Thread: I'm not new here, but it's been a while.

Wink I'm not new here, but it's been a while.

Have shot almost none since spring of 2021 when I ordered a new barrel for my model 12 benchrest rifle.. That Shilen barrel took 6 and not 2 months to arrive, and by then I'd lost all interest in LR shooting.. I eventually installed that Shilen premium barrel (in .25 Winchester Super Short Magnum) last year but did nothing regarding shooting until about a month ago when I decided to get my Savage 110 EL Tactical Desert...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020Dec28_D3A5139_Stock 4 colors, right_1500w.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	9756
    ...in 6 Creed running again.. Bought a new Zeiss V4 (3 - 12 X 56mm) scope, a bunch of factory ammo, and then decided to reload for it.. Ordered a bunch of supplies, and then changed my alleged mind and ordered a new 110 Elite Precision...
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57555
    ...in 6 Creed.

We'll see how this goes. ��
    Long-time shootist and reloadist; VERY-happily-retired accountant.

Banned
    Did you ever get your 12 running again? That’s a peculiar switch…. 25 WSSM to 6mmCM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Did you ever get your 12 running again? That’s a peculiar switch…. 25 WSSM to 6mmCM.
    Well, 'peculiar' fits me! My no-barrel-for-6-months experience with the 25WSSM sort of soured me on that cartridge, and I sold most of my .257" bullets and some other stuff.. I still have the rifle, scope, dies, and cases, but I'd have to restart my 25-caliber life.. I'm 79, a bit chubby, and also arthritic, and I've had my right shoulder joint replaced...twice, so I'm more sensitive to recoil than the typical guy.. The 6CM just 'fits' me better; maybe I'll get it running.

Welcome back!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    welcome back

I thank you all for your welcomes.

GaCop, TYVM for serving our country.

FWIW, I've ordered a new Savage 110 Elite Precision Rifle in 6 Creed; it might be here tomorrow the 28th.. It'll replace the Tactical Desert which I'll eventually sell.. Also, after fantacizing about other .257" calibers I could rechamber the model 12's 25WSSM barrel into, I'll be keeping that and getting that running.. Unfortunately, with our 6-month summers (late-April thru early-October), both of these will be slow projects.

Back and forth, this then that...when everything takes so long to get going, for me at least, I have too much time to think, and I come up with too many alternatives.. For instance, for a week of so I couldn't find a barrel manufacturer that chambered 25-284, so I ordered a 25 Creedmoor barrel for the 12BR from X-caliber; that should be here in a few weeks. Meanwhile I decided to stop working on my 6Creedmoor ('6CM') loads, sort-of-abandon that caliber and Precision Rifle, and concentrate on my 25WSSM-caliber 12BR and buy a 25-284 reamer and die sets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021Dec28_DSF0833_Rifle and Zeiss Scope_2000w.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	9835

I have plenty of Berger 133s and older 117s and Hornady 134s, and LOTS of powders (108 pounds) and 14K of primers.. And now I wait for somewhat-cooler temperatures while I return to 25WSSM stuff.
    🙂

Banned
    WoW Indecisive much?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    WoW Indecisive much?
    No; I'm usually quick to decide and then buy.

Nothing wrong with flying by the seat of your pants from day to day depending on what trips your trigger on a given day. Can get a bit expensive, but if you can afford it I say go for it. Fortunately my spontaneous nature is kept in check by my typically being "gun poor" so I can't make those impulsive buys when the mood strikes. Keeps me from wasting too much money and usually ensures that when I do finally buy I'll stick with it as I've had plenty of time to mull it over while saving up the $$.

That said, I have a 6x47 Lapua build here that's been collecting dust for at least 3 or 4 years now simply because an ignition issue with the ARC Nucleus action I built it on really soured me on the whole project. Think I've only put 50 or 60 rounds through it in total.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain