hopefully it is all good now and you get to enjoy the rifle.

Slapp
07-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Hit the range today and had to re-sight the rifle in. Once I got it sighted in at 50 yards (quick site in) I moved it out to 100 yards. A couple tweaks and I was dead on. After setting up a new target I set in to do some real shooting. Three rounds down range and I was shooting 3/4 less than MOA (1/4 inch groups). Moved the target out as far as the range would allow due to mass quantity amounts of rain, 175 yards. Shot two groups of five rounds each, I am so pleased with the results! These groups where so close together they looked liked only two rounds were shot. In case you are wondering what type ammo I was using, it was Hornaday 168 grain match grade.
It sucked that I had to go through all the crap just to get it to shoot right, but at this point I am really happy with the way it shoots. Still have to tweak the trigger pull a little but may just keep it as is.

Nandy
07-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Well, there is some light at the end of the tunnel... Yes, I agree it sucks you had to go thru all but not all rifles are going to leave shop in perfect condition. I suspect you know that but it does suck to be the person getting the "defective" unit. Hopefully it will provide years of enjoyment and the experience wont shy you down from a second savage or more.

Dennis
07-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I am very curious as to what the "problem" was to begin with. I agree with several, it should have been something simple. This one didn't make any since. I know I had one, similar problem, and the sear was the problem, put a new one on, adjusted the trigger (2 years ago) and I still happy with the gun. I wish there was someway to get the answers out of Savage. JMO, Dennis PS: glad everything is ok now.