Thread: Air rifles???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Air rifle scopes are made to take recoil both ways and usually have a glass reticle. The sudden jolt and learch forward seems to have an ill effect on wire reticles. I once thought a good centerfire scope would be sufficient for a spring piston air rifle, but after 5 shots my 36 Leupold gave up. It would be best to have one rated for air rifles.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Air rifle scopes are made to take recoil both ways and usually have a glass reticle. The sudden jolt and learch forward seems to have an ill effect on wire reticles. I once thought a good centerfire scope would be sufficient for a spring piston air rifle, but after 5 shots my 36 Leupold gave up. It would be best to have one rated for air rifles.
    ^ this, for real. Powerful spring-piston air rifles are brutal on scopes. My old RWS has made more than one "baby rattles" as you described, before I became convinced of the necessity to put a true airgun-rated scope on it. I have a Swift 6.5-20x44 on it and it's held up pretty well so far. I think it's the one Dean linked above, but his link didn't work for me so I can't say for sure. Also have an adjustable, airgun-rated mount for the scope on mine, and it is a big help. Still, with these specialty optics and mounts, true precision has been elusive with mine. I feel it's due to the severe vibration and back-and-forth motion generated by the piston mechanism. Very hard to keep a large scope zeroed with all that going on. Sounds hard to believe, being "just an airgun" and all, but true.