Thread: Rifle barrel change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    The Axis receiver is actually a long action so you are not limited to short action calbers. That being said I agree you are asking for a lot from just one round. I think the 6.5 is closest to meeting your requirements. Get the barrel threaded and put a good brake on it...really makes it more enjoyable to shoot (for you at least ) and to be able to spot your own shots.
    With this good piece of advice and covering more bases.....The .284 Winchester.
    with a 8.5 twist barrel.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    this is a good idea
    with 180 bullets and along throat( seat the bullets long/add case capacity).
    you will need to do some research. it may take a long bbl

this round has successfully shot long range and accurately
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    With this good piece of advice and covering more bases.....The .284 Winchester.
    with a 8.5 twist barrel.

Basic Member
    Well for once i'm going to somewhat agree with Mikey, at least as far as this post goes.
    For most of what the OP wants to accomplish, the 308 would be a good choice, especially for the hunting part due to bullet selection.
    Along with the 06, they have been being used for 1000 yd competition at places like Camp Perry for a very long time.
    We use them for practice shooting at rocks at our camp even further than 1000 yds.
    My grandson has a Savage model 10 FCP in 308 and i think its the most accurate factory rifle ive ever seen.
    We dont shoot for groups, at all, ever, in fact i could actually care less about small groups.
    Our interest lies in the rifle being able to repeat hits on the rocks we shoot at at the distances we hunt.
    And most importantly, us not losing the target due to recoil, and scoring a second round hit if the first one fails, regardless as to how much.
    Using the hammer is the issue, at least to a point, not the actual hammer itself.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well for once i'm going to somewhat agree with Mikey, at least as far as this post goes.
    For most of what the OP wants to accomplish, the 308 would be a good choice, especially for the hunting part due to bullet selection.
    Along with the 06, they have been being used for 1000 yd competition at places like Camp Perry for a very long time.
    We use them for practice shooting at rocks at our camp even further than 1000 yds.
    My grandson has a Savage model 10 FCP in 308 and i think its the most accurate factory rifle ive ever seen.
    We dont shoot for groups, at all, ever, in fact i could actually care less about small groups.
    Our interest lies in the rifle being able to repeat hits on the rocks we shoot at at the distances we hunt.
    And most importantly, us not losing the target due to recoil, and scoring a second round hit if the first one fails, regardless as to how much.
    Using the hammer is the issue, at least to a point, not the actual hammer itself.
    I'm good with that. as long as we state that the 308 and the 30-06 are used at those ranges in competition because they are military cartridges. The only cartridge they are seen competing against successfully is the 223/556. If the 338 federal had been the GI cartridge it would be the one that was in competition.

My position was based on watching guys come to the firing line and get frustrated at their low "308" scores in F/TR. Guys like me, Mike, you and better than us know how to make it work. Give that same guy a 6.5 Creedmoor and he stays in the 10 ring(and X) at 600 yards with no problems. The 308 takes a skilled shooter reloader to shoot to 600 and +, a first time shooter with a little coaching is succesful right out of the gate. I wonder why that is?

Yobuck, how old is your grandson? :)
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    in spite or your opinion i will stick with mine.
    we had a guy bring a 6.5 cm to a 600 yard match. he could not hit the target in his first 20 shots. when all his ammo was gone he left with a couple of hits.
    you ignored the fact that 600 yd benchrest record was held by a 308 win for years until recently. you say it is palma and fclass only BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.
    there are no 6.5 creenmore benchrest records.
    inspite of all the hype about 6.5 cm...THERE ARE NO COMPETITIVE 6.5 CM'S IN BR OR F CLASS...where accuracy counts.
    \claim what you want...the facts from the results do not support your opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I'm good with that. as long as we state that the 308 and the 30-06 are used at those ranges in competition because they are military cartridges. The only cartridge they are seen competing against successfully is the 223/556. If the 338 federal had been the GI cartridge it would be the one that was in competition.

My position was based on watching guys come to the firing line and get frustrated at their low "308" scores in F/TR. Guys like me, Mike, you and better than us know how to make it work. Give that same guy a 6.5 Creedmoor and he stays in the 10 ring(and X) at 600 yards with no problems. The 308 takes a skilled shooter reloader to shoot to 600 and +, a first time shooter with a little coaching is succesful right out of the gate. I wonder why that is?

Yobuck, how old is your grandson? :)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    in spite or your opinion i will stick with mine.
    we had a guy bring a 6.5 cm to a 600 yard match. he could not hit the target in his first 20 shots. when all his ammo was gone he left with a couple of hits.
    you ignored the fact that 600 yd benchrest record was held by a 308 win for years until recently. you say it is palma and fclass only BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.
    there are no 6.5 creenmore benchrest records.
    inspite of all the hype about 6.5 cm...THERE ARE NO COMPETITIVE 6.5 CM'S IN BR OR F CLASS...where accuracy counts.
    \claim what you want...the facts from the results do not support your opinion

Point is that the 6.5 Creedmore will outshout a 308 at medium to long range all day everyday with equivalent shooters. For hunting the downrange ballistics are better. Recoil is lower.

You get your 308 and Ill bring a 6.5 Creedmoor. 12lb maximum. Get 60 rounds together and I will get 60. We will compete at 800 and 1000 yards for smallest groups. Range must be 1000 feet or lower elevation. 5,000 into the pot. Winner takes all.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    so just to be clear.
    my OPINION is based on documented FACTS,
    your OPINION is based on YOUR OPINION.
    INSTEAD OF A MADE UP MATCH,
    just bring your 6.5 to any fclass match.palma match.
    and PUBLISH the results, vs OPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Point is that the 6.5 Creedmore will outshout a 308 at medium to long range all day everyday with equivalent shooters. For hunting the downrange ballistics are better. Recoil is lower.

You get your 308 and Ill bring a 6.5 Creedmoor. 12lb maximum. Get 60 rounds together and I will get 60. We will compete at 800 and 1000 yards for smallest groups. Range must be 1000 feet or lower elevation. 5,000 into the pot. Winner takes all.

Banned
    i have been scouring the internet for actual DATA of 308 vs 6.5 SHOOTING ACCURACY.
    zero zip nada
    one big video....the rifles are not the same, and in spite of the claim, THEN NEVER SHOOT AND MEASURE GROUPS.
    they make claims based on BALLISTIC DATA, but zero real world feed back.
    big hunting site article, up front lets talk about accuracy...BUT THEY NEVER DO AN ACCURACY SHOOT. just charts and graphs.
    even justifies with"mil data" that shows 6.5 netter than 308 175 load EXCEPT the 175 data is old/out of date, not the current load.
    what i can see is they are very close. but i have yet to see a side by side, comparable rifles, target data.

side note the current mil smk 175 /imr4064 sniper load is done on high speed production equipment and still is producing 1.x" at 300 yards,
    the spec is 3.5 max at 300, all lots have been way under.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Robinhood;

Yobuck, how old is your grandson? :)[/QUOTE]

The one owning the 308 is now 20 and a college student.
    We bought him a Savage Axis in 243 when he was about 11 as i recall, and the 308 when he was about 13 or 14.
    He had been shooting our 223s since he was big enough to shoot, and had considerable practice with those at rocks and clay birds.
    The Axis was just a walking around type hunting gun, but he really learned to shoot well at distance using the 308.
    My oldest grandson is now 40, and a trauma surgeon at the childrens hospital in Philly, and known as CHOP.
    He is a shooter/hunter also, but due to his profession dosent get much time.
    Theres much demand for trauma surgeons in places like Philly, and just across the river is Camden NJ.
    He also has a son who is now 12, one of my 7 great grand children.