Thread: To clean or not to clean, that is the question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I agree with SavRimfire. Get a carbon fiber rod and try to stay away from the SS rods.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.h View Post
    I agree with SavRimfire. Get a carbon fiber rod and try to stay away from the SS rods.
    I use a carbon fiber rod in all my 17's, I think it's a Gunslick brand. X2 on using any cleaning rod that isn't at least coated and with all the really good chemical cleaners that are available for copper and carbon removal, there is no need to use anything but nylon brushes and NEVER use a SS brush.

I had a gunsmith, that specializes in Savages, tell me a lot of people do more harm than good by improperly cleaning their barrels, specifically rimfire barrels and the use of brushes.

I've also been told by multiple custom barrel makers that if you don't use a proper fitting bore guide to clean your barrel, you're better off not cleaning it at all.

Basic Member
    Just a couple of thoughts: you can make your own bore guide by drilling out a spent appropriate shell, in this case an empty 17HMR shell. Also, I frequently use a wood doweling to push wet/dry patches through the bore; I "shave" one end of the doweling (for about a 3/4" length), down a bit so the patch will fit over the doweling and into the bore without any difficulty. There is no way a wood doweling should damage a bore.