Quote Originally Posted by 000Robert View Post
I agree with you. I am just starting to learn gunsmithing and need to save money when I can.
Howdy & welcome to ya Robert. Here is a piece of advice I will give. “ make it your point to learn at your pace. If you are able to teach yourself, kudos”

I started light Gunsmithing work over 20 years ago. Building firearms for me came at the end of the Clinton AWB. This, after the ban expired in ‘04, was the “beginning” of the DIY firearms builders movement. Even though some like talking about building them before, heck even in the 80’s! Which is sheer nonsense.

For ever & ever, Gunsmithing has been mainly an “Old Boys Club”. Very similar in the world of Knifemaking, rather, knifesmithing. After centuries of being told how “other worldly” the knives & Guns made by these smiths are, well they just can’t help but believe the rhetoric themselves. Most of ‘em don’t like me because I openly release every secret I come across. I also run into hate which takes the form of “How dare this one armed cripple think he can do what WE do”!

My advice is learn on your own. NEVER pay someone to learn. It will be easy to find who to & NOT to listen to. Look for Anger. When a person “calls out” another, and you can “hear” the anger in there confrontation. Not someone I would want to from. Just pay attention. Quickly you'll see the trends.