Thread: Do I have a Go - NO GO Issue ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Tell me something…..When you set the headspace on this install, did you have the extractor and the ejector on the bolt removed? Or did you set the headspace with (1)the ejector AND extractor on the bolt? (2) Only the extractor on the bolt? (3) Only the ejector on the bolt? (4) Neither the ejector or the extractor on the bolt?

Dave
    Dave, I had the extractor and ejector on the bolt ... but the gauges have a cut out for the ejector so that was not an issue.

When I opened the bolt the extractor was in solid contact with the bottom rim of the gauge and pulled it out, so it was not resting on the rim or anything like that.

After tightening the barrel nut down, the go and no go gauges did what they were supposed to do.

I can see by looking at the bolt and the distance of putting the washer in wrong area what I did. The washer and the bolt head were cammed in the receiver housing adding x amount of thousands gap to the head space gauge.

After all the Thompson Contenders I have worked on and all the other guns I have nurtured back to health, this was a mistake on my part, but I caught it.

I will fix this Monday for sure.

wll

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by wlleven View Post
    Dave, I had the extractor and ejector on the bolt ... but the gauges have a cut out for the ejector so that was not an issue.
    I could be wrong on this one…..but I "smell" ejector as an issue when you set the headspace. I'm agreeing with the others in that the washer behind the lugs should not matter as the bolt lugs close and mate up against the inside of the chamber. So, it wouldn't matter how many (in theory…in practical terms it would) washers you put "in there", that would not change headspace.

So, I think the ejector may have been pushing against your go gauge when you set your headspace. Or the ejector perhaps pushed the gauge out to where it was some how cocked and set the headspace wrong.

If it were me, I would remove both the ejector and extractor and double check the headspace. Remove that washer first if you want. But then you will see if your first setting was on or off.

MHO

Dave

Basic Member
    I agree, the washer changes nothing, for head space.

wlleven
    Guys, you all may be right, I'll remove the ejector and then give it a go !

wll