Thread: Getting the carbon out for accuracy (and barrel life).

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    If you are going to shoot coated bullets with moly,danzac or hbn, you want to make **** sure that the barrel is absolutely sterile clean before shooting coated bullets. If you have some hard carbon present, it will do bad things in a hurry. I found out the hard way.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Great feedback sharpshooter. Tonight I purchased a Lucas product to see if it would help clean 260 barrel I suspected of having some hard carbon. If it doesn't work I may try the merc stuff. cant hurt.
    ive heard...but havent tried...sea foam works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If you are going to shoot coated bullets with moly,danzac or hbn, you want to make **** sure that the barrel is absolutely sterile clean before shooting coated bullets. If you have some hard carbon present, it will do bad things in a hurry. I found out the hard way.
    i dont have a bore scope but will make sure that patches are spotless after scrubbing for carbon/soot and copper with bronze brushes and bore foaming. then a little scrubbing with a nylon brush and alcohol to get the cleaners out and then 5 to 10 alcohol soaked patches to make sure its clean and to dry it up a little...i just cleaned to metal about 120 rounds ago so it shouldnt be to bad as the barrel has never really collected much of either.
    if you dont mind can you tell me what you learned the hard way so if i run into any issues ill know what to watch for?

Basic Member
    With the price of Savages, why not just shoot he-l out of them and just throw them away when they stop performing well?
    Or better yet sell the action to some upstart gunsmith somewhere.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    With the price of Savages, why not just shoot he-l out of them and just throw them away when they stop performing well?
    Or better yet sell the action to some upstart gunsmith somewhere.
    ^this +1

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    ive heard...but havent tried...sea foam works very well.

i dont have a bore scope but will make sure that patches are spotless after scrubbing for carbon/soot and copper with bronze brushes and bore foaming. then a little scrubbing with a nylon brush and alcohol to get the cleaners out and then 5 to 10 alcohol soaked patches to make sure its clean and to dry it up a little...i just cleaned to metal about 120 rounds ago so it shouldnt be to bad as the barrel has never really collected much of either.
    if you dont mind can you tell me what you learned the hard way so if i run into any issues ill know what to watch for?
    That's the first I've heard about using "Sea Foam", gotta give that a try. I use the stuff in my F-150 all the time to help keep the injectors clean.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    That's the first I've heard about using "Sea Foam", gotta give that a try. I use the stuff in my F-150 all the time to help keep the injectors clean.
    i never did try the sea foam but i am using mercury power tune(suggested by Fred)and and the MPT works just about as good as the old GM top engine cleaner.
    Last edited by LongRange; 03-09-2015 at 06:11 PM.