Thread: Oldie but goodie? Savage model 16

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome. Where in NM?

The 7mmRM is a great round for long range hunting. The rifle should do well.

I like the Hornady ELD-X and ELD-M bullets. They did well in my .223, 6BR and .308Win. I'd try them and maybe some Federal with Sierra Game Kings.

Accuracy will depend on finding the right load and you. Pretty sure the rifle will do 1MOA or better. The recoil will take a bit of getting used to. I'd recommend only shooting a few rounds at a time. The slim barrel also means it will heat up faster so 3 round groups is what you should start with. So, shoot 3. Take a break. Shoot 3. Take another break. etc. If you feel or see a flinch then stop and regroup, or even pack up for the day.

I'd recommend a good recoil pad. I use one even when just shooting my .308 with heavy loads (175 and 210gn bullets). Mine is a PAST magnum and it works really well.
    Las Cruces, NM. Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. Small world!

Yes I’m going to try the ELD-X and I will look into the federal you recommended. See which the gun likes better, at least for now until I start reloading.

For recoil, I’ve already installed a limbsaver pad, but I was also thinking about a muzzle break. The barrel isn’t threaded so I’d have to try and trust a gunsmith with the task of threading. Makes me nervous. I’ll likely take it out first and see if the pad is enough and the flinching away.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Las Cruces, NM. Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. Small world!

Yes I’m going to try the ELD-X and I will look into the federal you recommended. See which the gun likes better, at least for now until I start reloading.

For recoil, I’ve already installed a limbsaver pad, but I was also thinking about a muzzle break. The barrel isn’t threaded so I’d have to try and trust a gunsmith with the task of threading. Makes me nervous. I’ll likely take it out first and see if the pad is enough and the flinching away.

Hi, yep, same backyard. If you see someone else with a Savage at the 1000yd range, it's might be me :) I'm usually out there at least once a week.

Basic Member
    If you have a set of calipers measure the diameter of the barrel and then talk to a gunsmith or to one of the muzzle brake manufacturers. My Remington 700 has the factory sporter barrel and was threaded 30 years ago with no problem.

Basic Member
    I’m going to do exactly what Baker siad to do, take the gun out as is and see where it’s at. But I have already put on a limbsaver airtech pad. I bought the pad for my Remington 770 before I knew just how trash that gun was. A slight modification to the pad made it fit on the 116. In your alls’ professional opinions, will the pad be enough and I don’t need to worry about a brake?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I’m going to do exactly what Baker siad to do, take the gun out as is and see where it’s at. But I have already put on a limbsaver airtech pad. I bought the pad for my Remington 770 before I knew just how trash that gun was. A slight modification to the pad made it fit on the 116. In your alls’ professional opinions, will the pad be enough and I don’t need to worry about a brake?

Yes, that was the general consensus from several of us. Sorry it wasn’t more clear. But yeah, should never replace a bunch of components to start. Always have a base line and upgrade parts accordingly.

The limbsaver pad will be fine. I wouldn’t use a brake for 7RM, but that’s up to you. I’m not a fan of muzzle brakes. Noise makers & percussion intensifiers they are!

Basic Member
    The brake is a personal thing. Depends a lot oh how much you plan on shooting it and how well you manage the recoil.

There are a lot of guys who have used the .300Win Mag in shooting competition without brakes.

Basic Member
    Anyone have a recommendation on a picatinny for the flat back? Talley or EGW? I’d like one with a bubble level built in but can’t seem to find one for a flat back.