Thread: What calilber for my SA build?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    b.s. i rechambered my savage 223 with a 9 twist to a 22x250ai.
    no problem with 69 gr bullets at all. never tried heavier but they might work also.
    What part of my statement was BS? I simply stated that if the OP doesn't reload, then the .22-250 is a waste of time. There is very little factory ammunition out there for the .22-250 heavier than 55 grains, and what there is runs a flat based semi-spitzer bullet that doesn't have any better BC than a 55 grain bullet.

Sure the 55 grain .22-250 will reach 600 yards, but there are better long range ammunition options for the .223 if you have the right twist. I'd stick to the .223 before going with a .22-250 and being stuck with factory ammunition. If the OP does reload then everything I said was moot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    What part of my statement was BS? I simply stated that if the OP doesn't reload, then the .22-250 is a waste of time. There is very little factory ammunition out there for the .22-250 heavier than 55 grains, and what there is runs a flat based semi-spitzer bullet that doesn't have any better BC than a 55 grain bullet.

Sure the 55 grain .22-250 will reach 600 yards, but there are better long range ammunition options for the .223 if you have the right twist. I'd stick to the .223 before going with a .22-250 and being stuck with factory ammunition. If the OP does reload then everything I said was moot.
    well if you take the time to read the op and look at the pictures you might see why i said that.
    at least to my old eyes that looks like a loading press attached to a very nice loading bench
    and he did mention 22x250?