Thread: Unable to chamber once fired brass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    With the exception of glass bedding the rifle is factory. I looked at the Win brass. On a lot of the cases there is a scratch extending down the body about 5mm. It starts where the shoulder meets the body. I can't say that I see it on the LC brass. I suppose that the scratch could've been caused by my screwing around chambering and unchambering empty cases. I don't have any brand new Win cases as I've FL sized and trimmed everything I have. I don't know what a pristine case looks like.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    With the exception of glass bedding the rifle is factory. I looked at the Win brass. On a lot of the cases there is a scratch extending down the body about 5mm. It starts where the shoulder meets the body. I can't say that I see it on the LC brass. I suppose that the scratch could've been caused by my screwing around chambering and unchambering empty cases. I don't have any brand new Win cases as I've FL sized and trimmed everything I have. I don't know what a pristine case looks like.
    without more info it sounds like your die needs to be set down a little more...it sounds like your pushing the body up and not bumping the shoulder back...in simple terms your die is pushing the brass forward(toward the neck)but not hitting the shoulder enough to push it back...try setting your die deeper(down)a 1/4 turn then size a case and chamber it if still tight go down another 1/4 turn and try another case...let us know if this works or not.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    Once upon a time, I had the "scratch" issue with an Interarms Whitworth in 375 H & H. Turned out to be a check in the chamber from a bad reamer during the manufacturing process. That would be unusual with Savage, but could be worth a phone call to customer service. Another unusual occurrence (but worth checking) might be the depth of the scope base mounting screws.
    Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
    NRA Patron Member