Thread: Model 12 308 to 7.62x39

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    You mean.... it’s possible to substitute a .308” bullet for a .311” bullet. WOW! I had no clue.

LOL...careful who you are accusing of ignorance.

Now... if you believe that substituting a bullet of .003” less diameter than the bore is a way to superb accuracy....by all means.

I had a small ring Mauser chambered in 7.62x39 and it was a tack driver in a bolt rifle. Like an idiot, I let a friend talk me out of it. Local gunsmith did the rebarrel (308") back around 2004. He did excellent work. Sadly, he's gone now.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You mean.... it’s possible to substitute a .308” bullet for a .311” bullet. WOW! I had no clue.

Now... if you believe that substituting a bullet of .003” less diameter than the bore is a way to superb accuracy....by all means.
    What he is referring to is that some mfgs who cut 7.62x39 barrels are using a groove dia of .308, not the .311 that the AK's use.

Banned
    Oh yeah... I’m aware Charlie. My point, there is sacrificing either way. No FREE LUNCH. You can fire either through either....but need to be aware of pressure and/or accuracy issues. Not a problem of course, just something to think about. The fact is MOST people choose 7.62x39 because of the availability of plentiful, CHEAP, steel cased/Berdan primed ammunition. That is a FACT. Again, MOST people aren’t choosing x39 with the thought of doing a .310 or .308 groove diam., and having some kind of Accuracy Monster! Most people aren’t even aware of different groove diameter barrels in the 7.62’s case, for that matter. I’m not speaking of dedicated reloaders of course. Matt & I have talked quite a bit on things other than just this, & I consider him a friend here. We’ve given ideas back & forth in the past & I’m genuinely interested in his projects. I’m not coming down on anyone who’s chosen the x39 route or saying their rig lacks accuracy. If it works for them, awesome! I honestly don’t care. But simply put, 7.62x39 is not on my list of an PURE accurate build. I can ring off like 5 others without much thought, that would have overall better characteristics. That’s not the same as saying the 7.62x39 CAN’T be accurate. Of course it can be...just as ANY cartridge CAN BE!

My last response was in answer of accusations of Ignorance. The statement I know little about the subject is both divisive & incorrect. An attempt to discredit because he feels a personal insult that x39 is not among my favorite calibers. Ya know guy..... it’s “OK” if we like different cartridges. I never said it sucks & I certainly never discredited it, as he falsely claimed. I simply don’t believe it’s “number 1” as he does. Oh....and news flash.... MOST shooters would agree with me.

I had a small ring Mauser chambered in 7.62x39 and it was a tack driver in a bolt rifle.
    Few years ago a friend had a Savage Scout in 7.62x39 and he said the same.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Few years ago a friend had a Savage Scout in 7.62x39 and he said the same.
    I owned two and they were two of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned, bar none.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    What he is referring to is that some mfgs who cut 7.62x39 barrels are using a groove dia of .308, not the .311 that the AK's use.
    What I'm saying is it doesn't matter as much as people think. I've loaded .311's for a .308 bore and vise-versa with outstanding accuracy in both directions. It's a bit of a myth that keeps perpetuating itself that it matters so much. But people who have never tried it read stuff on the internet and just take it as gospel I guess.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post

Sounds like an uninformed or inexperienced comment to me, considering I've done it for years and shot many, many sub-MOA groups doing this. But if you consider breaking 7 straight 4" clays at 300 yards, on video, using a 4x scout scope (with an 11" holdover) from a Savage 7.62x39 scout to be unacceptable, then I don't know what to tell you.