PDA

View Full Version : First build and a little unsure!

Pages : [1] 2 3

GaryB
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I would like to do my first Savage build, but have some questions.

The rifle I have now is an M11GL in 243 Win. with sporter contour barrel and blind mag with a 4.275" screw spacing and stagger feed.

The rifle will be used primarily for bench work and hopefully an occasional trip out west for prairie dogs.

I'm pretty sure I want to go with the 223, but can't decide if the 223AI would be better or not. Any opinions on cartridge choice would be greatly appreciated. Is the 223AI any less accurate than the standard 223?

For the barrel I have decided to go with a Shilen in a 24" CM Varmint contour. If anyone has any other suggestions for something better/cheaper I'm always open.

I have looked at several stocks, but being a left handed rifle I'm somewhat limited in my choices. The one I'm leaning toward is the Choate Ultimate Sniper.

One last question I have is, will replacing the recoil lug with a match lug gain any noticeable accuracy or is that unnecessary?

Thanks for the help in advance and you have a great site here!
Gary

acemisser
02-09-2013, 10:58 PM
First thing you need to think about is you will HAVE to change the bolt face if your going 223 And if I were to do this,I would make it a single shot...Cause your mag. isn't gonna work..As far as the recoil lug goes,you will get a ton of different answers about that..I have not noticed any difference in the builds I have done over the years...And as far as the Ackley Improved,my OWN opinion is it is a waste of money..All you gain is maybe 250 fps faster..You will need the dies for it..Like I said only my opinion...Some say it is a world of good and I know other who wish they had left it alone...If you want to go that route why not use what you have and make it a 243 AI then you can use your mag with it and not change the bolt any....Good luck with what ever you do...John

redman
02-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Some people think it is a pain to form ai cases but I believe it is time well spent as there will be less case trimming and full length sizing in an ai case. It took me about 3 hrs total from loading the cases (cream of wheat method) to shooting them. 100 cases will last a long time. Do 200 and you may have enough cases to reload for a couple of years. You could easily do 200 in 4-5 hours or less.

Having these stable cases may be enough alone to go ai but most people do it for better fps. Depending on the bullet you shoot I would say 100-150 fps faster in the ai version. Pretty much you'd be looking at a load that you would be seeing the regular 223 showing pressure signs shot with ease from the ai version.

Let's say you go ai, lengthen the throat (more case capacity), shoot coated bullets, use the best velocity powder for the cartridge, get a little longer barrel. Maybe you could in the end squeeze out 300-400 fps faster. My point is many little advantages can add up to a lot!

With that said. Seens how you are leaning towards a 22 caliber (223, 224) have you thought about a 22-250? It uses the same bolt face as the 243 and I am not sure but I think you could use the same magazine. It is the quintessential varmint cartridge. It easily beats the 223ai in fps and the 22-250ai is of course even faster.

GaCop
02-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I built a 223AI and really like it. Fire forming brass is no hassle, just chamber a 223 Rem and fire. I never have to trim brass with the AI. The big hassle is changing out the bolt head if the doner rifle is not already 223 Rem. Going single shot (for bench work) allows any action to be used.

Tom

GaryB
02-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Thank you all for the info. I guess I was leaning towards the AI version of the 223 more for case life than added velocity. The Shilen barrel I was looking at in 223AI has a neck diameter of only .252 and I was concerned that the cases would have to be neck turned, just more equipment to buy. Yea, I'm cheap!
Being a single shot would be fine, that's the way most of my rifles are loaded on the bench anyway. And I have a 22-250 in a Savage M12.(bolts on the wrong side)

Well I guess when the assault weapons ban DOES NOT pass 223 brass will be in abundance again so I think I'll just go with the standard 223.
Now to start ordering parts and wait the long wait!
Again, thanks for the help.

handirifle
02-11-2013, 02:00 AM
The magazine for the 223, left as is, won't work, but you can swap the magazine and follower for a 223 one, with no problems. Just so ya know the option is out there.

kslefty
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who fire-form AI cartridges. This is best done by firing a regular load in the chamber, after all this was the whole idea of the improved case. Accuracy will be fine and velocity will be down only slightly, I have three of them and would never take the time to load blanks.

GaryB
02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
The magazine for the 223, left as is, won't work, but you can swap the magazine and follower for a 223 one, with no problems. Just so ya know the option is out there.

Yea, I had thought that something like this would work...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325484/score-high-bench-rest-single-shot-follower-savage-short-action-223-remington-aluminum

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who fire-form AI cartridges. This is best done by firing a regular load in the chamber, after all this was the whole idea of the improved case. Accuracy will be fine and velocity will be down only slightly, I have three of them and would never take the time to load blanks.

I had hoped to be able to fire factory ammo from the AI chamber, but the Shilen barrel has a tight neck and I am not sure this will work. I'm just not sure. :confused:

I can't find a left hand SA 223 bolt head anyway, so this may be on hold for a while. :(

redman
02-13-2013, 06:32 PM

So the whole idea of the improved case is fireforming using bullets? I thought it was actually having an improved case?

It's ok if you want to spend more money fireforming brass but don't think just because you can fireform using bullets and I chose to do the majority of mine without bullets that somehow us none bullet fireformers are ill informed. I am well aware that you can use bullets as I have done fireforming both ways.

$0.42 a load is how much it would cost me to do fireforming with bullets. I can do fireforming using the cream of wheat method for about $0.05 per case. My brother gave me some shotgun powder that will probably last til the cows come home. So figure primers and a box of walmart brand cream of wheat is my total cost.

If you want to go shoot those fireforming loads with bullets that's fine. I'd rather just get it over with and start shooting the ackley loads asap.

Now that you know why some people choose a method other than what you use you can cease to be amazed.

redman
02-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Yea, I had thought that something like this would work...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325484/score-high-bench-rest-single-shot-follower-savage-short-action-223-remington-aluminum

I had hoped to be able to fire factory ammo from the AI chamber, but the Shilen barrel has a tight neck and I am not sure this will work. I'm just not sure. :confused:

I can't find a left hand SA 223 bolt head anyway, so this may be on hold for a while. :(

Not sure I know what you mean by "Shilen barrel has a tight neck and I am not sure this will work".

scope eye
02-13-2013, 06:43 PM
The thing about fire forming with blanks, is that it still erodes the throat of your barrel just as if you fired off a round, so if you are going to wear out the barrel you might as well get use out of it, you lose approx 10% FPS velocity when fire forming with a live round, but have yet to see any accuracy loss when doing so.

Tanks Dean

GaryB
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Not sure I know what you mean by "Shilen barrel has a tight neck and I am not sure this will work".

From Shilen
Products::Rifle Barrels::Chambers

Drawing upon 35 years of close involvement in the demanding sport of bench rest competition, we possess a unique understanding of the importance of a carefully aligned, precise chamber. Our chambers are painstakingly cut to a singular standard of machining excellence, because without an absolutely true chamber, no rifle will shoot to its full potential. Dimensional accuracy is also critical in every other step in the barrel-fitting process. Everything must be just right.
We are chambering and fitting Shilen barrels for the following cartridges. Please note that the dimensions in parentheses indicate special neck diameters. These are either "tight necks", which require turning case necks, or "minimum necks", which may or may not require neck-turning. If you have questions, please contact us for recommendations.

The neck on the Shilen barrel(223AI) is .252 and my Speer reloading manual shows the standard 223 brass is .253 when loaded. Maybe I'm making to much of this, but that says to me that it won't work. Case necks need to be turned.

The thing about fire forming with blanks, is that it still erodes the throat of your barrel just as if you fired off a round, so if you are going to wear out the barrel you might as well get use out of it, you lose approx 10% FPS velocity when fire forming with a live round, but have yet to see any accuracy loss when doing so.

Tanks Dean

I had fully intended to fire form brass by just firing factory loaded cartridges in the AI chamber. Is that wrong?

scope eye
02-13-2013, 07:21 PM
"I had fully intended to fire form brass by just firing factory loaded cartridges in the AI chamber. Is that wrong?"
Not wrong at all Gary, that's exactly what I do, lets say you want 100 prepped cases, why wouldn't you use those 100 shots to better yourself, try stuff and really get to know the dynamics of your rig, let alone they enjoyment and getting that much better a shooter, prepping brass any other way is a chore. you can never have to much trigger time, no exceptions.

Tanks Dean

GaryB
02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Scope Eye,

Thanks!

I ordered a stock, this one...
http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-SA-Stagger-Feed-Left-Hand-Tactical-Stock-by-Choate.html

and I think I will contact Northland Shooters Supply in the next couple of days and see if they can get me a Criterion barrel in 223AI. Hopefully they will have, or can get, the bolt head I need also.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

redman
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Tanks Dean

Yes I know and understand this. It's still cheaper to buy a new barrel than shoot ammo up. Like I said before I would rather just get it over with. I would rather save the bullets for the ai loads.

barrel - .20 a round (approximately)
ammo - .42 a round (sierra mk 4831sc)

This does not mean that I won't use bullets or that I am against using bullets to fireform! I am simply stating that for getting many pieces fireformed quickly and cheaply the cream of wheat method works for me! It should not be a shock to anyone because it is a widely used method.:boom:

redman
02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
"I had fully intended to fire form brass by just firing factory loaded cartridges in the AI chamber. Is that wrong?"
Not wrong at all Gary, that's exactly what I do, lets say you want 100 prepped cases, why wouldn't you use those 100 shots to better yourself, try stuff and really get to know the dynamics of your rig, let alone they enjoyment and getting that much better a shooter, prepping brass any other way is a chore. you can never have to much trigger time, no exceptions.

Tanks Dean

You still pull the trigger with the cow method! :yield:

redman
02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
From Shilen
Products::Rifle Barrels::Chambers

Drawing upon 35 years of close involvement in the demanding sport of bench rest competition, we possess a unique understanding of the importance of a carefully aligned, precise chamber. Our chambers are painstakingly cut to a singular standard of machining excellence, because without an absolutely true chamber, no rifle will shoot to its full potential. Dimensional accuracy is also critical in every other step in the barrel-fitting process. Everything must be just right.
We are chambering and fitting Shilen barrels for the following cartridges. Please note that the dimensions in parentheses indicate special neck diameters. These are either "tight necks", which require turning case necks, or "minimum necks", which may or may not require neck-turning. If you have questions, please contact us for recommendations.

The neck on the Shilen barrel(223AI) is .252 and my Speer reloading manual shows the standard 223 brass is .253 when loaded. Maybe I'm making to much of this, but that says to me that it won't work. Case necks need to be turned.

I had fully intended to fire form brass by just firing factory loaded cartridges in the AI chamber. Is that wrong?

Yeah. I didn't intend for your thread to turn into a debate on fireforming. Using factory ammo would be the prefered method if you have the bucks. You can start shooting right away. Any way you do it - it's not a big deal to fireform brass.

I doubt you would have to turn the necks with a shilen barrel or criterion. You might ask Jim if he knows for sure or contact the barrel makers directly.

scope eye
02-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Sorry redman I did not want to come across like that, The keyboard will never replace an actual conversation, OK everyone back in the sandbox.LOL

Tanks Dean

redman
02-13-2013, 11:10 PM
No worries Dean. I've read some of your insights on other posts and you are always right on in your arguments.

It's all relative I guess.

GaryB
02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey, I don't mind a little debate as long as everyone walks away with a smile on their face.

I have a bunch of cheap factory ammo(Wolf I believe) that has been setting around a long time and needs a new cause. I thought if I could just shoot that to fire form cases I could sort by weight what I needed to reload. And, having a 22-250 I already have lots of bullets and powder. Lots of small rifle primers too.

Gary