Thread: A different headspace question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Randyc

Thanks for explaining what happend, makes sense now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Randyc

Thanks for explaining what happend, makes sense now.
    First the head space is too tight.

Second you are crunching back your cases so far you are making them fit.

I would adjust the head space so you can at least mostly close the bolt on the Go gaure.

Then:

The better way ito deal with re-size s to get Hornady kit that measures a shell case on the shoulder.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...h-Body-1-Each/

You measure a fired case (out of a single gun).

Adjust the dies very loose and size. You keep doing that until you get .002 shoulder bump back (that's ideal, it will vary a bit as cases are not perfect)

That case is now sized for that chamber.

Repeat with another case if you have another chamber in the same cartridge. If they are close and you case does not cause bolt hard to close in both you are good.

Otherwise its a compromise of bumping it back to .003 or .004 so they both cross fit.

The downside is that the bases will crack sooner (just above the thickest part)

Ideally you get the head space adjusted so close that they fit in both guns with the .002 bump back.
    Nice on a Savage you might be able to do that.

Or you can Separate out the cases and only fire them in that gun

Different case mfg is the easier way to keep them separate.

A side note, with 1 1/2 turns your cases are really scrunched. Watch them carefully, they are going to crack at the base or get a ridge inside in 5 or fewer rounds. Get a paper clip and see if you can feel it down at the base. If you are fortunate they don't break off, just crack and enough left to extract. if not then you need a case extracting tool to get the case remnant out.

I don't know why the Die mfgs have not changed their approach, but they recommend you touch the shell holder in the press and then 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

That is far too much. Its a extremely course thread and a very small amount of turning gets you a relatively lot of distance.

If you have some range pickup brass to practice with that's better. Get the idea of it

That Body that clamps to the blade of your calipers also is used for the OGVIE adaptors that touch the shoulder (OBIGE) of a bullet giving you much better COAL as the bullet tips are out by a lot (OGIVE is as well but not nearly as much as tips)

I actual got the Bullet one and then made my own case adaptor's by darling the 45 caliber bullet one out.

Its not important you hit the case shoulder exact, just that you are on it about midway. The adaptors aren't that much, it just tickled me to make my own tool.

Whole set covers all cartridges.

A lot of this is not in basic reloading and should be, the dies have the same instructions they they had 40 years ago.

Now my brain hurts and I may have stated some of this wrong so correct me if I did.

It not as straight forward as when I started (i.e. most of us did not know better and the knowledge was not spread out if anyone knew or did it). I don't know how far back the minimum bump back goes. It was not common when I started that's for sure.