Thread: Learning 1,000 Yard +

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Play money is limited right now - prioritizing my purchase options. Have made 2 decisions for the rest of this year:

1. Keeping my Low Profile Varmint rifle in .243 Win. Simply LIKE this rifle and have a LOT of confidence in its proven accuracy. GREAT trigger and rifle weight is helping me follow thru and see bullet impacts. Am stocked with brass, some bullets and Redding Dies working nicely.

2. With LR shooting coming on board - letting go of 2 scopes, both SFP. Looking hard at the NF NX8 FFP 4x32x50. If I can find one.

Thank you for your replies.

Cheers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taidog1 View Post
    Play money is limited right now - prioritizing my purchase options. Have made 2 decisions for the rest of this year:

2. With LR shooting coming on board - letting go of 2 scopes, both SFP. Looking hard at the NF NX8 FFP 4x32x50. If I can find one.

Thank you for your replies.

Cheers.
    SFP works fine for LR... if it is a quality scope with good tracking and a reticle that can give you feedback... with a few minutes of studying you can figure out how to use your reticle at any power and how that changes your sub tensions... and if you are looking to save some money there's other good FFP options that wont be in the $2000 price range. It may be worth looking at that- and getting a 8 twist 243 barrel with the money you save.... because that opens up a lot better options for you with bullet choice.

If staying with the equipment you have, and not paying for the higher price
    Bergers, get a box of 95 gr. Sierra Match Kings.....Scope wise, All mine are
    SFPs. March High Master 10-60, Nightforce Competition. 15-55, Bushnell XRS
    4.5-30, and a Burris F-Flass 8-40. For the money, The Burris is a crazy good
    scope and overlooked because it is Heavy. It's currently on lone to Geremee
    Gervaise shooting Ridgway's 1000 yard VBR.....For a scope that you will see
    the most on bench's at match's is the Night Force 15-55 Comp. I like it as good
    as my March, and was on my 1000 yard gun......There is also the Vortex GE 10-60
    I had one and got rid of it. They were at a good price point a few years ago, but
    since then, they jacked up the price beyond reason. The NF Comp is far superior.
    Take a strong look at the Burris if money is tight. I use the bracketed dot reticle
    on the rifle I shoot steel with. The bracket is great when mirage gets thick and you
    have a hard time trying to resolve the center.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage
    The wife and I (that's always at least two $copes) have slowly moved up from 100yd play with scopes like the cheapo Diamond Backs,etc,.
    The ones that we now have mounted are the Element Titan, Cronus G2, Burris XTR2 8-40 , and Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30.
    The BEST one, the Burris is currently mounted on the wife's 22Nosler savage for 600yd F-Class and playing on steel @ 800.
    Bought all four from classified ads on various gun forums, "like new in box".
    I hope to move up to 1000yds after we (or one of us ) Masters 600.
    The challenge will be US, and the little 22N, not the scopes.

Basic Member
    Thank you Gentlemen...will spend time considering your good counsel.

A candid admission......................I came home from VA LR training, pleased with my .243 Win & 90 gr bullets. Remember now, I'm new to the LR shooting game.

Many l-o-n-g hrs have been spent studying and listening to some very good advice. As of today, with the 9.25 twist rate I have, I simply cannot shoot a heavier, more advantageous LR bullet weight. Yes, I could go to a faster twist barrel. Good advice. However, I'm also seeing a lot of good information on the 6.5 Creedmoor for LR Target shooting. Not going to rush this but I am considering a trade to a 6.5 C. Good rifles available. >> For me now << it would be easier to simply move over. TBD.

Thanks again.

Basic Member
    "Good" rifles is relative. If your shoots really well then I'd just consider a good barrel. Yes, it can be as much as a new rifle with a stock barrel, but, it will shoot much better. I'd not trade unless the new gun has a premium barrel.

For now just learn to shoot better. Use quality bullets and concentrate on loading technique. Then, consider a new barrel in a chambering of choice. If I were doing competition at longer range I'd be tempted by the 7mm's, like the .284 or PRC (would take some research and advice from Fuj and others).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    "Good" rifles is relative. If your shoots really well then I'd just consider a good barrel. Yes, it can be as much as a new rifle with a stock barrel, but, it will shoot much better. I'd not trade unless the new gun has a premium barrel.

For now just learn to shoot better. Use quality bullets and concentrate on loading technique. Then, consider a new barrel in a chambering of choice. If I were doing competition at longer range I'd be tempted by the 7mm's, like the .284 or PRC (would take some research and advice from Fuj and others).

Thank you Charlie. Much appreciated. Am weighing all my options as you and others are suggesting.

As for the 7mm's............I've been on the hunting side of this for a VERY long time. Too many rifles / cartridges to count. Have always been a 277 / 284 fan for all the advantages you already know. I LOVE my .270 Weatherby. Recoil with that rifle and my '06 and Whelen - never a problem. Same with the 7mm's. So...NOT discounting your recommendations.

That said...one VERY important lesson I learned in VA was to follow thru after the shot and visually see my POI. I know I can do that with a .243. Confident I could do that with a 6.5 Creed. Not sure I can do that with a bigger bore??????? Maybe I can? Remember...I'm new to the LR game.

Cheers.

Many long range records have been set with Vortex Golden Eagle scopes with a street price of $1200, if your hitting targets with a 243 now you’ll hit more with a good scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taidog1 View Post
    Thank you Charlie. Much appreciated. Am weighing all my options as you and others are suggesting.

As for the 7mm's............I've been on the hunting side of this for a VERY long time. Too many rifles / cartridges to count. Have always been a 277 / 284 fan for all the advantages you already know. I LOVE my .270 Weatherby. Recoil with that rifle and my '06 and Whelen - never a problem. Same with the 7mm's. So...NOT discounting your recommendations.

That said...one VERY important lesson I learned in VA was to follow thru after the shot and visually see my POI. I know I can do that with a .243. Confident I could do that with a 6.5 Creed. Not sure I can do that with a bigger bore??????? Maybe I can? Remember...I'm new to the LR game.

Cheers.
    I can't agree more. I don't compete but recoil is one of the main reasons I picked a 6BR.

For some complex reasons I have a 6.5CM I am building now, hoping it will shoot well. It is not a custom barrel so will have to wait and see.