Thread: 6.5 creed rechamber to 6.5 prc

Basic Member

6.5 creed rechamber to 6.5 prc

I want to re chamber a6.5 creed to 6.5 prc I have the magnum bolt head . I have info for a accuracy international mag to accommodate the longer fatter cartridge . The gun is a Savage ashburry . What i need to know is who is a recommended gun Smith that knows savage that can use do this work .

If your magnum bolt head is of Savage manufacture, the firing pin you need is something like 1/8 inch longer. Me personally after going through this with several people, I would suggest trading bolts with someone or somehow getting the correct magnum bolt head.

Tthere are a couple of other less desirable options which include a relatively expensive custom PT&G bolt head or modifying a long action magnum bolt head to work with your firing pin. Even that route may include some machining of the spring stop (cutting a 1/16" of the face). All that BS is just not worth it unless you have the tools to do it yourself and you have the knowledge to determine the places and dimensions to machine those parts to. Swap bolts and either save or sell the magnum bolt head.

Robinhood
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I currently have a ptg short action magnum bolt head . I am using it on an axis I made into a 7 mm rem mag. No firing problems. Savage makes a short action mag bolt head for the 300wsm they chamber for ptg makes it also. Ai makes mag for fatter longer cartridge in wsm family that will work for prc I called to verify I just need to know who will rechamber creed to prc . PS the ash burry is available for 839.00 from buds gunshop it comes with target accu trigger and magpull cheek riser. I bought one and want o get another it shoots
    amazing . I just want for long range hunting with more pop than creed. Just need to know who is good for rechamber from creed to prc. Thanks

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Configurations

The PTG is a custom unit that you have is custom and the dimension are different than the factory Bolt Head. It is designed to work with the standard firing pin as I stated before. Someone ordered the correct part. There are literally dozen of places to get a barrel chambered and installed. If you are not interested in Fred Moreo, bugholes.com is highly recommended. Nat Lambeth is another.

Basic Member
    The unit I bought at the time was stock . Selected it by clicking on it on site. Now its a 6 week wait they only make them 1 at a time. But its selected off drop down menu options 64 bucks each custom options cost 94 bucks . Mine fits great as good as oem . I guess if one feels funny you could get a smith to order it from Savage they still chamber 300 wsm on short actions same bolt head . I wrote this in a post couple years ago . Moderators highlighted the post. It is the solution to not file bolts down . The guy that made video to file down bolts was the guy that highlighted my post think it was Dr thunder. Check ptg website it takes two minutes to confirm this. By the way I appreciate all you do on this site you really help a lot of people my self included .

I think we are closer than you know with one exception. The Savage WSM head will not work like you non standard PT&G unit due to not being dimensionally the same. The Savage WSM actions have the same bolt body and several other parts in common with its non magnum counterparts but the Bolt Head length and the firing pin length are different. This has been proven to be true many times over and the PTG BH is a fix for conversions like you are making. Not ground breaking as many of have done it before.

If you order one from Savage that fits the Savage short action magnum 270 WSM, the 7mm WSM or the 300 WSM is will have lugs that are 9/16" long. You have the one that only PTG sells that has 7/16 long lugs. This is why you do not need to modify your firing pin or the bolt head like I stated previously. You may not think the PTG is a custom Bolt Head but I believe it is for the simple reason that it is dimensionally different than any factory bolt head made. Bellow is the article showing that data.

L to R
    short action (7/16" lugs)
    short action controlled round feed(1/2" lugs)
    long action (1/2" lugs)
    new short action heavy magnum (9/16" lugs)

The new heavy magnum bolt head requires the new relieved front baffle (shown to the right) and also a longer firing pin. The new heavy magnum bolt head is replacing the short action CRF bolt head, as the CRF is not needed on the new center feed magazines for the WSM line of cartridges.

Submitted by Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter Supply

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Honestly it does not really matter because you have the correct one for your conversion. I did not know when I made my first post due to your reference to the factory Savage Short action magnum, that will in fact not work without modification of some part of your assembly.

Dr. Thunder was not the first one to utilize a shortened version of a LA bolt head modified to fit a short action magnum Bolt Head application. He did make the first video however.

Bellow is the PTG drawing that represents the dimensions of the bolt head you have. It is the correct one for your conversion and the Axis conversion to a SA magnum. Not having the knowledge that you had this one I made this post stating you would need to spend some coin on a PTG B.H. Because you had that one it was money that had already been spent. If you had tried to use the 300 WSM Bolt head that savage made for short actions, your experience would have been much more frustrating due to the 1/8" difference in overall length. That is a fact.

If you take the overall length of the short action; 1.44" and minus the nose; 1.00" you have a lug that is .44 or 7/16". With PTG's design they have standardized their $69 bolt head to have 7/16" long lugs on all versions regardless of the case rim size. This is the identical length of the Savage standard(.473 bolt face) that fits the 308 and all other short action cartridges with that size bolt head. As you mentioned they do have a more expensive model that is according to their nomenclature custom, I can see where we missed that but it does not change the fact that almost every PTG BH has custom dimensions and in my mind it remains a custom non factory piece. Compare and you will see that I was not leading you astray.

If we knew what area of the country you are in we might be able to help you find someone to do your barrel closer to home.

Basic Member
    Thanks robinhood quite the detail I am impressed . At least we can direct people to ptg for the solution to the issue 69 bucks I think is money well spent for a drop in solution . I live on long island and its quite dry to gunsmiths that do lathe work for barrels as far as I know . I think Pennsylvania has some but I don't know them .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    Thanks robinhood quite the detail I am impressed . At least we can direct people to ptg for the solution to the issue 69 bucks I think is money well spent for a drop in solution . I live on long island and its quite dry to gunsmiths that do lathe work for barrels as far as I know . I think Pennsylvania has some but I don't know them .
    Call kevin Cram, Montour rifles in Danville PA. Which is an exit on I 80. Excellent long range gun builder and hunter.
    If your lucky, you might even wiggle an invite to the best long range hunting in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Call kevin Cram, Montour rifles in Danville PA. Which is an exit on I 80. Excellent long range gun builder and hunter.
    If your lucky, you might even wiggle an invite to the best long range hunting in the east.
    Great reputation, far and wide.

Basic Member
    Thanks so much guys

Basic Member
    Just looking at the picture, it looks like the tail of the long action magnum bolt head can be milled down to use the short action (not the wsm) firing pin. Or would you be able to use it as it is with a WSM firing pin?

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Just looking at the picture, it looks like the tail of the long action magnum bolt head can be milled down to use the short action (not the wsm) firing pin. Or would you be able to use it as it is with a WSM firing pin?
    Using the Long Action Magnum bolt head like mentioned in post #2 is a viable option with the standard pin. I always removed 1/16th from the bolt stop while I was at tit so I did not increase spring preload. The WSM pin would be a great option as it would give you 1/16th less preload.