Thread: Floating the rear tine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Opus Dei
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Opus Dei: My statement had no presumption or inference that the tang is always or sometimes warped downwards, just as a non-free-floated barrel does not necessarily suggest that the barrel is warped. Perhaps I am not understanding what you are saying.
    - I admit that I have never measured the amount of pressure or flex on an unfloated tang.
    - I believe that floating the tang, since unlike some rifles, there is no action screw there, is simply a part of stresslessly bedding the action.
    - Does floating or not floating the tang affect accuracy? Some say yes. I will not argue with them. Some say no. I will not argue with them. I have never done (or seen) any true scientific testing to see which camp is correct.

- Like many things we in the shooting sports world do, if it makes you feel good about your rifle, it is often worth doing for the psychological effect is has, even if it has no discernible or measurable effect.

I am not arguing one way or the other, simply amplifying my earlier post.
    My question was predicated upon the notion that if the tang was warped up, it would obviate relieving the stock since it wouldn't be binding. Really, you could have three things acting upon the tang separately or severally-warped tang, bad inletting or overtorquing action screws.

Actually, barrel warpage is independant of free-floating; that is, it can occur either bedded or floated. I guess you're speaking more about barrel binding?

Otherwise, I agree. It's certainly harmless and may in some cases actually help. I was simply wondering if pre-emptively dealing with a problem that may or may not exist is worth the effort based upon (so far) anecdotal data.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus Dei View Post
    ... barrel warpage is independant of free-floating...
    My point exactly. As the statistician might say, "With no other data, correlation does not imply causation." I believe we are on the same page.