Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have mine, and I finally took it out and shot it last week.

I'm generally happy with it. FGMM groups at under an inch at 100yds. With the rebate, it'll have cost me less than $520 shipped, plus FFL fees and taxes (Welcome to the People's Republic of California).

Like everybody says, the magazine is a POS. It was about 50% feeding... I finally gave up and used it as a single shot. I've just bought an OEM Savage 4-round mag (fits perfectly), and I'm hoping for better results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I have mine, and I finally took it out and shot it last week.

I'm generally happy with it. FGMM groups at under an inch at 100yds. With the rebate, it'll have cost me less than $520 shipped, plus FFL fees and taxes (Welcome to the People's Republic of California).

Like everybody says, the magazine is a POS. It was about 50% feeding... I finally gave up and used it as a single shot. I've just bought an OEM Savage 4-round mag (fits perfectly), and I'm hoping for better results.
    my stock 10 rd mag seems to be feeding better with useage on it. also, getting it seated properly is a little tricky but makes a big difference how it feeds. for my purposes, slow fire from the bench, it will do, for now. eventually, i would rather put the $200 for a bottom metal and mag upgrade towards a chassis, maybe.
    Last edited by swadiver; 03-13-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    ... i would rather put the $200 for a bottom metal and mag upgrade towards a chassis, maybe.
    I'm going to wait and see if/when MagPul makes bottom metal (bottom polymer?) for Savages. Their bottom metal (polymer!) for their R700 stock can be used without their stock...

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I'm going to wait and see if/when MagPul makes bottom metal (bottom polymer?) for Savages. Their bottom metal (polymer!) for their R700 stock can be used without their stock...
    Source of the Magpul DBM not requiring their Hunter stock? First I've heard of that...

What inlet would it use?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    my stock 10 rd mag seems to be feeding better with useage on it. also, getting it seated properly is a little tricky but makes a big difference how it feeds. for my purposes, slow fire from the bench, it will do, for now. eventually, i would rather put the $200 for a bottom metal and mag upgrade towards a chassis, maybe.
    i have about 250 rounds through my 2015 savage model 10 fcp-sr in 308 and the mag that come with the gun has performed flawlessly. i usually load to 8, which is plenty for me, and i also find that the mag is easy to load; much easier than an m1a mag for instance. i have found the gun itself to be awesome. i run a nikon prostaff 5 on it and it has been exceptionally accurate with all types of ammo.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by miscverb View Post
    i have about 250 rounds through my 2015 savage model 10 fcp-sr in 308 and the mag that come with the gun has performed flawlessly. i usually load to 8, which is plenty for me, and i also find that the mag is easy to load; much easier than an m1a mag for instance. i have found the gun itself to be awesome. i run a nikon prostaff 5 on it and it has been exceptionally accurate with all types of ammo.
    Yes, but many (most?) of us feel cheated if we can not utilize the full advertised capacity of any mag. How are the mags doing now filled to the advertised capacity of 10? Is there any cheaper aftermarket mag than the $100 Dark Eagle which is often out of stock?
    Hopefully Savage has or will address their new double stack mag issues. The cost of a Savage mag (if it works OK with 10 rounds) is how much? Less than $100, I am sure.

Nobody ( AFAIK) with single stack AICS mags has any issues loading 10.

My .223 Magpul mags take precisely 30 rounds. I never have had any issue that would ever make me want to load 29 or 28 rounds.
    The point is that Magpul advertizes 30 round capacity and AICS says 10 round capacity for their respective mags and they both deliver...pretty much 100% of the time. OK, maybe 99.99% of the time. :)

Are owners still NOT buying Savage double stack mags as spares? Are most owners forking out the big $$ still for the Dark Eagle?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Yes, but many (most?) of us feel cheated if we can not utilize the full advertised capacity of any mag. How are the mags doing now filled to the advertised capacity of 10? Is there any cheaper aftermarket mag than the $100 Dark Eagle which is often out of stock?
    Hopefully Savage has or will address their new double stack mag issues. The cost of a Savage mag (if it works OK with 10 rounds) is how much? Less than $100, I am sure.

Nobody ( AFAIK) with single stack AICS mags has any issues loading 10.

My .223 Magpul mags take precisely 30 rounds. I never have had any issue that would ever make me want to load 29 or 28 rounds.
    The point is that Magpul advertizes 30 round capacity and AICS says 10 round capacity for their respective mags and they both deliver...pretty much 100% of the time. OK, maybe 99.99% of the time. :)

Are owners still NOT buying Savage double stack mags as spares? Are most owners forking out the big $$ still for the Dark Eagle?

i have 3 savage mags, yes i have bought them as spares (about $58) and two darkeagle's as well. when i started reading the thread i thought the factory mags were going to be super junk. i have not found that to be the case in my experience running 8 or 10.
    Last edited by miscverb; 03-22-2015 at 07:47 PM.

BigDave
    I think many of the early ones were junk. Apparntly Savage as done some mods and/or QC to help solve the mag issue. Nice to hear things are improving. The 10 FCP-SR can be Savages best gun for guys wanting 10 rounds with out having to buy a new bottom metal. But the magazine must be good or the whole concept falls on its face.
    Why did you spend almost double the $$ for two Dark Eagle mags if the Savage OEM were doing so well? Thats 200 bux! Just curious.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I think many of the early ones were junk. Apparntly Savage as done some mods and/or QC to help solve the mag issue. Nice to hear things are improving. The 10 FCP-SR can be Savages best gun for guys wanting 10 rounds with out having to buy a new bottom metal. But the magazine must be good or the whole concept falls on its face.
    Why did you spend almost double the $$ for two Dark Eagle mags if the Savage OEM were doing so well? Thats 200 bux! Just curious.
    Variety, and my son is probably going to pick a 10 FCP as well. I also run pmag, tapco, gi, circle 10, promag, etc. on my other guns too.