PDA

View Full Version : Stevens model 200 .223 SA Center Feed - Budget mods

Pages : 1 [2] 3

palerider338
03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Forgot to mention in my last PM.....if you like the Choate stocks check out the stuff Jerry has at Mystic Precision out in B.C.

Bill

rdamours
04-09-2013, 11:55 PM
My .223 bull barrel that is threaded for a flash suppressor is in. It had about 40 rounds through it so I'll give this a whirl. The forest camo boyds laminate thumbhole target stock is on it's way as well. Just need to order the metal trigger guard and get a set of screws for it and I'll be shooting in no time.

I'll post pics once I've got it together with the Sav1 trigger in it and will give a range report on how it shoots using some factory ammo to get it on paper.

I've picked up two pounds of H4895 and CCI benchrest 2000 CCI benchrest primers (large and small) for both this rifle and my 10FP in .308 Now to dig up some recipes for this twist rate in both barrels. I've got about half a box of 168 gr AMAX for the .308 and about half a box of 75 gr AMAX and 75 gr Berger vld that I was given with the barrel. Doing to do some googling to find what these barrels like to eat with oal, etc to get what the best groupings that most have found from experience.

rdamours
04-21-2013, 04:36 PM
The forest camo Boyds thumbhole stock is in. Just popped the blind mag out of the old Stevens stock by prying in the front slot in the front of the mag and she slowly popped out. The old barrel comes off and the heavy barrel on Thursday. Seeing if I can pickup a metal trigger guard and some longer action screws by Thursday and will post some pics of the completed setup.

In the process of swapping to the SAV1 trigger as we speak...

rdamours
04-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Minor issues but not insurmountable. Looks like the plastic trigger guard will not fit as it is probably different dimensions than the metal one so I'm not touching it until I can get a metal one in. Does anyone know the part number on the metal trigger guard as I'm trying to avoid the trial and error thing.

Also the blind mag looks like it might sit a tad high as the bolt grabs on the way past the start of the mag box. Just wondering if it is a common occurrence as it almost looks like the back lip of the mag needs to be ground down.

jbjh
04-25-2013, 12:21 AM
I have a plastic trigger guard that came with a Boyd's I sold off. It's been modified (shortened) to work with the factory screws. PM me and I'll ship it to you and you can see if it works.

rdamours
04-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Awesome forum where everyone is willing to help man. It's so cool for the offer man but I just ordered the trigger guard from Brownells along with the screws so thanks again.

Here's what I found with the Savage part number 105417. I'll confirm when I get mine in but here's a review on the part off of Brownells.

Comments about SAVAGE 105417 TRIGGER GUARD, METAL, MATTE:
I ordered a Boyd's stock for my Stevens 200 .223. After some dremel work the plastic stock trigger guard just wasn't cooperating. After trying to modify the stock trigger guard I got fed up and started searching for a replacement. This trigger guard fit the Boyd's stock perfectly no modifications necessary it litereally lined up and bolted in perfectly. I highly recommend this guard.

rdamours
04-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Here's some pics of the rifle in progress. Savage 10 barrel swapped into place, SAV1 trigger, Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock in forest camo, Millett Picatinny rail matte PC00002. Metal trigger guard and screws on route. I don't mind the cheap bull barrel as I was after a threaded barrel and a deal popped up as I'm trying to keep it budget minded.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/1977%20Starcraft%20Holiday%2018%20redo/DSCN2246Medium.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/1977%20Starcraft%20Holiday%2018%20redo/DSCN2241Medium.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/1977%20Starcraft%20Holiday%2018%20redo/DSCN2242Medium.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/1977%20Starcraft%20Holiday%2018%20redo/DSCN2243Medium.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/1977%20Starcraft%20Holiday%2018%20redo/DSCN2245Medium.jpg

jbjh
05-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Nothing wrong with being on a budget. John Woo did his best work on a shoe-string budget.

rdamours
05-08-2013, 09:47 PM
He sure did. For me it means waiting as that trigger guard is still not shipped yet from Brownell's as its on backorder. :)

Took my 10Fp in 308 out last weekend and shot about a 1 inch group in high winds with some crappy ammo. I'll mess with the trigger a bit to lighten the pull and pick a calm day with match ammo and see how it does but so far so good.

I've got a feeling that this thing with the sav1 trigger is going to shoot really well. I'll start out with match ammo to see what it's capable of before reloading.

jbjh
05-09-2013, 04:13 PM
If you don't want to wait on the big B, Gunshack looks to have them

rdamours
06-14-2013, 05:36 PM
The metal trigger guard came in from Brownell's. It was backordered but made it here. Cheap USPS shipping and quick delivery time with no additional customs charges so overall Brownell's was good for the over the border types. They also had no issues shipping to Canada so I'll be using them in the future as well. The SAVAGE 105417 TRIGGER GUARD, METAL, MATTE: was the exact match that dropped right in so no trimming of the stock required. Much better than that cheap plastic guard and for $20 it's not a bank breaker.

Here she is back together. The mag wanted to move around a bit so I shimmed it at the front of the mag with a folded piece of a business card and it's not moving at all. Right now I've got a Leapers/UTG mil dot 3-12x40 scp-U312AORGW scope on it. It came with some rings that are too high and it will eventually get moved to my .22 but will have to do for now. The rifle was built for hopefully accuracy but I will need to throw some better glass on it with 1/8 mil adjustments or I just wasted my time. Hopefully I'll get out on Sunday and will have time to load up a box of the 75 gr amax. I'll need to pick up the latest Hornady reloading edition but so far this is what I'm looking to load up. Hornady 75 gr A-Max in 223 with 23.3 grain of H4895 powder, OAL 2.390 Need to confirm pressure and velocity so I don't blow myself up.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/DSCN2252Medium.jpg?t=1371246249

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/DSCN2256Medium.jpg?t=1371246252

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/DSCN2250Medium.jpg?t=1371246239

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/sprintst_photos/DSCN2251Medium.jpg?t=1371246245

Might take a shot at picking off some coyotes and wolves around here. There is a picture in the paper of a wolf chasing a motorcyclist down the highway. Don't start nothng won't be nothing I say :)

jbjh
06-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Can't wait to hear what it'll do

taroman
06-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Looking great, but you might want to think about shifting the scope so as to get that front ring away from the loading port.

stangfish
06-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Nice stock!

Looking great, but you might want to think about shifting the scope so as to get that front ring away from the loading port.

Form follows function. In the end everthing will be moved forward is my bet.

rdamours
06-15-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm digging the stock as well. :) The rings were a quick setup job for the pic. Later tonight they will get moved so I can pop off some rounds tomorrow...if it doesn't rain again.

If I was in the US I'd bolt on the oil can suppressor...can't get one over here :) Might have to make due with a muzzle brake .

Nice stock!

Form follows function. In the end everthing will be moved forward is my bet.

Maztech89
06-17-2013, 08:56 AM
I may have missed it but what twist barrel is it? Probably need a 9" for those 75 A-Max as I watched my buddy's 10 twist shoot 1 stretched hole groups with 68gr HPBT but miss the back stop every round loaded with the 75's. no matter how fast he pushed them they just wouldn't stabilize.

rdamours
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Yup. Looked into it and it's a 1 in 9 twist. Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking into what this thing likes to eat and I got back some great reports on the 75's for the load I mentioned. I'll post pics at varying distances to show how she does. I've got a 10fp in 308 that will only shoot heavier than 150 or it looks like I was throwing the rounds at the target. The 10fp will only get fed 168 gr hornady amax or 168 gr hpbt.

I may have missed it but what twist barrel is it? Probably need a 9" for those 75 A-Max as I watched my buddy's 10 twist shoot 1 stretched hole groups with 68gr HPBT but miss the back stop every round loaded with the 75's. no matter how fast he pushed them they just wouldn't stabilize.

rdamours
06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
I've reloaded a small batch (20) of Berger 75 gr VLD rounds. Looks like the bullets tips deform without a special vld seating plug. Apparently the seating plus contacts the tips so they are not flawless. I'll use these 20 for sighting in to get them on paper and see how it goes.

FW Conch
06-25-2013, 02:51 PM
"rdamours", I don't know exactly what kind of damage your getting on your 'tips", but I have had some seating plugs that were very "rough" on the inside & scratched up the bullet tips pretty bad. The solution was to roll up some emery cloth into a "cone" and smooth off the inside. Hope this helps :) ..... Jim

rdamours
06-25-2013, 07:55 PM
In this case it's the very tip of these super pointy narrow bullets that I think push up further into the plug than any normal bullet would.

I sent in a question to RCBS last night and they are already are sending me out a polished plug for free. If that doesn't work then I will send them 3 sample bullets and they will send me a custom plug for 24.95. Exceptional customer service at RCBS for sure. In the meantime I drilled my plug out to make it slightly deeper and will tell you the results in about an hour when I start another batch :)

"rdamours", I don't know exactly what kind of damage your getting on your 'tips", but I have had some seating plugs that were very "rough" on the inside & scratched up the bullet tips pretty bad. The solution was to roll up some emery cloth into a "cone" and smooth off the inside. Hope this helps :) ..... Jim