I'm looking into doing the same thing to my .308 Hog Hunter. I picked up a Detachable Box Magazine bottom metal from PTG a while ago (after calling them first to ensure they had them in stock, since they have a really bad reputation for long waits when their bottom metal has been out of stock). They offer a 10% military discount, so it cost me a total of like $130 with shipping included. I've had it for a month or so now, but haven't installed it since I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide whether to try to modify my existing, cheapo (though it is steel pillar bedded) Hog Hunter stock, or go with something more like a Boyd's Pro Varmint or Bell & Carlson.

One thing that I'm having to take into consideration is that my rifle has a really long throat. With the longer, internal box, blind magazine, I can load my handloads long enough to be close enough to the lands for good accuracy, but if I switch to an AICS magazine (like the new AICS PMAG that I picked up from MidwayUSA.com for $40 with shipping), my COAL will be limited to right around 2.86 inches- quite a bit shorter, though still longer than the SAAMI spec of 2.80 inches. I hope to make it out to the range in the next month to see what, if any, difference in accuracy shows up between 175gr SMK FGMM at 2.80" and my handloads at 2.90."

'Just something to consider...

Take care,

Acdieter