stangfish
09-14-2012, 07:20 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Photoflight/a9118725.jpg

Spray paint.

About 30 paint jobs in a 7 dollar can.

Haha. 500.00 in the stock and 2.00 in the paint

BoilerUP
09-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I used flat black Rustoleum camo on my 260 barreled action...cerakote it ain't but good prep, even application and drying in the hot summer sun has made it reasonably durable.

For $5 at Wal-Mart, hard to beat...besides, if one does decide to go a professional coating route its gonna get blasted anyway...

brtelec
09-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I have to agree with Stangfish. I do not get putting $2500- in one of my rifles and then spray painting it with a rattle can. It is like spending 300 to 500 on a barrel, 40 bucks on a wrench, 60 bucks on a barrel wrench, 25 bucks on a recoil lug and then trying to figure out how to avoid spending the money on proper head space gauges. It's like buying a Cooper or Blaser rifle and putting a Barska scope on it. Now in the same vein, I agree that if I was shooting a stock Stevens, Axis or something along those lines I do not think I would spend the 200 to 300 having someone Cerakote it, but I would still Duracoat it myself.

nsaqam
09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
I have to agree with Stangfish. I do not get putting $2500- in one of my rifles and then spray painting it with a rattle can. It is like spending 300 to 500 on a barrel, 40 bucks on a wrench, 60 bucks on a barrel wrench, 25 bucks on a recoil lug and then trying to figure out how to avoid spending the money on proper head space gauges. It's like buying a Cooper or Blaser rifle and putting a Barska scope on it. Now in the same vein, I agree that if I was shooting a stock Stevens, Axis or something along those lines I do not think I would spend the 200 to 300 having someone Cerakote it, but I would still Duracoat it myself.

I have to agree as well.

devildogandboy
09-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Phoenix area. Actually Peoria Az. The first time I used him I was living in Louisiana and shipped to him. He does nice work and is very easy to deal with.

yeah, i've been there and talked to Tim. nice guy, laid back and looks like he does excellent work from what i have seen. i would give him a try!

M.O.A.
09-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Well if you scratch your $200 or $300 cerakote you well be kinda ticked but if you scratch your rattle can job you just rattle your can up and shoot some more on it and smile because you saved $195 to $295 for ammo to shoot.

Not saying anything bad about cerakote as I will most likely have my Stevens koted when I get done with it but that will be a while so for now the rattle can is my friend.

M.O.A.
09-15-2012, 12:15 AM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Photoflight/a9118725.jpg

Spray paint.

About 30 paint jobs in a 7 dollar can.

And by the way your rattle can job looks great ;-)

rrflyer
09-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Once you get to a certain point the rifle is just a tool and no matter what coating you use it's gonna get scratched and chipped off. So spending a couple hundred bucks on something that won't last anyhow doesn't make much sense to me.

fgw_in_fla
09-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Well, there certainly is some very interesting opinions here & I have to respect all of them. My mission, should I decide to accept it, will be to transform an Edge (what else?) from it's current caliber to a 7mm rem mag. The barrel to be used is SS & it will need to be matte black if I want it to match.

I saw a rifle build on one of the forums, might even have been here, where the action was black & it had a SS barrel. It looked kinda cool but I'm a little concerned the "kinda cool" will wear off & I'll be right back to wondering how to paint the barrel to match the action.

This is a project for "down the road a bit" since the novelty hasn't worn off on the 7-08 barrel yet.

Once again, I appreciate everyones input. Thanks much.

Frank in Fla

nsaqam
09-15-2012, 06:48 AM
I challenge you to try to chip a good Cerakote job.

Ain't gonna happen.

I had a rifle coated with Norrell's Moly and this isn't nearly as tough as Cerakote. I had to use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to remove it from the barrel. Paint stripper, even the strong Aircraft Remover, didn't phase it.

No comparison whatsoever between even the best rattle can paint and Cerakote.

fgw_in_fla
09-15-2012, 08:54 AM
nsaqam - I had a barrel that I "tried" to remove the Cerakote from. As I worked up to different abrasive & grinding tools I wished I had left it alone. Too much work and the stuff refused to come off. I stopped when I considered the oxy torch.

By the way Flyer - that's a good looking rig. One of these days, hopefully before I go to shoot that Great Savage in the Sky, I'd like to get a barrel with brake like the one shown in your photo, in a .308 or .338 cal. I like the look & it has real nice lines.

Later y'all.... I'm sitting at the curb with my wireless laptop, waiting for my new scope to show up. Yes, I did pay extra for overnight priority saturday delivery.

Frank on the curb in Fla

brtelec
09-15-2012, 09:16 AM
I would love to see a Cerakote finish that is chipped. It is not paint it is a baked on ceramic based finish. Here is a link to a site that shows testing for abrasion.

http://www.nwceramiccoatings.com/?gclid=CJjRtrrUt7ICFQdN4AodKQ0AAA

Here is the link for a side by side comparison of the most popular firearms finishes.

http://www.nwceramiccoatings.com/index.php?m=90

@devildogandboy: I agree Tim is a great guy to deal with and fast fast fast. He is also doing a huge amount of finish work for Ruger in Prescott Az. He has full machine shop capabilities also and does beautiful work.

Shoot-N-Nut
09-15-2012, 11:50 AM
There is no doubt about it, Cerakote is top of the line coating. But if your on a budget and want to do it yourself, without using the wifes oven and stinking up the house (which I have done before!), Duracoat is a great option. They have started making it even easier for the DIY'er by selling the new spray kits so you dont need a air compressor and gun to spray it. Ive had great luck with Duracoat over the years, the key is to get the metal totaly degreased and cleaned first and give it plenty of cure time to harden beofre you put it back together, I usally let it hang atleast four or five days before reassembly and give it a few more days before any heavy use or shooting alot. Duracoat continues to harden over time, I have a couple that was done in Duracoat a few years ago that I have tested, paint stripper just sits there and bubbles on top of it.

JCalhoun
09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
The fellas at GCS told me when I had some guns finished, Cerakote is tough as nails. Cerakote being a baked on finish can only be applied to metal. Duracoat (not quite as tough), can be applied to anything that can normally be painted including wood, plastic parts, stocks, scopes and accessories and it can be had in a multitude of colors or you can get a custom color. The only drawback to Duracoat is they tell you it needs a week to completely cure.

brtelec
09-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Cerakote can be applied to polymers I have a Glock that is Cerakoted. It is baked longer at a slightly lower temperature. Cerakote is also applied in such a thin coating that it will not interfere with fitment of parts after it is finished.

On the subject of Duracoat as mentioned by shoot-n-nut, I use Duracoat on any items that my smith will not Cerakote, like H-S stocks. I apply it myself and have very good luck with it. The first time I saw it was at a gun show and there was a guy there with two shotgun barrels that had been Duracoated and he was repeatedly beating them together. The barrels were all dented up but the finish was unmarred.

brtelec
09-15-2012, 01:46 PM
This is my 300WSM that the barreled action and the scope have been Cerakoted

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_2576.jpg

This is my .338 Lapua. The barreled action and the scope are Cerakoted and the stock is Duracoated

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_0395.jpg

This is my Cerakoted Glock

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_2580.jpg

rrflyer
09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I'chipped and scraped off cerakote from more than one rifle.

My last GAP had quite a bit of wear on it. I do think cerakote is the toughest coating I've played with but concrete and steel are tougher...

I would choose it over Duracoat by a long shot.

fgw_in_fla
09-15-2012, 06:16 PM
You ceracoated your Glock?......

I think that's blasphemy in some countries.....

The longer I look at everone's Ceracoated toys & the more I read, I'm thinking that's the way to go. I suppose I'll stop by the bank on Monday & apply for a mortgage to pay for a few things to be done.

Frank in Fla

Opus Dei
09-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I challenge you to try to chip a good Cerakote job.

Ain't gonna happen.

I had a rifle coated with Norrell's Moly and this isn't nearly as tough as Cerakote.

Agreed; I have a rifle in Norrell's Moly Coat and it's not durable. I scratched it with a pocket-sized screwdriver sized for scope ring screws.

brtelec
09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
When I bought my Glock it was a LE turn in and was in rough shape cosmetically. I was carrying it when I went to see Tim to do my Remington. We got to talking about doing the grip area and he offered to cut me a deal to do the grip and Cerakote it the same color. Made me a offer I could not refuse.