PDA

View Full Version : Stevens model 200 .223 SA Center Feed - Budget mods

Pages : [1] 2 3

rdamours
01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Lots of great info from mild to wild build up's on the forum. Couple of quick and dirty questions.

Some don't like the accutriggers but I don't mind them as they as factory stable and I'm used to them. Can I add one to my Stevens easily (drop in) or should I go aftermarket like Timney, etc. I'm on the prowl for an accutrigger if it will drop in.

I'm either going to go with a Choate stock or a boyds thumbhole 4.40 SA CF stock keeping the factory barrel. The Choate is heavy but tank like just wondering from others how stable the Boyds is.

I saw this as one of the best bang for the buck base rifles to have some fun with. I have a 10FP in .308 which is heavy but solid and wouldn't mind making some mods in the Stevens to be more like my other rifle.

Bounce some ideas around as I'm open to options but leaning this way. The rifle will be used with handloads to see how good it is out of the box and to see if I can tighten my groups up to sub moa consistently for the odd range day or picking off the odd coyote/gopher. I'm not looking to shoot in matches but would like to get somewhat close performance if possible.

I might have the Savage bug already but stumbled across this 200 and was surprised on the great reviews so this confirms it.

I'm still reading posts to see some range reports on what this likes to eat out of the box. I'm looking at whatever grain Hornady Amax this thing likes along with recipes you have for powder, etc. Odds are someone has stumbled across some sick groupings and I'll piggy back on your combo.

Mach2
02-01-2013, 12:20 AM
How old is your Stevens? I have a Stevens 200 in 223 with a RB trigger that can hit a quarter at 200 yds. I bought it new in 2006 for $249. It has a blued sporter barrel. Today the same gun comes in matte. The old Stevens 200s were the best buy on the market.

rdamours
02-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Real new...like 5 days old. It has the round top receiver like my 10FP so it makes me wonder about the accutrigger drop in without pulling both rifles apart as someone may have tried already.

I might do a rifle basix sav1 trigger to keep it simple as so far I haven't seen a accutrigger conversion yet. Might be by design on a value rifle as I don't think they'd want to make it too easy or too many people might lean towards the cheaper rifle.

rdamours
02-01-2013, 01:06 AM
D'oh. I'm trigger happy. Just ordered the sav1 trigger from rifle basix. Looked too much like a no go on the accutrigger so I got twitchy.

Is the Boyds thumbhole stable enough. Just looking for something with no flex if I shoot off a bipod and stable enough to hold zero. I'm sure this stock will do just fine for the most part but the fore end seems a bit flimsy and looks a tad cheap.

ellobo
02-02-2013, 02:08 AM
For the money you can't go wrong with the Boyds. Laminates are inherently stable, no problem there. Just make sure your barrel is freefloated. Adding pillars to your Boyds and maybe bedding the action may add to accuracy. Good choice on going for that trigger. Makes a world of difference even though the old three screw trigger can be adjused to a good pull wgt. You are doing the two best things you could do cheap for that rifle. If you like a checkered stock, for an additional $50 Boyds will checker it with one of two designs, both very nice.

El Lobo

rdamours
02-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Cool. Looks like I'm on the right track. I'm also taking a look at a Hogue stock that has built in pillars for just over a hundred but not sure I can get one shipped to canada. Just picked up a utg picatinnay bipod adaptor that mount on the sling swivel on the fore end so I can mount a bipod. I'll keep looking but it may end up being the Boyds.

broken6r
02-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Here's my build thread if you'd like some ideas. I went a little beyond the budget route for the full kit, but the rifles themselves weren't too bad price wise. You'll also like that Sav-1 that you ordered.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?19729-Operation-quot-Make-A-Sniper-Cry-quot-Stevens-200-Build-Up-x-2

rdamours
02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Slick build up you've got going. Yours was one of the last posts I read before posting. I may eventually end up there over time as well. The trigger is always a great start as I've had several rifles with bull barrels that did not perform as well as expected until I did the trigger...at least a 0.5-1 moa difference. Swapped the trigger and started to make cloverleafs :)

I'll be following your buildup and will post pics when as I get the parts in.

broken6r
02-03-2013, 09:06 PM
That's the beautiful thing of these rifles. You can make it completely your own.

rdamours
02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Has anyone tried a Hogue stock on one of these. I'd like to confirm it's model number 11104 of the Hogue overmoulded stocks that would fit.

This rifle is going to be used the most of the toys so I though I'd take a look at one of these.

I also see others have converted theirs to a detachable mag 9 round from Sharp Shooter Supply OE detachable magazine hardware.

So many options...

mattm0812
02-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I would stay away from the overmoulded.

The factory stock can be reinforced and the barrel channel opened up a bit and shoot great.

If you want a nice stock, it's gonna cost at least 250.

ellobo
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
The Boyds laminate are under $100 and excellent stocks. The only poblem is they arn't made for a detachable magazine or floor plate but can be converted.

El Lobo

mattm0812
02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
The Boyds laminate are under $100 and excellent stocks. The only poblem is they arn't made for a detachable magazine or floor plate but can be converted.

El Lobo

Woops, meant to say it's hard to find a nice fiberglass stock for cheap.

jonbearman
02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Why not the bobby hart stock?Go to stockys .com

Hosted
02-08-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm doing the same thing you are. I got a choate varmint for $100 so I'm going to work with it for now. I was going to get a trigger, but couldn't help myself for wanting to play with the factory trigger. I replaced the spring and smoothed some parts up. It's still has a little creep, but I'm going to the range Sunday to see how I like it. It is sure is fun being able to work on them yourself.

rdamours
02-10-2013, 04:44 AM
I think I'll order the Boyds stock later today as the trigger should be in any day. I'd love to do the 9 shot mag mod but I doubt that one will get across the border. I'll look around online so my guess it's the boyds thumbhole and some decent steel warne rings and a base till I can get a deal on a decent scope.

rdamours
02-15-2013, 02:21 AM
It's a sickness I know...

Do I get a Boyds stock and stop there or do I get a detachable mag version and drop in some cdi bottom metal to get rid of the plastic trigger housing and add a 10 round mag.

It would not be a budget mod anymore but would have the cool factor going.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/savage-model-10-center-feed--4.400-.html

goinssr
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I am in the process right now of building this same gun for my wife. Stevens SA CF in .223. I'm going to get a Boyd's Classic style stock and have it bedded first and play with the trigger a bit. I'm going to shoot the factory barrel and see what it is capable of before I change it out. She will not be shooting real long ranges but I would like for it to be a very accurate rifle. Once I get it to where I want it to be I'll have it Duracoated.

rdamours
02-16-2013, 05:21 PM
That's where I might stop as well. I'll take some pics of my trigger installation as the sav1 just came in as well as a UTG swivel stud adapter kit that mounts on the front sling stud to give me a picatinny rail mount for my bipid.

I am in the process right now of building this same gun for my wife. Stevens SA CF in .223. I'm going to get a Boyd's Classic style stock and have it bedded first and play with the trigger a bit. I'm going to shoot the factory barrel and see what it is capable of before I change it out. She will not be shooting real long ranges but I would like for it to be a very accurate rifle. Once I get it to where I want it to be I'll have it Duracoated.

rdamours
03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Just found a deal on a bull barrel from a Savage 10fp. I think I'll bolt this one on as I plan on doing a bunch of bench shooting and heat may be an issue on the factory barrel.

That's where I might stop as well. I'll take some pics of my trigger installation as the sav1 just came in as well as a UTG swivel stud adapter kit that mounts on the front sling stud to give me a picatinny rail mount for my bipid.