Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.8 Western

Basic Member

I tend to doubt our PA expert is any older than I am and further wonder if his experience handloading and shooting long range rifles approaches mine.

A few more from my safe:

243 and 300 H&H bull gun (Both now also wearing 2" Unertls)

308, 220 Swift, 270 WCF

7x61 S&H

6.5-300 BEE

6.5 Creedmore

I'm sitting here in THE EQUALITY STATE with $1000 awaiting him to step up. HMMMMMMM-------

Basic Member

As for the 6.8 Western

It's a solution in search of a problem.

Might have some use in F Class although it kicks more than a 6mm Creed or 224 Valkyrie.

For hunting. given the MT/WY/ID stats on Elk kills a 30-06 with 180 cup-n-core softpoints would works as well for 99% of hunters, and my R1 300 Winny with 168 TTSXs would do it for 100%.

But I don't kill Elk far away as they are neither genius IQ or bullet proof.

My last one kileed at 18 paces with a flinter.

made famous by this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    I tend to doubt our PA expert is any older than I am and further wonder if his experience handloading and shooting long range rifles approaches mine.

A few more from my safe:

243 and 300 H&H bull gun (Both now also wearing 2" Unertls)

308, 220 Swift, 270 WCF

7x61 S&H

6.5-300 BEE

6.5 Creedmore

I'm sitting here in THE EQUALITY STATE with $1000 awaiting him to step up. HMMMMMMM-------
    Nice collection. Damn you are old. Yobuck is 104 I think. Or maybe he is 82... I forgot.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

It's a solution in search of a problem.
    +1

Basic Member
    Yup kinda like the 6.5 NeedMore that reinvented the 6.5x55. (and don't bother with the short action BS)

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    I'm personally not looking at this cartridge. It's old news in my opinion, and
    looking at it from a wild catter's point of view, it's been done already. The
    difference here is, an established brand brought it to market. But any way,
    pick your poison.....I brew my own.
    After looking up some ballistics it really doesn't offer much more than the 270 Win and about even with 270 WSM unless you start figuring beyond 1,000 yds. I'm not at all against it but the 6.5 PRC seems more appealing to me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    Yup kinda like the 6.5 NeedMore that reinvented the 6.5x55. (and don't bother with the short action BS)
    Seems that mfrs are offering and forming current cartridge cases to take modern high BC bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Nice collection. Damn you are old. Yobuck is 104 I think. Or maybe he is 82... I forgot.
    Actually i turned 86 in April.
    And no i dont have a collection of nice guns that could come close to his.
    So i guess since he has the most nice toys he wins. lol
    But the fact is that he never used any of those Unertle’s for actual long range (hunting.)
    And the fact is i did, which is why when better choices came along i moved on.
    Because if he had, his would have all found a new home by now also.
    Ditto with the Balvars.
    But hey, dont take my word, take a trip anywhere where top shooters are congregated, like say Camp Perry, or any of the 1000 yd benchrest clubs and see if you find any Unertle’s or B&Ls.
    And you wont be finding many of the nice old model 70s either.
    It’s no different than having a collection of nice old bamboo fly rods.
    Nice to look at, but other than that they mean nothing, especially with regard to the owner.
    As for the velocity issue thats an easy one to solve even without a Chrony.
    The number of clicks on the dial after a shot will tell the (real) velocity.
    Provided the scope blocks on those old scopes are spaced properly. lol

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Actually i turned 86 in April.
    And no i dont have a collection of nice guns that could come close to his.
    So i guess since he has the most nice toys he wins. lol
    But the fact is that he never used any of those Unertle’s for actual long range (hunting.)
    And the fact is i did, which is why when better choices came along i moved on.
    Because if he had, his would have all found a new home by now also.
    Ditto with the Balvars.
    But hey, dont take my word, take a trip anywhere where top shooters are congregated, like say Camp Perry, or any of the 1000 yd benchrest clubs and see if you find any Unertle’s or B&Ls.
    And you wont be finding many of the nice old model 70s either.
    It’s no different than having a collection of nice old bamboo fly rods.
    Nice to look at, but other than that they mean nothing, especially with regard to the owner.
    As for the velocity issue thats an easy one to solve even without a Chrony.
    The number of clicks on the dial after a shot will tell the (real) velocity.
    Provided the scope blocks on those old scopes are spaced properly. lol

I agree Mr buck. Except for the 86. Same age as my dear mother.

She says go with the Zero Compromise Optics for Position Shooting at varied ranges and March for the BR or BBR type shooting. In a pinch NF is a great option. I'm with her.

Basic Member
    Of course if you are shooting matches there are better choices than the classic Unertl and B&Ls, BUT nobody is shooting a classic M 70 target rifle in matches either.

You'll note the scope on my primary hinting rifle is a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 (now foolishily discontinued) with the illuminated HV reticle.

On the 338 RUM is a 4-28 IOR that's a few years old but still among the best.

Night quite sure about the click business to measure velocity, I prefer my Magneto Speed or my pal's Lab Radar.

I note our PA expert has yet to admit calling me a liar is bad manners nor has he stepped up to take my wager.

Fun to bang the keyboard, not show his massive collection of long range rifles nor any trophies.

This one will kill a standing BLM member at 600 yards if I do my part.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=99 K 30-30;490520]Of course if you are shooting matches there are better choices than the classic Unertl and B&Ls, BUT nobody is shooting a classic M 70 target rifle in matches either.

You'll note the scope on my primary hinting rifle is a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 (now foolishily discontinued) with the illuminated HV reticle.

On the 338 RUM is a 4-28 IOR that's a few years old but still among the best.

Night quite sure about the click business to measure velocity, I prefer my Magneto Speed or my pal's Lab Radar.

I note our PA expert has yet to admit calling me a liar is bad manners nor has he stepped up to take my wager.

Fun to bang the keyboard, not show his massive collection of long range rifles nor any trophies.

This one will kill a standing BLM member at 600 yards if I do my part.

Well the doing (our part) is always the key issue.
    I have no trophys except a few mounted ones, and those are only meant for me, who else actually cares about someone elses trophys?
    I do have enough good guns to do what i do however and if i were concerned enough that everybody see them id learn to post pictures.

Yeah, I like the pictures of nice rifles and his love of the second amendment but he has adopted the Mike in Colorado attitude towards you. Im not sure why, I must have missed something. But it won't be long and the whole forum will turn against him. One of those, "A friend of my friend is my friend and an enemy of my friend is my enemy" sort of things.

I firmly believe, and it is true for me also, that most people show their life issues in the way they present themselves. We should realize that even if we disagree we are all on the same team. However sit inside for 6 months of covid lockdowns you get frustrated. Loose a job, a wife or finances and it can cause strife in your life and forum posts. That being said I see the anger to a much greater extent in the young people today, Especially on forums where young people hang out.

Basic Member
    As recently as about a decade ago very few people ever heard the names Lab Radar, or Magneto Speed.
    Thats not intended to say or even imply that they arent very good units.
    Chrony has been around considerably longer, but for the most part they are considered to be a marginal performing unit.
    Ohler has long been looked upon as being a top performing unit.
    But none of them should be relied upon as a final source of information.
    Actual shooting is the final source, and due to many factors that can vary also from day to day.
    Now compounding all that is the fact that 20 years ago nobody here had a home computer.
    Let alone something you could hold in your hand that would solve pretty much everything a shooter could ask for.
    The key words of coarse being (pretty and much).
    Sorta like (doing my part). lol

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    but he has adopted the Mike in Colorado attitude towards you.
    That's about right !! That chip on Mikes shoulder must have made him limp !!

Now not to derail this thread anymore.....I did take a look at that pic of the cartridge
    that was to hit 3000 fps. If yinz take a good look at it, you'll notice the deeply seated
    bullet hogging powder space. If I were to push the envelope with it, i'd have it throated
    where it would be single feed only. That one looks mag length and crimped.

As for that 6.8 ?? I do like wild catting the .284 Winchesters mainly because of better
    powder capacities and still use a standard bolt face. Maybe one day do a Fat Bastard BR
    case with thing.....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Funny that NONE of the "experts" noted the 338 RUM was built on a Right bolt, Left feed SHORT single shot action. Swap of bolt head and, of course no magazine. Will NOT eject a loaded round, empties work fine. Hardly an issue as I've never found the need to unload a VLR rifle, except by pulling the trigger. As for powder space, again laffin as it holds enuf to achieve the targeted velocity of 3000 fps with a 300 gr Berger.

Chronys work fine given the need to correct for distance, sun interference and the risk of shooting one up. Far better than the BS that used to pass for velocity estimates.

Hey yo buck --- where do you shoot in Vero. We moved there after 20 years in Key West in Jan 2020 ?

Basic Member
    ^^^Not much shooting in the Conch Republic

Basic Member
    That depends who you knew and your military status.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123