Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
I am not arguing with anyone, but perhaps it would be clearer to actually do the math. (I love "math in real life.")

If your mil scope uses a true trigonometric radian measurement, in which there are 2π radians in a circle, than at 100 yards (3600 inches), under ideal conditions, an adjustment of 1 milliradian will move your point of impact 3.6 inches. [ 3600inches x sin(.001radians) = 3.599999 inches ]
1 mil ≈ 3.43774677078493 MOA

However, if you or your equipment use the NATO standard milliradian (6400 in a circle), your measurements will be slightly different
At 100 yards, 1 NATO milliradian will subtend 3.53429 inches
1 NATO milliradian ≈ 3.375 MOA

The difference is slightly less than 2%.

According to Wikipedia (admittedly not the "ne plus ultra" of academic citations) there are several commonly or uncommonly used definitions of the angular mil (milliradian)
Each of the definitions of the angular mil are similar or "close" to the value of the true trigonometric milliradian, but are easier to divide into many parts.

• 16400 of a circle in NATO countries.
  • 16283 The “real” trigonometric unit of angular measurement of a circle in use by telescopic sight manufacturers using (stadiametric) rangefinding in reticles.
  • 16000 of a circle in the former Soviet Union and Finland (Finland phasing out the standard in favour of the NATO standard).
  • 16300 of a circle in Sweden. The Swedish term for this is streck, literally "line". Sweden (and Finland) have not been part of NATO nor the Warsaw Pact. Note however that Sweden has changed its map grid systems and angular measurement to those used by NATO, so the "streck" measurement is obsolete.
Good job being a downer and bringing math into the discussion!

I have a MIL/MOA, MOA/MOA, and MIL/MIL scopes. I prefer matching reticles and adjustments but I haven't found an advantage to either MIL or MOA. And I've never had any problem getting an accurate zero with the .1 MIL adjustments.

Andrew