Thread: Unable to chamber once fired brass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    All good info. I will work on this. Per one posters advice, I will also fire a few factory loads to see if they'll rechamber. I'm pretty sure I followed procedure using my RCBS FL sizing die. All of my gear is RCBS. My neck sizer is Lee. Are you saying that my neck sizing problems could be caused by using a RCBS shell holder with the Lee sizer? My neck sized cases drop into and out of a Lyman head space gauge easily, yet the casing won't chamber. Are you saying the Lee die and Lyman head space gauge are incompatible? I thought head space gauges were designed to prepare casings to fit in all factory chambers. I don't have a custom chamber. Thanks again. I've got some work to do. Hope to get this resolved so that I can reload and get on with the shooting.

SparkyLB
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    . . . Are you saying the Lee die and Lyman head space gauge are incompatible? I thought head space gauges were designed to prepare casings to fit in all factory chambers. I don't have a custom chamber. Thanks again. I've got some work to do. Hope to get this resolved so that I can reload and get on with the shooting.
    No. A Herters FL resizing die is a special animal. So far as I know it's the only die that requires a shellholder that is made for it. Otherwise, cross utilization of shell holders and dies shouldn't be a problem.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLB View Post
    No. A Herters FL resizing die is a special animal. So far as I know it's the only die that requires a shellholder that is made for it. Otherwise, cross utilization of shell holders and dies shouldn't be a problem.
    Herter's dies are the same as any other dies. The only thing that requires a Herter's shell holder is a Herter's press.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

SparkyLB
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Herter's dies are the same as any other dies. The only thing that requires a Herter's shell holder is a Herter's press.
    Thanks Fred. I suppose I don't know what my issue was then. Whatever it was, FL resizing with a different die did the trick.