Thread: Question about Redding dies/die sets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Depends on what you are after. If benchrest precision then it is a different answer than 'normal' or personal use. I am a casual paper puncher. My 6BR I use a Forster FL size die and a Redding competition seat die. I like the micrometer adjustment because I can save the settings for each bullet. Forster will hone the neck to your specs if you want. IIRC Hornady used to make custom size dies if you sent them several fired cases.

My .308 is mostly cast bullets. I use Lee dies for it and for my .223 barrel. I have modified the seat die to give more accurate results (much less runout). I also neck size most of the time and the Lee collet die is the best way to do that for me. The dies are good for 1/2MOA jacketed loads. I do have to admit I have a Redding competition seating die for the .308 when shooting the ELD bullets.

For ultimate precision check with others who complete. Wilson seating dies are probably high on their list. As are the bushing type FL size dies.

Banned
    I try to use Redding dies in whole. I use the Master Hunter with the micrometer seater die for my 260Rem. And I’m getting reading to order a set 260AI from Redding.

I do use use Lee for my 223, but that is because I only load 223 for my AR. At some point I’ll grab Redding for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Depends on what you are after. If benchrest precision then it is a different answer than 'normal' or personal use. I am a casual paper puncher. My 6BR I use a Forster FL size die and a Redding competition seat die. I like the micrometer adjustment because I can save the settings for each bullet. Forster will hone the neck to your specs if you want. IIRC Hornady used to make custom size dies if you sent them several fired cases.

My .308 is mostly cast bullets. I use Lee dies for it and for my .223 barrel. I have modified the seat die to give more accurate results (much less runout). I also neck size most of the time and the Lee collet die is the best way to do that for me. The dies are good for 1/2MOA jacketed loads. I do have to admit I have a Redding competition seating die for the .308 when shooting the ELD bullets.

For ultimate precision check with others who complete. Wilson seating dies are probably high on their list. As are the bushing type FL size dies.
    For most people, Forster will get you where you want to go. Very well. I have used Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Forster, Whidden, and Wilson. I have Many redding dies and the are good dies. I have had 2 sets of Redding that are loose in the press threads. Not good. I find myself appreciating Forster more and more. Good fit and finish and just plain work.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I use a Redding Micrometer die set for my 6.5mm CM - part number 39446. The set came with a full sizing die and a crimper.
    For most of my other bench rifles, I use Forster Micrometer die sets. The Forster die sets came with full and neck sizing dies which I would have preferred since I shoot bolt actions mostly and don't crimp. f I had an AR 6.5mm, the Redding crimper might have had some value.
    Forster didn't have a 6.5mm CM die available when I bought my first 6.5mm CM.

The Redding dies work great just like the Forster dies, but I prefer the Forster dies.
    The only difference between the Redding dies and the Forster dies is that one turn of the Redding Dies changes the seating depth by 50 thousandths and one turn of the Forster dies changes the seating depth by 25 thousandths.
    For someone with bad eyesight, the Forster might be easier to set because the spaces between the markings are wider.
    But I find both are easy to set.