PDA

View Full Version : Paint question...

Pages : [1] 2 3

fgw_in_fla
09-13-2012, 02:14 PM
What's a good durable, hi heat, scratch resistant, easy to bond, matte black paint to use on a stainless steel barrel?

I have a reasonably new, very clean 7 rem mag barrel in SS and all my actions / rifles are matte black or blued. I'm just breaking into the wonderful world of the 7mm round by loading for & shooting a 7mm-08. When I get bored or tired or both from that one, I'll probably swap it for the rem mag but, not while it has a ss finish.

ANyone got any suggestions? I'd like to use a paint that'll bond well & not scratch or chip if I look at it the wrong way.

Talk to me.....

Frank in Fla

helotaxi
09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
The good ones are all bake-on finishes. If you want it to last, you're really better served by sending it out to get coated.

devildogandboy
09-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Frank, another idea! don't look at it!!! LOL

fgw_in_fla
09-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I had a feeling someone would say that.......

Couldn't you lie to me?..... Maybe make up some story about it being easy? Just run down to Ace Hardware & pick up a can of Ace's Best flat black & jump into it......

Maybe someone could tell me what is Cerocoat? (Ceracote?... Cerakote?....???)

Frank in Fla

nsaqam
09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Cerakote is the best there is.

You can get it in both air dry and oven cure with the oven cure considerably more durable.

Brownells carries both kinds in owner sized kits.

Duracoat is also decent but not nearly as strong or durable as Cerakote.

M.O.A.
09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
i painted my 223 with high temp matte black dont remimber what brand but its lasted for a year or hard use coyote hunting last winter and groundhog hunting this spring.

you just have to prep really well.

fgw_in_fla
09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
From past experiences and from being in the contracting / remodel business, I know the key to any good paint job is in the preparation. The second half of that in using a quality product developed for the application.

So, with that in mind, I think I'll get a can of indoor latex satin finish & paint outside in the wind, after i get oil all over the barrel....

Nahhh... maybe I'll take a bit of a hard line on this one. What would be more damaging to the paint on a barrel? The heat? The cleaning liquid(s)? Wear & tear from shooting, shoving it in & out of a case, a stroll thru the woods while bumping it into every tree I pass?

My rifles are 98.387% target usage. The remainder is everything else you'd do with a rifle. I don't suppose a properly prepared barrel & a can of Rustoleum or other spray paint designed for metals would be of any benefit?

Or am I wasting time, effort & resourses thinking I can make this happen when the reality is it needs to be done under circumstances beyond the capabilities of my little shop?

Somehow I think I already know the answer to that last question....

Thank anyway guys.

Frank in Fla

brtelec
09-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I have a guy that does all my Cerakote. That is some seriously tough stuff.

acoating.com

fgw_in_fla
09-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Where's he located?

mattm0812
09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Sharpie will do the trick.

brtelec
09-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Phoenix area. Actually Peoria Az. The first time I used him I was living in Louisiana and shipped to him. He does nice work and is very easy to deal with.

helotaxi
09-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I've done ceracote myself on two handgun frames and it is extremely durable and can be done yourself; however, I don't know about you but a rifle barrel won't fit in my oven and that is the limiting factor. If you're going to bother, go the bake-on route, you'll thank yourself in the end.

stangfish
09-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Have done Duracoate and GunKote. They are OK but I hear Ceracoate is the best. Prep is the key but tuning your gun for an even wet coat is critical as well if your using an airbrush

rjsixgun
09-13-2012, 09:05 PM
For years I've used a specially formulated paint that is made just for metal, its called Rustolium.............works great!!!! Doesn't need to be baked (its not a cake) nor do I need to pay someone else to put it on.

The key is to degrease it.

Grott
09-13-2012, 09:56 PM
A nice factor of a rattle can is touch up is super easy as are color changes and camo jobs to change with the season. If its going to do most of its work on the range one of the baked on finishes will work well and be plenty tough.

Either way prep is the key to a good coating.

jonbearman
09-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I dont care what anyone says but a 2 stage auto paint or even the rattle cans will do a good job.If you scratch it,touch it up. The only thing I would do is get it bead blasted. Make sure you plug the barrel with plumbers putty and duct tape the end. I can bead blast it for free if you pay shipping both ways.

wahoowad
09-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I am considering spraying my Model 16 stainless barrel with Rustoleum - probably a flat black or some olive variant to make it less visible to coyotes. Is a can of Mineral Spirits a suitable degreasor for the barrel and action? If not, what is?

Do you use a base primer or just shoot it with flat?

Also - how does a flat black or other flat spray product handle gun oil? For example oil at the end of the barrel from cleaning or similar around the bolt? Does it leave a wet oil spot that stays in the flat paint?

JCalhoun
09-14-2012, 06:05 PM
My FFL shop will do both Duracoat and Ceracoat. Find them online Gulf Coast Shooting (GCS).

If you want to use a spray make sure to clean the entire surface with some denatured alcohol. Mask of stuff you don't want paint on like the trigger group, bolt head & body, etc.

Any of the automotive or Rustoleum sprays will do. You can use a flat black primer if you wish, just be sure that the primer and paint are the brand if possible.

rrflyer
09-14-2012, 06:17 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Photoflight/a9118725.jpg

Spray paint.

About 30 paint jobs in a 7 dollar can.

nsaqam
09-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey, you need to decide if you want a Bubba job or a professional one.

Bubba does just fine with a rattle can.

Professionals use something better.