Thread: New Model 64 Jamming First Round

New Model 64 Jamming First Round

My grandson is the proud owner of a new Model 64. We are having an issue with it and wanted tocheck here before contacting Savage.
    Half the time, when chambering the first round from a freshclip the shell will jam. By jam I meanthe front of the bullet will not rise high enough and get mashed against thelower half of the chamber.
    I’ve tried to do it fast or slow all being sure to pull itall the way back when loading.
    Any suggestions?

In the future please don't post the same thing 3 times and pay attention to the message that's given after you click the Post button. Because you have less than 5 posts they are subject to moderator approval.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

AnEv942
    What type of bullet? With no modifications the only thing that my 64 fxp would cycle consistantly when new was round nose-period.
    Bulk hollow point it would just fold them half. Mostly due to the sharpness of the machined ramp of the magazine.

Not to say you shouldnt contact Savage- but to let your grandson enjoy a few rounds down range with his new rifle try some rp (unless you have). Mine really likes Federal AutoMatch 40 grain (AM22).

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    In the future please don't post the same thing 3 times and pay attention to the message that's given after you click the Post button. Because you have less than 5 posts they are subject to moderator approval.
    My apologies for posting 3 times – the first time I didn’tsee the message, the second time I caught a glimpse of the message and the thirdtime I got to read about 1/3 of the message before it disappeared. I either need to read faster or the messageneeds to appear long enough for one to read J

mazda3gun
    Take some sand paper to the feed ramp on the mags, might have to get a round or half-round file to persuade it more. Then take it apart, easier than you think really. I just stripped mine down and did a few up grades to it. Look at my profile and check out the Threads I've started and posted in about rimfires for a quick instructional. All you remove is 5 screws/bolts.
    DIP-www.diproductsinc.com is an outstanding rimfire website and make a few things for the 64. I bought the P-rail and Ext. Charging Handle from them. Great, solid products and quick shipping. Ordered late this past Friday and got them yesterday afternoon.
    Also put a bipod on for the heck of it.

I'm newer to this site and the Savage barrel nut bug has bitten me hard! Nearly as hard as the Fender/Gibson guitar bugs!!!

DCLM
    Mine is jamming on the second round. (First one out after the chambered one is shot).