Thread: Erratic shots?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post

To Fuj' would still like to understand your expression of "hard hold".
    Hard hold is, stock pulled into shoulder with a full grip of the hand and remains
    there as the shot breaks. Also having a good cheek weld with opposite hand on
    the forend. Like a sling shooter without the sling......I was trying to find a pic
    you might have posted of your set up but could not. I would like to see how far
    out the muzzle is compared to where the bipod is attached to the forend. Short
    coupled stocks and long tubes will have more vertical whip.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0931.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	10430

On this picture of the Boyd's stock you can see two posts on the fore-end. Until this thread I had been using the rear most one to mount the bipod. Since this thread I have moved out to the front one and boy what a difference it has made.

Also a couple weeks ago while shooting my league targets one of our group that I do not see very often happened to be there and he was watching me and pointed out a couple of flaws. One being that I was not staying down on the rifle and following through. Second was I am wrapping myself more around the rifle than getting behind it. So both of those things are now being worked on to correct. Oh and this gentleman is currently just 2 points out of top place in our league of 22 members.

Basic Member
    I have made both mistakes, too hard a grip/hold and lack of follow through. Got rid of the hold issue by changing my setup on the rest and bags. Follow through can still be an issue. Last few times out I was successful on that side but I lift my head at the most inopportune times. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Hard hold is, stock pulled into shoulder with a full grip of the hand and remains
    there as the shot breaks. Also having a good cheek weld with opposite hand on
    the forend. .......
    Sorry was responding with the picture post at the same time you posted. The grip I use has me keeping on hand on the rear bag to hold adjustment. Which may be wrong. As required by league rules all manipulation of the rifle, elevation and windage, must be controlled by the bag. so the free hand is not on the stock.