Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    stangfish
    There is a proper way to do this.

daviscustom
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    There is a proper way to do this.
    4" disc grinder or a dremel tool?

I have one to do too.......so I'll bite, what is the proper way to face off the front of the receiver?

My plan was to chuck it up in the lathe with brass shims to keep from mussing up the finish....then dial indicate on the OD of the receiver, then tap it around and adjust the run-out to zero in two locations so I know it is running true....then face off the notch.

Can i rely on the inside of the receiver being concentric with the OD?....or do I need to have a way to set it up based on the bolt lug recesses?
    Last edited by daviscustom; 09-03-2013 at 09:40 PM.

sinman
    Quote Originally Posted by daviscustom View Post
    4" disc grinder or a dremel tool?

I have one to do too.......so I'll bite, what is the proper way to face off the front of the receiver?

My plan was to chuck it up in the lathe with brass shims to keep from mussing up the finish....then dial indicate on the OD of the receiver, then tap it around and adjust the run-out to zero in two locations so I know it is running true....then face off the notch.

Can i rely on the inside of the receiver being concentric with the OD?....or do I need to have a way to set it up based on the bolt lug recesses?
    That is the wrong way. You need an action holding jig where you can adjust front and rear in 4 directions independently. I built my own and I use PT&G rod and bushings.

daviscustom
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    That is the wrong way. You need an action holding jig where you can adjust front and rear in 4 directions independently. I built my own and I use PT&G rod and bushings.
    Devin? Sin-Arms?

I figured my way wasn't the right way....I like making a threaded insert for the front and a tight fitting rod to go in the bolt raceway....live center in the front and adjust rod for zero runout in the rear. Seems like that should do nicely
    Last edited by daviscustom; 09-03-2013 at 10:18 PM.