Thread: What to do, what to do???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    I was momentarily excited , I have been thinking of selling my 25-35 Barrel and getting a 23-35 AI or a 25 BB but now I dunno, See what you've done now I do have Leverevelution hummmmm I wonder what that would do in my 257 JDJ

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmarine View Post
    I was momentarily excited , I have been thinking of selling my 25-35 Barrel and getting a 23-35 AI or a 25 BB but now I dunno, See what you've done now I do have Leverevelution hummmmm I wonder what that would do in my 257 JDJ
    I can tell you that the 25Bullberry doesn't love the LVR powder. And in fact, I've found apparent pressure spikes in the 30-30 AI. It seems to be specifically designed to work well with slope-shouldered cases of a certain capacity. And even then, it's only listed with certain bullet weights. It's tricky stuff. For cases with extra capacity, there are powders- Varget, H4895, maybe CFE223 - that will equal the performance without hitting a wall and spiking.

Team Savage
    I do use CFE223 in a number of cases not listed with good results

Team Savage
    JA-

I never got the accuracy I wanted with LVR in the 30-30AI barrels I had but found sweet spots and fantastic accuracy in the 7mm Bullberry and 7-30 Waters. I wondered if a hotter primer may have done better with the volume of LVR needed for the 30-30 AI but never got around to testing that. Even in the 25-35, LVR was magical, especially with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    JA-

I never got the accuracy I wanted with LVR in the 30-30AI barrels ...
    I've got notes that indicate .5" grouping with bulk Winchester 150 grain bullets at around a grain and a half over max for 30-30. Just a few tenths of a grain over that and it showed definite pressure signs. I was working to anecdotal data that pushed way beyond that but I found a hard limit. Given the accuracy at what looked like okay pressure, I should go back and revisit that powder and do some chrony work. Varget is so accurate that I don't find much need for anything else when I have it but I stocked up on the LVR when Varget was scarce. I may compare some velocities with 150 grainers and see if the LVR is showing some advantage.

Team Savage
    Varget was my most-used powder in the three 30-30 AI barrels I had. Like you said, with the results it gave, I found little need for anything else. I did have one load in a 23" SS barrel that used H380. It only generated 2400 fps with 150 grain Nosler BTs but was one of the most accurate 30-30 AI loads I have ever found. The hogs never noticed the difference between it and the faster Varget loads ha ha.

Team Savage
    Well, I heard that there may be a .270/.225 IMP (.270 JDJ) barrel in Van Horn's existing inventory. There is, but it's a 16" barrel. I prefer 22 to 24" barrels for my usage.

This one would have been interesting. With the proliferation of softer bullets for the 6.8 SPC, there are plenty of options out there. Heck, even the tried-and-true 130 grain Ballistic Tip would be a topflight choice.

Thus, I am back to square one, so to speak. I'll look around for a bit more. If nothing surfaces, I'll likely just sell the brass for what I have in it.