Thread: Converting blind mag

Berserker

Converting blind mag

Can I convert a blind magazine to to removable magazine, by either cutting, synthetic, or new stock and parts for magazine?
    I don't mind blind magazines, I tend to forget the magazine is there and load from top anyways. But I the rounds are going in cockeyed and I need to keep a screw driver on hand when shooting this gun. The magazine is alot longer then it needs to be, which I think is the problem. But the scope mount is getting in way too.

I am having trouble finding a a scope that is much greater then 5.2" between the bells, which would allow me to get scope mounts that don't hang over magazine. Leopolds do not fit.

Are there better. after market magazines? The one on my predator 111? is so-so.

Trying to decide what to do with this gun. Before I shoot a big one and get attached. I am also getting ready to start working up loads.

Thanks.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ld-on-a-Savage

Basic Member
    Your best option to convert from blind mag to DBM would be a new stock and CDI bottom metal.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    or, if it is a cf, you can just use a factory cf dbm. You'd want the better style, with an all metal frame for the stock and no plastic clip for the magazine. The factory assembly (frame and mag) runs closed to $150. You could use the box, spring and follower you already have and just get the bottom frame and the bottom piece for the box mag, so really, your cost for the add'l parts might only be about $100. THen you need a stock that's inlet for it. I can't imagine trying to convert a factory plastic stock for it.

Check out the FAQ's for info on the different dbm systems.

RedneckSOG
    Won't the replacing the stock with a chassis take care of everything needed for a detachable box mag? The only thing is... every one of them I've seen uses the AI mag. Which isn't cheap...

Basic Member
    1st you need to decide if you want a factory savage mag or an aftermarket mag like AI or CDI.
    If you decide you want a savage mag, its a simple job. Order a stock from Boyds and the bottom metal from Savage, drop it in and yer done!
    If you want an after market mage like CDI thn you gotta buy a new stock from Boyds and ship it to CDI to have it milled out and fitted to their bottom metal which I believe is free with the purchase or their bottom metal but the price of the mag is not included.

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsixgun View Post
    1st you need to decide if you want a factory savage mag or an aftermarket mag like AI or CDI.
    If you decide you want a savage mag, its a simple job. Order a stock from Boyds and the bottom metal from Savage, drop it in and yer done!
    If you want an after market mage like CDI thn you gotta buy a new stock from Boyds and ship it to CDI to have it milled out and fitted to their bottom metal which I believe is free with the purchase or their bottom metal but the price of the mag is not included.
    Thanks I didn't know all the acroynms, been reading FAQ. It is a CF center feed, judging from picture, only 3 rounds.

Instead of buying a new gun, just cause I like to buy guns, I am thinking about putting some money into a gun. Though money is relevant. A little is different to different people.

I like the idea of stock mag, for replacement. But the one I have on other rifle doesn't impress me. I think this is weakness in other guns.
    Last edited by Berserker; 01-10-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Berserker
    What about top vs bottom button? Is bottom easier to convert to, cause it is on the bottom?

Basic Member
    ^^^Nope. Has no affect. You must get a stock, though, that is for top bolt release if that is what you have, etc.

acdieter
    I'm looking into doing the same thing to my .308 Hog Hunter. I picked up a Detachable Box Magazine bottom metal from PTG a while ago (after calling them first to ensure they had them in stock, since they have a really bad reputation for long waits when their bottom metal has been out of stock). They offer a 10% military discount, so it cost me a total of like $130 with shipping included. I've had it for a month or so now, but haven't installed it since I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide whether to try to modify my existing, cheapo (though it is steel pillar bedded) Hog Hunter stock, or go with something more like a Boyd's Pro Varmint or Bell & Carlson.

One thing that I'm having to take into consideration is that my rifle has a really long throat. With the longer, internal box, blind magazine, I can load my handloads long enough to be close enough to the lands for good accuracy, but if I switch to an AICS magazine (like the new AICS PMAG that I picked up from MidwayUSA.com for $40 with shipping), my COAL will be limited to right around 2.86 inches- quite a bit shorter, though still longer than the SAAMI spec of 2.80 inches. I hope to make it out to the range in the next month to see what, if any, difference in accuracy shows up between 175gr SMK FGMM at 2.80" and my handloads at 2.90."

'Just something to consider...

Take care,

Acdieter