Thread: Load workup bullet advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I shoot a lot of 308 and always start my load .5 under mid range load to .5 over mid range seat at 0.018 -0.022 off the lands and save some $$$ and use Sierra 150gr. match kings, CCI lr primer and you will be good to go.
    Also never change more than one thing at a time because you will not know what worked.
    I don't bother with ladder groups or OCW I start with 3 shot groups at different loads and go from there, but when done always verify with 5 or 10 shot groups.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    I shoot a lot of 308 and always start my load .5 under mid range load to .5 over mid range seat at 0.018 -0.022 off the lands and save some $$$ and use Sierra 150gr. match kings, CCI lr primer and you will be good to go.
    Also never change more than one thing at a time because you will not know what worked.
    I don't bother with ladder groups or OCW I start with 3 shot groups at different loads and go from there, but when done always verify with 5 or 10 shot groups.
    What are you shooting these in?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    This is similar to what I do also. Usually start mid weight and work up. You may not call it OCW, but in a way that's what you're doing. Shooting groups in .x increments until you find a nice group then repeat to confirm. Most of the time col doesn't have to be messed with unless you really want to fine tune.

OP - pick a bullet you like, load some up and shoot them. Unless your rifle is really picky you should not have to change bullet types at 300 yards. For that range the 150's will work fine and have slightly less recoil too.