Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
That's because the trigger was specifically designed to do that as a safety feature. When a firearm is dropped it very rarely ever lands squarely on the butt in a perfectly vertical orientation in which any and all inertia energy would be acting on the trigger in a rearward direction. As such, when it falls in any other orientation inertia will apply force of varying degree to the side of the trigger. Without this safety feature said force from varying angles could result in the firearm discharging which is a bad thing.

Your gunsmith friends claim that "some of them have to be stripped down to free them" is complete B.S. All that happens when the AccuTrigger trips like this is the sear catches on the leading edge of the AccuBlade which locks the trigger to prevent it from being able to be pulled and fully releasing the sear to disengage the firing pin. (See this thread for detailed pics: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...en-bolt-closed) Simply recocking the rifle (lifting the bolt fully and lowering it back down) resets the sear and trigger to it's normal ready-to-fire state.

I've owned dozens of AccuTrigger equipped rifles over the last 15-16 years and scores more have passed through my hands during the same span of time for review/testing. In all that time and with all those AccuTrigger equipped firearms I've only ever had said safety feature trip on me three times, and all three times was while wearing very heavy winter gloves and the glove drug across the blade when I was inserting my finger into the trigger guard. All three times I heard the tattle-tale "click" of the sear partially dropping and being caught by the AccuBlade and I immediately knew what had happened and recocked the rifle before even getting my head down behind the scope.
I received the two model 16's I ordered for my son and daughter and was telling them about this feature. To my surprise, I could not get the sear to trip by side loading the trigger, and I applied a good bit of pressure. Should I be concerned that the safety feature apparently isn't working?