Thread: Suppressed hunting build?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The biggest problem with subsonic ammo is the lack of bullets that will expand at subsonic speeds. The only bullet I'm aware of, that MAY work, is made by Lehigh Defense. I have a couple boxes (it's stupid expensive) to try on some hogs or maybe a doe this season. I just finished a 300BLK SBR that I'm shooting suppressed. Those subsonic rounds (even other brands) typically drop 11" from my 100yd zero with supers. At 75yds it's about a 7" drop. I love the idea of being able to whisper-quietly take out a sounder of hogs in one sitting; but, like so many things, the idea and reality are very far apart. Lol. Sure, a non expanding bullet will kill if placed properly. The problem is: recovering an animal that was able to run 100 yards without any blood trail at all.

Honestly, I'd give up on the idea of hunting with subsonics. Hunting suppressed with standard velocity (supersonic) ammo is SO pleasant that, once you try it, you'll never want to hunt without a suppressor. Game has a VERY difficult time discerning where a shot came from out of a suppressed rifle. The only thing they hear is the sonic crack and not the sound of the rifle firing. This tends to confuse them and I've had deer and hogs stand there, not knowing which way to run. Lol. Best of all, though, is the recoil reduction - it's better than most brakes and you don't need muffs! If you choose the route of shooting regular a no with a suppressor, you can use the billet of your choice and the only range limitations are your ability and your cartridge's capability. Build something in the 6.5mm family, develop a good load, thread on a Thunderbeast or Crux .30 cal suppressor and start knocking down deer out to 700yds.....or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by BrushyHillGuide View Post
    The biggest problem with subsonic ammo is the lack of bullets that will expand at subsonic speeds. The only bullet I'm aware of, that MAY work, is made by Lehigh Defense. I have a couple boxes (it's stupid expensive) to try on some hogs or maybe a doe this season. I just finished a 300BLK SBR that I'm shooting suppressed. Those subsonic rounds (even other brands) typically drop 11" from my 100yd zero with supers. At 75yds it's about a 7" drop. I love the idea of being able to whisper-quietly take out a sounder of hogs in one sitting; but, like so many things, the idea and reality are very far apart. Lol. Sure, a non expanding bullet will kill if placed properly. The problem is: recovering an animal that was able to run 100 yards without any blood trail at all.

Honestly, I'd give up on the idea of hunting with subsonics. Hunting suppressed with standard velocity (supersonic) ammo is SO pleasant that, once you try it, you'll never want to hunt without a suppressor. Game has a VERY difficult time discerning where a shot came from out of a suppressed rifle. The only thing they hear is the sonic crack and not the sound of the rifle firing. This tends to confuse them and I've had deer and hogs stand there, not knowing which way to run. Lol. Best of all, though, is the recoil reduction - it's better than most brakes and you don't need muffs! If you choose the route of shooting regular a no with a suppressor, you can use the billet of your choice and the only range limitations are your ability and your cartridge's capability. Build something in the 6.5mm family, develop a good load, thread on a Thunderbeast or Crux .30 cal suppressor and start knocking down deer out to 700yds.....or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I was thinking is you use a can fine. Just use what you always use. Its still going to crack but not boom. The only reason for complete silence is if your doing something you might better not do anyways. And if your real close 35-50 yards you don't hear the crack much anyway if any..

Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    The only reason for complete silence is if your doing something you might better not do anyways.
    That's a broad statement.

Some people like to make the biggest boom, while some like to be as quiet as they can - just because.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.