Thread: When and how to best clean my Savage model 12?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    As to cleaning-

I am a sucker for product claims.
    Over the years, starting with Hoppe's #9, then going to about two dozen other brands and products, all around and dedicated for single purpose cleaning, i.e. lead or carbon or copper or other worldly metals or carbon based materials, I have reaffirmed a prior observation, including but not limited to Outer's foam cleaner, Eezox, Iosso, Shooter's Choice products, to a bunch more.

NO MATTER WHAT, ONE CAN CLEAN PER INSTRUCTIONS WITH ANY GIVEN PRODUCT, AND THEN USE ANOTHER PRODUCT ON A "WHISTLE CLEAN" ACTION AND BARREL, STUFF WILL STILL COME OUT ON THE NEW PATCH.

Anyone with ONE product? PatchOut and Accelerator to be received shortly but I am not thrilled at all with sitting at a range in 15 degree weather in a wind waiting for it to work after every five or ten shots.

I like the Shooter's Choice but it stinks up the house when cleaning inside, never mind the trash pail in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    As to cleaning-

I am a sucker for product claims.
    Over the years, starting with Hoppe's #9, then going to about two dozen other brands and products, all around and dedicated for single purpose cleaning, i.e. lead or carbon or copper or other worldly metals or carbon based materials, I have reaffirmed a prior observation, including but not limited to Outer's foam cleaner, Eezox, Iosso, Shooter's Choice products, to a bunch more.

NO MATTER WHAT, ONE CAN CLEAN PER INSTRUCTIONS WITH ANY GIVEN PRODUCT, AND THEN USE ANOTHER PRODUCT ON A "WHISTLE CLEAN" ACTION AND BARREL, STUFF WILL STILL COME OUT ON THE NEW PATCH.

Anyone with ONE product? PatchOut and Accelerator to be received shortly but I am not thrilled at all with sitting at a range in 15 degree weather in a wind waiting for it to work after every five or ten shots.

I like the Shooter's Choice but it stinks up the house when cleaning inside, never mind the trash pail in the kitchen.
    I agree with all of this, except, why would you clean after every five to ten shots? Especially in 15 degree weather lol. I say this not disparagingly, as I used to think like this too, because that's what I had read that you should do. But now I just keep shooting, unless/until accuracy starts to suffer. I do the intensive cleaning at home where it's warm.
    I think you'll like the Patch-Out and Accelerator products. That's about all I use anymore. Maybe a quick pre-clean with Hoppe's to remove gross carbon buildup before using the Patch-out. The thing that's great about the Patch-out, is that you can safely leave it in the barrel overnight. I frequently do. Its non-toxic and i do not find the smell objectionable. Infact, i like the smell. Apply the Accelerator first, liberally, with a patch or brass-cored nylon brush and a good bore guide. Leave it in the barrel; do not push it out with a clean patch. Then immediately follow up with a good dose of the Patch-Out, applied the same way. Again, leave it in the barrel for at least 15 minutes, or preferably overnight. Put the rifle in a cleaning cradle with the muzzle ever so slightly down. Put a plastic cup under the muzzle to catch the drips. Come back in the morning and push another wet patch thru the barrel, then immediately follow up with a couple of dry patches. You will be amazed at all the dark blue (copper) that comes out. Repeat if you feel it's necessary but I generally don't. I never waste time scrubbing a barrel repeatedly like I used to anymore. Just preclean lightly, put the good stuff in there and leave it alone to do its work. After its clean I push one patch saturated with Kroil thru the barrel, and one dry one, and call it good.
    If you feel that you're getting hard carbon deposits in the throat area, they sell a product called Carb-out that works well too. Just don't get it on any painted or wood finishes.