Thread: Where to get older magazines for "flatback" action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Most likely you will have aquire the parts used from somebody on the forum or eBay. I think all of the parts inventory has been depleted.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Most likely you will have aquire the parts used from somebody on the forum or eBay. I think all of the parts inventory has been depleted.
    That just seems crazy. There has to be thousands of older savage long action rifles out there. makes me wonder if buying an older flatback action is a good idea or not.

Quote Originally Posted by zloe View Post
    That just seems crazy. There has to be thousands of older savage long action rifles out there. makes me wonder if buying an older flatback action is a good idea or not.
    I know. I ended up converting my stagger feed to center feed because I couldn’t find parts. I would bet there is someone out in the world that have the tools and technical ability to make a run of them. Just have to find them and convince them there’s a few bucks to made.

Basic Member
    I know. I ended up converting my stagger feed to center feed because I couldn’t find parts. I would bet there is someone out in the world that have the tools and technical ability to make a run of them. Just have to find them and convince them there’s a few bucks to made.
    how difficult was the conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by zloe View Post
    how difficult was the conversion?
    Not hard. I didn’t even file/grind out the rear of receiver like most do. I just very slightly bent the rear tab on the centerfeed mag tab. I then folded some cardboard and started test fitting it in my stock to see where it should sit. Once I was satisfied I got glued the magwell in place and assembled. Just don’t put hot glue along the sides as it will limit the natural flex in the feed lips.

Basic Member
    Not hard. I didn’t even file/grind out the rear of receiver like most do. I just very slightly bent the rear tab on the centerfeed mag tab. I then folded some cardboard and started test fitting it in my stock to see where it should sit. Once I was satisfied I got glued the magwell in place and assembled. Just don’t put hot glue along the sides as it will limit the natural flex in the feed lips.
    Got any pictures of this travesty?
    It very well may be what I end up doing.
    Mind telling me what parts I would need to accomplish this after I take the MAGNUM magazine off the old flat-back receiver? magazine well, spring, follower... anything else?