Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .223 on a Long Action

EvanB

SSS cant help me, suggested another source but still unable to find one. I am thinking trade my 110S in .308 with someone that might want it in tead of their 110V model. Any help either way would be welcome!

Team Savage
    Wow, I did not know SSS had stopped making those bolt heads.
    Yeah a cheap short action might be close to as cheap in the long run after you assemble all the parts.

PTG's website gives you the option to buy a .378 long action right eject bolt head...

Basic Member

.223 on a Long Action

Doh! Spoke too soon!

Team Savage
    Geez last time I called them they said no.
    Thats good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    PTG's website gives you the option to buy a .378 long action right eject bolt head...
    I stand corrected.

Evidently PTG has changed their website since I looked at it last (couple weeks ago); they now no longer give a .378 option for a long action bolt head.

That said, Kiff has some of the best customer service in the industry; I'll shoot him a message on SnipersHide and see what he says.

EvanB
    Got my bolt head situation resolved By Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks. Did a fine job with quick turnaround. He had to make a part but no problem! Barrel being changed as we speak.

Axis rifles are all built on long actions. Wouldn't the bolt head from a 223 Axis do exactly what you need?

EvanB
    I really do not know if the AXIS bolts would work on the older Savage 110S and 110V rifles. If it would, I would think thet the bolt heads would be the same and that suppliers would have them in stock, which they dont seem to through my search. I did find a man, Kevin at Stockade Gunstocks that did it for me. I am now in the process of barrel changeout. Should have it ready in a week or so.

thomae
    In the below photo, the bottom bolt is my Axis bolt as set up for .223 (but remember that the action length is the same for all Axis rifles).
    The top bolt is from my 110 series long action 6.5 swede.

I have lined up the cocking ramps and you see that the distance to the chamber end of the bolt body is different. I believe this shows that Axis bolt bodies will not work properly in Savage long action rifles.

Please correct me if I am mistaken in my assertion.

(P. s., Photo taken on the stairs that go down to my basement. I guess they need to be vacuumed more often.)

Last edited by thomae; 11-24-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: I can't get anything right the first time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12