Thread: .17 Hornet Off to Factory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JLShipley
    Quote Originally Posted by robert de View Post
    I measured my case length after 2 reloads 2.530 looks like they have stretched about .018 I don't think they will male another reload. What length were your cases when you noticed cracking I'm pretty sure I'll have to send this gun back also. Seems some savage comes good some do not. I Have 5 first 6-5-284 had 6inch of rifling missing they had me a new gun in a week the next one was great . no. 2 youth 7.08 great gun shoots 3/4 groups 3rd 6.5 longrange it went back they fixed extraction but gun not up to par. 4th 17 hornet now looks like it will go back. 5th 17hmr this is a good gun. It seems that we have to do the quality control and I think a lot never get sent back do to lack of knowledge. But I still buy savage hopeful they will fix this one.
    What are you trimming the 1ST fired brass to? Are we talking .17 Hornet.....
    My trim is 1.340 to 1.350, COL 1.714 with a 20 gr V-Max

robert de
    Quote Originally Posted by JLShipley View Post
    What are you trimming the 1ST fired brass to? Are we talking .17 Hornet.....
    My trim is 1.340 to 1.350, COL 1.714 with a 20 gr V-Max
    Yes the 17 hornet sorry about miss info. started out 1.350 after first fired round measured 1.45 second reload went to 1.48 to 1.50 I just think this is a lot of case growth. I think I'll trim back to 1.35 and reload again. I'm using 9.8gr lil gun with good groups this load started at 9.3 and work up groups got better as I took them up at 9.8 I am starting to flatten the primer so this is max for me. I have not speed check my reloads yet, but the factory loads clock about 3700 with my chronoghraph.Sometimes I have feed problems but most the time common failure is extracting extractor lets go of shell about half way out the barrel This is going to be a good gun for a lot of the shooting I do if I can get the bugs worked out. thanks for your reply.

JLShipley
    Yes the 17 hornet sorry about miss info. started out 1.350 after first fired round measured 1.45 second reload went to 1.48 to 1.50 I just think this is a lot of case growth. I think I'll trim back to 1.35 and reload again. I'm using 9.8gr lil gun with good groups this load started at 9.3 and work up groups got better as I took them up at 9.8 I am starting to flatten the primer so this is max for me. I have not speed check my reloads yet, but the factory loads clock about 3700 with my chronoghraph.Sometimes I have feed problems but most the time common failure is extracting extractor lets go of shell about half way out the barrel This is going to be a good gun for a lot of the shooting I do if I can get the bugs worked out. thanks for your reply.
    I would de-prim, clean & size them, trim them to 1.34, at least under 1.35. Then try annealing 25 rounds, then reload and set at Hornady spec's C.O.L for the Bullet type, your using it seem to much powder, cut back to 9.5, that most likely the reason your getting such case growth.
    I've never had that much case growth, maybe after 1 ST fire, 1.37+ then trim to 1.34, I always trim my 1st case reload to low Case length number, after that just keep it under 1.35, normally only have a some that I need to re trim, most of my 3 RD reloads were in spec's.
    Your case feed problem might be you C.O.L., what is your total case/bullet length COL after reloading?

robert de
    I would de-prim, clean & size them, trim them to 1.34, at least under 1.35. Then try annealing 25 rounds, then reload and set at Hornady spec's C.O.L for the Bullet type, your using it seem to much powder, cut back to 9.5, that most likely the reason your getting such case growth.
    I've never had that much case growth, maybe after 1 ST fire, 1.37+ then trim to 1.34, I always trim my 1st case reload to low Case length number, after that just keep it under 1.35, normally only have a some that I need to re trim, most of my 3 RD reloads were in spec's.
    Your case feed problem might be you C.O.L., what is your total case/bullet length COL after reloading?
    With factory round case is 1.35 after this first fire case grows to 1.44. or 1.45 this alone seems too much its like the chamber is to long the case is stretching just above the rim. On my three reloads I started first round 9.1lilgun second 9.5. last load was 9.8 I don't have any loaded right now but I have some once fired factory that I will work on and give your advice a try but I don't think 9.8 is too stout hodgdon says 10 gr lilgun max but i'll go back to 9.5 and see. I have what is called a 17 cut. That is almost identical to the 17 hornet. And I don't get this excessive growth in this gun. My overall loaded length is 1.715
    Last edited by robert de; 09-21-2013 at 07:56 PM.

robert de
    With factory round case is 1.35 after this first fire case grows to 1.44. or 1.45 this alone seems too much its like the chamber is to long the case is stretching just above the rim. On my three reloads I started first round 9.1lilgun second 9.5. last load was 9.8 I don't have any loaded right now but I have some once fired factory that I will work on and give your advice a try but I don't think 9.8 is too stout hodgdon says 10 gr lilgun max but i'll go back to 9.5 and see. I have what is called a 17 cut. That is almost identical to the 17 hornet. And I don't get this excessive growth in this gun. My overall loaded length is 1.715
    This is the steps for my 17 cut.

JLShipley
    I Know, they seem to be about 1.35, had some from factory 1.338 to 1.35, I'm just going off Hornady Re-Load Book for the .17 Hornet, shows case length 1.34 to 1.35, I trim them short, 1ST reload, they don.t seem to grow as much,.
    like your 17 cut.......COL is right in there, but if your re loading with a longer case than let say 1.35, bullet might be in further, which might bring up pressure? just a thought, might be off base on this one, but it seems I heard this before.
    Keep it safe, I'll let you know how replacement gun is, once I get it.

robert de
    I Know, they seem to be about 1.35, had some from factory 1.338 to 1.35, I'm just going off Hornady Re-Load Book for the .17 Hornet, shows case length 1.34 to 1.35, I trim them short, 1ST reload, they don.t seem to grow as much,.
    like your 17 cut.......COL is right in there, but if your re loading with a longer case than let say 1.35, bullet might be in further, which might bring up pressure? just a thought, might be off base on this one, but it seems I heard this before.
    Keep it safe, I'll let you know how replacement gun is, once I get it.
    Your right Jim I back my new loads off to 9.6 in these small cases .1gr. can be a lot when close to top end better safe than sorry. My daughters deer season is about to start so we will be working with her 7.08 for awhile now.