PDA

View Full Version : First build and a little unsure!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Savage22-250
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I left the ejector out on my 17 fireball build. The case just hangs on the extractor when I open the bolt.

tammons
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
It's a contagion I tell you !!!

Well the stock is mended and the bolt head came in and is installed. Like he says on "Duck Dynasty"; I am Happy, Happy, Happy.

I have one question about the ejector. Can I just leave it out? Tried to turn it around but it protruded above the bolt face and left the cartridge sitting crooked.

Its pretty typical to remove the ejector in target guns.

Typical Spring Ejector ?? Not following the part about turning it around.

There is a very thin dowel/pin pin that hold the ejector in the bolt. What I do is pull the bolt, put an empty cartridge
in the end of the bolt and Compress the ejector and drive the pin out with a small punch and dont let anything fly.

GaryB
02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Its pretty typical to remove the ejector in target guns.

1)Typical Spring Ejector ?? Not following the part about turning it around.

2)There is a very thin dowel/pin pin that hold the ejector in the bolt. What I do is pull the bolt, put an empty cartridge
in the end of the bolt and Compress the ejector and drive the pin out with a small punch and dont let anything fly.

1) I read somewhere that someone(pretty informed ain't I) turned the ejector around just to fill the hole, but it didn't fit flush.

2) I did exactly that. Used a spent cartridge to hold the ejector down and drove out the pin. It's out right now and I guess I'll leave it out.

Thanks
Gary

Savage22-250
02-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Maybe they just left the spring behind the ejector out.

tammons
02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
1) I read somewhere that someone(pretty informed ain't I) turned the ejector around just to fill the hole, but it didn't fit flush.

2) I did exactly that. Used a spent cartridge to hold the ejector down and drove out the pin. It's out right now and I guess I'll leave it out.

Thanks
Gary

Okay, got it.

I never tried that, but someone here suggested that I just fill it with JB Weld.
I tried it and it broke out, but I dont think the hole was super clean and I dont think I got it all the way to the bottom.

I ended up just leaving it out.

The right way to fill the hole would be to drive a few thou oversized pin in the hole and mill off the end, but its probably not worth the effort.

If the hole is still there you can still read brass flow.

GaryB
02-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Savage 22-250:
Maybe they just left the spring behind the ejector out.

Or clipped off some of the coils. I could file off the ejector and put it back in, but that seems like a lot of work.

It's all back together now so I think I'll leave it that way and see how it goes. I should be able to tell right away if pressures are to high.

tammons
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Well you could get another ejector and mill off the top so its even with the top of the bolt face, but probably not worth the effort.

When I was shooting 6BR and 6.5 x47 lapua I just ran them with no ejector.

Setting up a 260AI and will probably do the same.