Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 on a Long Action

Basic Member

.223 on a Long Action

I've seen .308-class rifles built on a long action, but I'm not sure I remember specifically anyone doing a .223-class gun on a 110 based action, you know, a long action. Is this specific build begging for feeding problems? Will it feed at all?

Mate... The word is that its the business!

You can use the long pills and seat em how you want I guess... Seen em before. They work but I don't know how much work was involved. Someone here will be able to tell your sharpish!

Basic Member
    I know it's done on other actions (Tikka builds everything off a long action if I remember right), but I'm curious about Savages. My hope is to build an adjustable for my girls they can grow into.

Savage did it with the heavy barreled 110V in the late 1980s chambered for the 223. It's a blind magazine with a portion of the back length blocked off with a spacer. Mine fed nicely from the magazine but I went to a single shot follower some time ago to simplify loading at the bench. My 110V will put 10 shots into a dime group at 100 yards all day long and shames my 12VLP. I guess I need some more load development for the latter.

671RTO9513
    I just did one. Change bolt head, and use the mag box with the extra 223 spacer and correct follower in it. I used a 110 that was originally for 308 family so had the shorter mag box cutout in the action floor.

Works and shoots perfectly. No feeding problems at all from the mag.
    Last edited by 671RTO9513; 09-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.

All the cool kids build 223s on long actions.

This action started life as a 270 Win; CDI Precision makes a DBM for Savage L/A that uses AICS-pattern 223/308 magazines and I have zero issues feeding. With an extended bolt baffle, bolt throw is only 1/4" longer than a short action with standard (non-extended) baffle.

I'd consider a 223 built on a "normal" long action to be a single-feed proposition without the CDI DBM and AICS 223 magazines; you could make something work if you fiddled with parts but I'm not that patient!

I have a Savage 223 I have converted to a 222. The shorter case wouldn't eject too well so I removed the ejector and just use it as a one shot rifle. Don't have to chase my brass that way. It can be made to eject with a little work but I like it better this way. I love mine.

Floyd

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I have time to kill waiting for my .308 to come back from Manners, so if the right deal comes along I'll start collecting parts for the next build. Just didn't want to jam myself into a no-win situation

Orange_Crush
    Savage also made the older flat back long action in a .223 right from the factory. I just bought a nice used one.

Orange_Crush
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
    Savage also made the older flat back long action in a .223 right from the factory. I just bought a nice used one.
    I should have added that the one I purchased had a sporter weight barrel.

That's what my rifle started out as. The older 223 flat back I got at a pawn shop. Rifle was in rough condition but nothing I couldn't clean up. Put a nice used stock on it, McGowen 222 barrel, and it's a shooter. With help from the guys at the Castboolits site it's now a dedicated cast boolit shooter. MOA past 100 yds @ about 2700 fps. It's not only fun to shoot but cheap also. Good luck with your project.

Floyd

EvanB
    I am doing the same conversion, a .308 110S to .223. Can you elaborate on the magazine modification? I think I am ok with changing the bolt face, barrel, etc. What other issues may I encounter?

I built my 223AI on a long action for benchrest shooting. I use a single shot adapter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
    I am doing the same conversion, a .308 110S to .223. Can you elaborate on the magazine modification? I think I am ok with changing the bolt face, barrel, etc. What other issues may I encounter?
    Your biggest obstacle will be finding a long action .223 bolt head, they were discontinued in 2005.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Your biggest obstacle will be finding a long action .223 bolt head, they were discontinued in 2005.
    Seems like the Axis may be a good base for a Long action .223. I just learned the other day that it can be adjusted with the baffel behind the bolt head, so you could get an Axis in 30-06 and change it out to a .223 bolt head.

If the recoil lug bothers you you can have the action time and trued and face off 3/16 of an inch and run a standard one. I may go this route on my .223 build next year now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    SSS makes a kit that allows one to safely use a short action .378 bolt head on a long action, right?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    SSS makes a kit that allows one to safely use a short action .378 bolt head on a long action, right?
    I think sharpshooter (Fred) would have mentioned that if SSS had them!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I think sharpshooter (Fred) would have mentioned that if SSS had them!
    That's what I thought too...but many folks here have mentioned such a "kit" (don't remember its 'official' name).

EvanB
    Dont mean to hijack your thread but since we are on the subject maybe you know the answer; I have a 110S in .308 that I want to change to .223 using a Savage 110V .223 barrel, nut and recoil lug. I know I have to change the bolt face and modify the mag (going with single shot "Fred Sled"). Question is, is the barrel shank the same size between the 110S and the 110V?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, anyone know where i can have the barrels changed out. Probably less expensive to send it out than to buy the barrel wrench, vice, go and no go guages.

Thank You.

Team Savage
    From what I understand the only place to get a long action 223 bolt head is either off the old original 223 long action which is rare or Fred at SSS makes them from what I understand.

I do think PTG can make a long action .378 bolt head too....

Maybe PTG will make the bolthead for this application.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Team Savage
    I called them a while back to ask and they said no they did not make one at that time.

Seems like they could make some coin off of it, but as of yesterday they were pulling their hair out trying to get the new Savage bottom metal out.

EvanB
    It seems that everything I want to do is possible, and the components are available with the exception of the .223 bolt head for the long action bolt. I guess I have to find one of those before proceeding with my conversion from .308 to .223. I have a barrel from an original 110v in .223 coming. The owner converted his to a .20 Varget. If anyone knows where I might find one, I'd appreciate it.

Team Savage
    Call SSS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast