Thread: A serious question to high end scope users.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    It's diminishing returns for sure after that ~$2000 price point. But if you have the cash, go for it...but personally I would get a ZCO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    It's diminishing returns for sure after that ~$2000 price point. But if you have the cash, go for it...but personally I would get a ZCO.
    Yeah, pretty much my thinking over the years. And sure... I have nothing against people who DO spend the incredible money on some optics. I don’t berate, or ridicule them. I congratulate & tell them what an awesome scope! As I said, I’d LOVE to be behind a Valdada Recon Tactical 4-28x50. (Yessir! I said “50”! That wasn’t typo. I prefer 50mm objectives.) But it is FAR outside my budget Honestly though, I couldn’t bring myself to drop that much coin on an optic, even if I had the cash. There are too many other things I would want to spend that extra money on. But that’s just me. And yes, I understand competition. I’m not a competitor. Never have been in rifle. Only pistol- USPSA shooting. But not even that any longer. Even so, I do understand the draw to buying THE BEST “Tool” for competition. And how one will spend even above their budget for those superior tools. Again though... $5K?!?+++!!?? Just seems absurdly exorbitant to me! So far above diminishing returns it’s just wasteful to me. “TO ME” being the operative words there gentlemen, so take note. Honestly though, my shooting now(seldom, and purely for my enjoyment), just doesn’t warrant even a $1,500 optic. I’ve set my limit, for my shooting at $1,000.

I really like the high end Night Force and Leupolds.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    I agree both great options! But are you referring to the say, the exceptional $2100 Mark 5 line? Or the Mark 8 line, some upwards of $4500+. And same for Nightforce.

Basic Member
    The money's just not worth what it once was. I know guys who drive around in $80K pickup trucks. LOL.

I have a lot of Weavers and B&L/Bushnell scopes...already paid for.

Basic Member
    Unless you've actually used a Tangent Theta or a Zero Compromise optic, then you don't know what you're missing. Those scopes are the best of the best! If I could afford either brand, I'd have 2-3 of them. But, I'm maxed out in the $3k range when it comes to optics and have only purchased one of those scopes brand new.

Now, If you want to see some crazy priced scopes, look at Hensoldt. They have several model's that MSRP is north of $10k. This one is on sale, and is still close to $8k.

https://www.eurooptic.com/hensoldt-z...iflescope.aspx

For general shooting, most people couldn't tell the difference between a $1500 scope and one that cost 2-3x as much. To someone that spends a lot of time behind one, you can see a world of difference between them.

Banned
    So it’s like being a Wine Connoisseur? Gay!

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Unless you've actually used a Tangent Theta or a Zero Compromise optic, then you don't know what you're missing. Those scopes are the best of the best! If I could afford either brand, I'd have 2-3 of them. But, I'm maxed out in the $3k range when it comes to optics and have only purchased one of those scopes brand new.

Now, If you want to see some crazy priced scopes, look at Hensoldt. They have several model's that MSRP is north of $10k. This one is on sale, and is still close to $8k.

https://www.eurooptic.com/hensoldt-z...iflescope.aspx

For general shooting, most people couldn't tell the difference between a $1500 scope and one that cost 2-3x as much. To someone that spends a lot of time behind one, you can see a world of difference between them.

For sure on the world of difference with quality scopes. Just have to draw a limit somewhere at my age.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    Night Force ATACR 5-25 x 56 ffp, Beast FFP, and NX8 4-32 x 50 FFP are my latest additions. Got a bunch of Leupolds mostly MK-4 8.5 - 25 and some VX III LRT 8.5 - 25. I have decided any future scopes will be Night Force. Love the repeatability of recorded dope.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72